Another help me choose a pack thread...

Manakh

FNG
This is my first post here but have lurked as a guest for years.

After a lot of reading and videos I was leaning towards Kifaru, exo, or kuiu... But wasn't sold on anything yet.
Buuuut then I read every page and post and watched both videos on the backpack showdown and this muddied the waters for me!!!

Now I am a different size and build so what I saw in the video may be different...

I am 6'1" very broad shoulder and a very large rib cage. I weigh 260 and sure I could stand to lose 15lbs but I'm not incredibly fat at all I promise (lol) I am quite upper body muscular from my job.
I am thick legged but I have no a$$, lol runs in the family.

So what I am seeking is insight, advice, opinion on brands and fit for me. I'm very concerned about fit with my flat a$$ and hip straps riding down, along with my thicker upper body fit. Growing up we back packed a lot and my dad and I ALWAYS struggled keeping the weight on our hips because we have such flat butts lol

I live on and hunt the west coast of Wa state for elk, deer, and bear day trips so far no camping. I will also be doing idaho white tail 10A as well in November staying in a trailer and just doing day trips.

Bag specific isn't entirely important yet, more the fit of the frame, shoulder and hip straps. But I'm not looking at big stuff, I want to slip through reap rod and brush quietly. I had been looking at 1500-2200 cu in bags though.

I know a lot of companies are very adjustable but hoping to hear some form of opinions!!

Thank you, please no trolling. If I forgot any info needed feel free to ask!! No drama from me, only appreciation.

By your description we have similar body types in almost all respects. But no one could know for sure just how close. I suspect your shoulders may be broader. Anyways, for what it’s worth, I’m a Kifaru fan boy and never had any concerns with the fitment on their packs on me. I own about 9 different packs from them. I have a flat a$$ too and never had a problem with the belt displacing the load on my hips. I do however have a problem keeping my pants up. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is my first post here but have lurked as a guest for years.

After a lot of reading and videos I was leaning towards Kifaru, exo, or kuiu... But wasn't sold on anything yet.
Buuuut then I read every page and post and watched both videos on the backpack showdown and this muddied the waters for me!!!

Now I am a different size and build so what I saw in the video may be different...

I am 6'1" very broad shoulder and a very large rib cage. I weigh 260 and sure I could stand to lose 15lbs but I'm not incredibly fat at all I promise (lol) I am quite upper body muscular from my job.
I am thick legged but I have no a$$, lol runs in the family.

So what I am seeking is insight, advice, opinion on brands and fit for me. I'm very concerned about fit with my flat a$$ and hip straps riding down, along with my thicker upper body fit. Growing up we back packed a lot and my dad and I ALWAYS struggled keeping the weight on our hips because we have such flat butts lol

I live on and hunt the west coast of Wa state for elk, deer, and bear day trips so far no camping. I will also be doing idaho white tail 10A as well in November staying in a trailer and just doing day trips.

Bag specific isn't entirely important yet, more the fit of the frame, shoulder and hip straps. But I'm not looking at big stuff, I want to slip through reap rod and brush quietly. I had been looking at 1500-2200 cu in bags though.

I know a lot of companies are very adjustable but hoping to hear some form of opinions!!

Thank you, please no trolling. If I forgot any info needed feel free to ask!! No drama from me, only appreciation.

How close are you to Buckley and what is your waist size? I have a few Kifaru packs and an Exo you could try on. All my belts are small though so they may not fit.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
By your description we have similar body types in almost all respects. But no one could know for sure just how close. I suspect your shoulders may be broader. Anyways, for what it’s worth, I’m a Kifaru fan boy and never had any concerns with the fitment on their packs on me. I own about 9 different packs from them. I have a flat a$$ too and never had a problem with the belt displacing the load on my hips. I do however have a problem keeping my pants up. LOL.

How close are you to Buckley and what is your waist size? I have a few Kifaru packs and an Exo you could try on. All my belts are small though so they may not fit.

Ya the dreaded plumbers crack!! I deal with packs pushing my pants down all the time!!!
Great to hear this info!!

I am no where close to Buckley, but appreciate the offer very much. I wear a size 40-42 pant depending on brand.

Id go kifaru or seek outside given your size. And id call and get advice from someone that knows the packs at either about sizing and fit for you

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
Id go kifaru or seek outside given your size. And id call and get advice from someone that knows the packs at either about sizing and fit for you
Are they known for being better with guys my size or just more adjustable?

Rodéo

WKR
I'd recommend calling the different high end manufacturers and having them break it down for you. Stone glacier, Kifaru, seek outside, exo. They may even hook you up with custom fitted parts (belt, shoulder straps) if necessary. Stone glacier and kifaru have been very accommodating whenever I've had questions about fit or products.

bozeman

WKR
You will get great service from each of them. I have been quite surprised at how many take the time to discuss with you. Best of luck on your search. Once you find one that fits/hauls well for you, stick with it.....

Drenalin

WKR
For the flat back/no butt guys, it seems like Kifaru is the short track to a proper fit.

I haven't tried Seek Outside (thinking hard about changing that this year), but from what I've read and heard on them I think they offer enough options to get you where you need to be.

I'm an EXO guy, and you might get one of theirs to fit, but I've read where some guys in your category have had trouble even with the K3 frames.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out others, Kifaru and SO are just the ones I thought of when I read your post. You'll need to lay hands on any of them to find out for sure what's going to work for you.

