Another "how to carry my bow" question

Scoot

WKR
I've read a couple different threads on how to strap my bow onto a pack. The one below was particularly helpful.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...upgrading-to-the-XLT-Lid-on-T2-For-Bowhunters

I'm wondering if I can get my bow strapped in on the top and bottom, like it is above without adding a second lid. Can I get a Grab It for the bottom of my bow and hold the top of my bow in like in the link above with my standard lid while still using this lid for the pack's main lid and not adding a second lid to serve as a bow holder on top?

I like how the bow above is locked in nice and secure on both the top and the bottom, but don't want to deal with a second lid. Is this possible?
Thanks!

bowinhand

WKR
I don't know if you would want to strap your bow too close to the bottom of your pack, what if you take slip and fall on your a$$? the lid and a grab-it should work fine or just the compression straps.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks for the reply, bowinhand. I'm not sure I understand what you mean though... Do you mean that if I use the regular lid (while it's also serving as the lid to the pack) as the top piece to hold the bow in place it'll force the bow to sit too low and make it more likely to get damaged? Is that the primary reason for the second lid- it allows the solid holding of the bow on the top end, but it can sit up higher than a functional pack lid and therefore let the bow sit higher and safer?

MattB

WKR
Grab it + lash strap attached as high as possible on the pack, pretty easy. I usually wrap the lash strap around the riser to keep the top of the bow from shifting. If you are walking through brush, make sure to use somethign to keep your arrows from popping out of the quiver (duct tape over the gripper works well).

You will want to have some protection for your bottom cam, as that will be roughly equal with the lowest spot on your pack. The last thing you want to do is sit down and ding/bend your cam, and it can be hard to fully control the pack when it is loaded with meat. I use 4 sections of a Z-rest which doubles as a glassing pad, and I have read that some others use their jacket.

swat8888

WKR
Yeah you can. Go buy some nylon webbing and some buckles. I think I got sme from REI, 3/4" webbing and thread it through the 4 loops on the standard lid. I use that and my grab it on the bottom with a piece of foam I cut from an old thermarest to protect my cam if I do fall on my arse. Be forewarned I had to send my lid back to get restitched, jus be careful how much pressure will be on those lid loops.

littlebuf

Banned
with the attachment points on the timberline packs its really not that complicated. the horizontal lash kit alone will attach your bow plenty secure. just run both straps (one high, one low) I do however like the grab it. I don't let it carry the bow fully. the horizontal strap wrapped around the riser (as mentioned) and then pulled tight. then the grab it just snug to help support the bow and keep it from swinging. pretty easy and very secure.

Last edited:

Craig4791

WKR
with the attachment points on the timberline packs its really not that complicated. the horizontal lash kit alone will attach your bow plenty secure. just run both straps (one high, one low) I do however like the grab it. I don't let it carry the bow fully however. the horizontal strap wrapped around the riser (as mentioned) and then pulled tight. then the grab it just snug to help support the bow and keep it from swinging. pretty easy and very secure.

X2!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey Scoot Im the creator and thats my pack and Bow. The only way that I made that possible and that it will work ok is if you have something attached to the bottom of your pack to lengthen it so that you dont have to worry about hitting your bow if you do take a fall on your rear. There are so many different ways to put your bow to your Kifaru pack I can go over many of them. I like the way this worked when I posted it because your bow becomes one with your pack. You can get the Lash Kit Kifaru sells and put the bottom of bow in the Grab it and Lash it up higher so you dont have anything to worry about except low hanging vegetation. Good luck let me know if I can assist you further with what you want to accomplish. Your pack Loadout is damn important. If you load things wrong your going to be feeling it. Having the weight higher on the pack will definitely make the trek in a bit easier but thats if your low vegetation is non exsistant.

james

Whisky

WKR
I wouldn't mess with a top lid. Grab It and 1 lash strap is all that's needed.

u4uva7aj.jpg

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep that works too. I did the Top Lid as it weighs as much as a lash it kit so really no extra weight. Id have to weigh them to make sure. But also it protects the top of the bow a bit better then just grab it and last it kit.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks guys- super helpful! I've now got a Grab It and a Lash Kit on order!