Another Mtn. Lion in CO

prm

WKR

BAILEY, Colo. - An eight-year-old boy was attacked by a mountain lion in the Burland Ranchettes Subdivision of Bailey Wednesday evening and sustained serious injuries that caused the child to be hospitalized overnight.

The attack occurred around 7:30 p.m. while the boy was playing in the yard with his brother outside their home.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers were at the residence throughout the entire night after responding to the attack. A trap was set and a team of three dogs were brought in to try to locate the mountain lion. The dog team searched the area for roughly two hours, but were unable to pick up a scent trail to track the animal.

Wildlife officers will be making every effort to locate the mountain lion from this attack on Thursday to ensure the safety of the public. That may include bringing in a new pack of dogs, depending on what is observed Thursday morning when daylight comes. By policy, any wildlife attack on a human resulting in injury, that animal must be put down.

The two boys were playing outside on a trampoline when the eight-year-old boy heard one of his friends calling from a neighboring house and ran to go visit the friend. While he was running, the mountain lion attacked and bit the boy on the head.

The brother ran inside the house and told the father that something did not sound right. The father rushed outside and found the mountain lion on top of his son. The mountain lion let go of the child as the father approached and took off running. A 911 call was made and the boy was taken to the hospital.

The description wildlife officers received of the mountain lion was that it is of smaller size. It is not known at this time if it was a male or female.

“The kid was running and it probably triggered the lions natural response to a prey animal running,” said Area Wildlife Manager Mark Lamb. “We all hope that the child will be alright and you just hate to see this occur."

Since 1990, there have been 22 mountain lion attacks on humans in Colorado with three of those resulting in a fatality (1991, 1997 and 1999). There have been three attacks this year, but the previous attack before this was in 2016. The last time three attacks occurred within the same year was in 1998.

Of the two previous attacks this year, the first occurred Feb. 4 on a trail runner at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space west of Fort Collins while the second was on Aug. 10 northeast of Kremmling. Both victims were adult males.

Last edited:

Anozira

WKR
I'm wondering if this is an example of more people in the woods = more interactions with wildlife. Or more news and media outlets = more reported incidents? Either way it looks like it would be smart to pack a side arm this season while sneaking around in the backcountry.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
This is definitely not people in the woods. This is about a mile, or less, from where I grew up and those have been there since the 70s. Perhaps a bit more dense now, bit it’s basically a rural neighborhood. The locals I’ve heard anecdotal comments from say there are many more Mtn Lions than in the past.

Anozira

WKR
This is definitely not people in the woods. This is about a mile, or less, from where I grew up and those have been there since the 70s. Perhaps a bit more dense now, bit it’s basically a rural neighborhood. The locals I’ve heard anecdotal comments from say there are many more Mtn Lions than in the past.

What do you think the reasoning behind more cats is? In AZ we get wildlife pushed into neighborhoods by new housing developments that sprout up. Those animals have to go somewhere.

More cats possibly. But really the odds of getting attacked by a lion is so small. Probably a better chance of winning the lotto. It was a juvenile cat. The station I work at transported the boy.

Kid was playing outside his house. Dad chased the cat away.

Some people are saying it’s the parents fault for letting him play out side! Haha idiots

Last edited:
OP
prm

prm

WKR
I had heard they have reduced licenses over the years despite increased sightings. The ‘increased sightings’ is anecdotal so i can’t say numbers are actually up. I never saw one, or even heard mention of one, all the years I lived there.

kiddogy

WKR
I'm wondering if this is an example of more people in the woods = more interactions with wildlife. Or more news and media outlets = more reported incidents? Either way it looks like it would be smart to pack a side arm this season while sneaking around in the backcountry.
it is an example of what happens when fools elect liberals, who shut down hunting. the predators lose their fear of humans and kiddies die. reap what you've sown colorado.

Yea I think there are more cats forsure. Seems like they are everywhere
And to think that some jackasses in this state want to ban lion hunting.

Mutto

FNG
Our Department of nat. Resources would tell us it was a bobcat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiddogy

WKR
Only took 7 posts!
I know the way I phrased that may be offensive to the overtly sensitive , but there is no sense discussing, such things if we can not even admit the true underlying problem.

we live in a society where the majority cares more about predators then they do for their own children.

agree or disagree but this is an absolute truth.

Btaylor

WKR
I know the way I phrased that may be offensive to the overtly sensitive , but there is no sense discussing, such things if we can not even admit the true underlying problem.

we live in a society where the majority cares more about predators then they do for their own children.

I'm not sensitive and for sure not liberal and that was offensive to me.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I didn’t find it offensive, but I’m not certain that’s the real issue here. While many issues with wolves and bears are clearly being driven by the left using the courts to override sound game management, I’m not aware of anything like that driving CPW to lower quotas, and thus increase numbers of Mtn Lions.

Has mountain lion hunting, been shut down in Colorado?

Beendare

WKR

Well probably not the majority....but judging by the many comments from some of the vocal Anti hunting crowd [Humane Society and PETA types] on social media when this happens....there is some truth to that statement.

Per local police officer. He said the 2 cats were young and in bad shape. Tried to kill a goat shortly after the kid attack.

Got all sorts of crazies in Denver in an uproar that the cats got killed. Apparently more important than a child