Another lightweight rifle question

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
I know these stupid threads pop up all the time, just looking for thoughts and to talk it through.

Wanting to build a lightweight rifle for mountain hunting. 6.5 caliber. Probably PRC. Don’t have a target weight, just as light as possible.

Was set on doing a full custom, but the more I look at it the numbers just don’t seem to make sense.
Defiance AnTi - 21 oz
Trigger - 6 oz
Bottom metal and box - 6 oz
Barrel (18” carbon) - 37 oz
Stock - 20 oz (estimate for finished weight may be a little low)

So that’s 90 oz bare rifle, 5lb 10 oz. Figure with gunsmithing that would be pushing $4k.

I’m starting to question that path. Especially looking at the Seekins Havok Element. 5.5 lb for $2750. There’s some Fierce models that get close, and the weatherby’s also. These aren’t full custom obviously but would be saving weight for less money.

deadwolf

WKR
I agree with wyosteve, I have a custom and one of the higher end factory guns. I don’t think I would build a custom again unless it was in a caliber I couldn’t find in a factory gun. In addition to that, a guy can pretty much build his own these days with prefits and store bought components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letrbuck

WKR
I was going to build a lightweight custom 280AI and it seemed to push $3-4k from a smith. Then Weatherby came out with the MKV Backcountry chambered in 280AI and it was damn close to exactly what I'd build and cost under 2k. It shoots better than I can and I'm very pleased with it

Having a custom built isn't just about the weight its getting a rifle exactly the way you want it without settling on what is available off the shelf. Not to say there aren't some really nice accurate factory rigs. I've had a number of customs built and I've been happy with most of them. I have 2 now that are the best rifles I've ever owned/shot and happy I spent the $$ on them.

elkguide

WKR
I have "several" custom rifles and a "few" off the shelf rifles. I am fortunate to have the tools and ability to do the stock work to correct the fit on the factory rifles to me. Of the customs that I have and the factory rifles that I have, I have a Cooper that will shoot as small of a hole as my best custom rifle will.

I find that having a rifle that fits you to be as important or more important than all of the other aspects of shooting. A good trigger is next.

Seeknelk

WKR
Carbon barrel is not the lightest way to go. If you like it that's fine, I like them, but just be aware they take a ultralight barrel and add weight back to them.
Seriously a kimber Adirondack is already there...light ,short threaded. You MAY have to massage it a bit for accuracy but there are known steps to take to check for issues. If there is any, the issues seem more rare. Or a Montana or Ascent obviously. A Barret fieldcraft would be super also but they obviously are hard to find and only on used market.
Seekins or the Tikka easy button are other routes. I just chopped a 6.5 Tikka to 18", I certainly don't need anything lighter or handier than that, feels like a toy with a swfa 6x on it. But needs and wants are often in different zip codes and I get it, the custom rifle bug.
The Cooper 92 is another one worth a look.

OP
M

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. Shoulda mentioned that. Wanting short barrel and enough meat for 5/8x24 threading. Reason for going carbon, plus aesthetics.

The few places I’ve seen list something like a TT Diamond have it at .4 lbs, does seem a little high but only a few oz.

I have a cut down Tikka in 300 wsm with the SWFA ultralight on it. Nice gun just wanting something new/different.

I liked the idea of having a full custom just since it would be 100% my choices like a few of y’all mentioned, but now the rubbers hitting the road I’m questioning if making a compromise or two on an off the shelf is worth saving $1k and a few oz. Plus getting it right now vs months wait.