Just to reiterate what was said above all those brands are solid and can’t go wrong with any of them. I was in your position 2 years ago and just like you god didn’t give much of a backyard either so I was concerned with having the belt ride down. I ended up with a kifaru and have no issues with it so far it works great. So that’s one more recommendation to kifaru good luck with it.

The seek outside frame is wider than the others ive seen, thats why i suggested it. Kifaru is the other brand i was looking at when i was looking to upgrade. Just went with SO because of over all weight and more xpac options. Both are spendy but made in america and thats also important to me. Im not quite as big as you but my back and shoulders are wide for my size and i really like the width of the seek pack i recently got. My kuiu is skinnier and i feel like the more i load it up the more it wants to swing side to side and not stay put, plus the frame isnt as tall and i dont feel like their stuff is durable enough for me. I also really like that you can extend the height of the seek packs, i have the 2" extensions in now and it rides well with 75lbs so far rucking. Im gonna put the 4" extensions in soon and see if how it feels. Im 6' tall for reference

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
The seek outside frame is wider than the others ive seen, thats why i suggested it. Kifaru is the other brand i was looking at when i was looking to upgrade. Just went with SO because of over all weight and more xpac options. Both are spendy but made in america and thats also important to me. Im not quite as big as you but my back and shoulders are wide for my size and i really like the width of the seek pack i recently got. My kuiu is skinnier and i feel like the more i load it up the more it wants to swing side to side and not stay put, plus the frame isnt as tall and i dont feel like their stuff is durable enough for me. I also really like that you can extend the height of the seek packs, i have the 2" extensions in now and it rides well with 75lbs so far rucking. Im gonna put the 4" extensions in soon and see if how it feels. Im 6' tall for reference
The kuiu durability are you referring to the bag material, load straps, carbon frame, buckles, or what? Because the bag is made of the same 500d cordura material, granted that doesn't mean made as well at seams or whatever else.

sumyungguy

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
From one big dude to another, I'll steer you to what's worked for me. Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch. Each pack is different, but each pack is effing phenomenal. Stone Glacier has some great packs (Solo, Talus, etc) that have built in pockets for your items and gear (solo has a spotting scope internal pocket) but they're a bit of a pain to get to. Mystery Ranch has exterior pockets and a built in meat shelf that you can't beat.

That being said, you're throwing down money - but you'll get what you pay for. Nothing against Kuiu, or Kifacur, I just haven't used 'em, don't care to, and I'm happy throwing my money at my Mystery Ranch. This is coming from a 6'2" weighing 300 with alot of waist but no badonk.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
Some of these companies after watching the backpack showdown videos aren't as appealing. Like I stated before I'm looking for a day pack that packs out meat 1500-2000 cu inch bag + strapping tripod down. I don't want it super big or wide I am in thicker stuff and reap rod often. The part in the video that throws me off to some options is when going up hill and trying to look up his head was hitting the frame on some of these... That would drive me nuts!!! One company for example was kifaru where his head was hitting the frame, which really bums me out because the stryker xl was/is a front runner for me.

If there is a way to adjust any frames to not interfere and be able to look up then that would be great info!!!

Wilks54

FNG
"I'm looking for a day pack that packs out meat 1500-2000 cu inch bag + strapping tripod down."

the Stone Glacier Approach might be a good fit for what you are looking for. then you could always change out the bag and reuse the frame if you needed more space.

The kuiu durability are you referring to the bag material, load straps, carbon frame, buckles, or what? Because the bag is made of the same 500d cordura material, granted that doesn't mean made as well at seams or whatever else.
For me it seems to be the stitching, i have several spots on the kuiu bags and suspension that are beginning to come apart. No issue with the material or buckles or anything. Its kinda squeaky once it has more than about 40 lbs in it as well and it drives me INSANE. Most importantly i dont feel like the tall frame is tall enough for me under heavy loads and it wants to sway alot when i have a big or heavy load. Couple small tears in the bag i use most often but that was probably just from scraping on sharp rocks and stuff. Ive used my kuiu one heavily since i got it a couple years ago, havent been all that impressed. Also not sure how good their quality control is, one of my bags had a zipper for an interior mesh panel pocket completely stitched over when i got it lol

Pretty sure zach, the guy who did the big pack review, is quite a bit smaller than you so id take that into consideration. It was a great review tho. If i adjust my packs right i dont hit my head when i look up

10ringer

WKR
Some of these companies after watching the backpack showdown videos aren't as appealing. Like I stated before I'm looking for a day pack that packs out meat 1500-2000 cu inch bag + strapping tripod down. I don't want it super big or wide I am in thicker stuff and reap rod often. The part in the video that throws me off to some options is when going up hill and trying to look up his head was hitting the frame on some of these... That would drive me nuts!!! One company for example was kifaru where his head was hitting the frame, which really bums me out because the stryker xl was/is a front runner for me.

If there is a way to adjust any frames to not interfere and be able to look up then that would be great info!!!

I’m not sure how he had his Kifaru frame adjusted in that shootout series but I’m short at 5’9” and my 24” frame has zero contact with my head when I look up. You being taller should have no problems with a Kifaru frame.

Lowg08

WKR
I will share how I solved my issues. Of course I’m built a little different. 6’2” 230 wide shoulder and rib cage and a badonk. Kinda like a duck butt( heavy curve in back butt sticks out). I went with the all
Stone glacier. X curve frame. Avail for scouting, then I swap the avail over to the x curve for day hunts packing meat. For long trips the sky talus 5900 will
Go on the frame. I could also attach the avail to the talus and really have some storage.