Another Montana preference point question

Cowbell

WKR
I'm asking on here because the lady at FWP was more confused than I was. A friend and I are putting in together. We average 2.5 preference points. Do we go into draw with 2.5 points or round up to three.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Montana rounds to the nearest whole number for bonus points, but not for preference points. So y’all would enter with 2.5 preference pts.

In regards to bonus points, I’m unsure if they round up or down at any ‘.5’ increment, but I know they’d round 2.6 bonus pts would round to 3.

Last edited:

Scottf270

WKR
Just my opinion......but another screwed up Montana draw aspect. If two folks put in, the points should be the lowest common number both people have. If a guy chooses to put in with a lower point person, that's his choice. Can't believe we are really down to counting partial points????

This fits in with a guy I know who, before the recent changes, had a rotating group of family that would put in for points every year. He would select one member and apply. He got a boost from their points. They would turn their tag back in.

The next year, he would select another member and get a point boost from them. He was drawing every year and going into the drawing the next year with 2 or more preference points again by "averaging" points with the next family member.

No offense to OP. Just a rant.....

Erict

WKR
Preference points are rounded to the third decimal point, so your party will go in with 2.500 PP. You will draw behind anyone with 2.501 or more PP and ahead of anyone with 1-2.499 PP. Those with 0 PP are drawn separately.

WCB

WKR
Just my opinion......but another screwed up Montana draw aspect. If two folks put in, the points should be the lowest common number both people have. If a guy chooses to put in with a lower point person, that's his choice. Can't believe we are really down to counting partial points????

This fits in with a guy I know who, before the recent changes, had a rotating group of family that would put in for points every year. He would select one member and apply. He got a boost from their points. They would turn their tag back in.

The next year, he would select another member and get a point boost from them. He was drawing every year and going into the drawing the next year with 2 or more preference points again by "averaging" points with the next family member.

This isn't just a MT thing FYI....

EdP

WKR
Wy does the same thing. Seems fair to me unless someone can "work" the system like Scott described. The fix to that is no money back when a tag is turned in. Wy doesn't give the money back to folks who have drawn, but they will return it to the spouse of a deceased tag holder.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, the whole party application and points thing leaves me scratching my head sometimes. Guys from out of state doing party applications to hunt with friends/family was the intent. The challenge comes in when you have guys with a point putting in with max point holders to draw regularly. Most of the time there is a promise made about "helping" them hunt. Outfitters do it quite regularly, but at least with them it is their business, the under table concerns me.

sneaky

"DADDY"

They were still contributing to wildlife management by paying fees and NOT hunting. Wtf are you mad at him for?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wy does the same thing. Seems fair to me unless someone can "work" the system like Scott described. The fix to that is no money back when a tag is turned in. Wy doesn't give the money back to folks who have drawn, but they will return it to the spouse of a deceased tag holder.
MT keeps 20% of the tag fee if you return it. It isn't like they're getting 100% back.

Scottf270

WKR
They were still contributing to wildlife management by paying fees and NOT hunting. Wtf are you mad at him for?

Because he may draw the tag I wanted...lol. If it's all about the state making or keeping money, just have them sell me a tag direct for $1,000.00