Another new FFP “hunting” scope that missed the mark

I love it. Some quick playing with my ballistic calculator shows I'd be good to 60+ mph wind holds @ 1000yds. Where do I get one.

True but I'm more of a 600yds and in kinda guy. My ballistic solver only goes to 100mph on wind but good news is with 10 mils I'd have plenty of cushion @ 100mph/600yds. It's even more practical than I initially realized.
Just never know when you might have to make an 800 yd shot in a tornado. Hopefully the wind speed stays constant.

You know you'll need 9 mils windage when the Kestrel blows right out of your hand.

Tract‘s new 2.5-15 reticle is the same crap as everyone else who releases a scope for long range hunting. We don’t need 10 Mils each direction of center for wind holds and we don’t need 9 Mils to hold under, very very few people are going to use the upper part of reticle to range. JTFC! Keep the bottom open to spot misses? Yeah I get that. And how thick is this reticle? No breakdown on the site for that.

C’mon guys. You asked what we wanted and then already had this. Kind of late on your end IMO. It’s akin to Burris reps saying the SCR2 reticle is great for hunting. Um, no. I don’t hunt wide open places. They are more like 10 yards to 700 yards surrounded by trees and adjacent property and I don’t want a thin reticle because I’m not a mag whore and want to see what the game does and where it goes. Our opinions are in the thread that Tract started.

Yes I’m ranting and have a migraine already (the first of many for today) so I’ll bow out for a while and come back with a clearer mind hopefully.
First world problems..
I started getting into LR in 09 and many scopes were mil reticles with IPHY adjustments.
zero stops and exposed turrets were mainly only available in the really heavy/expensive tactical line of optics.
And almost nobody was offering reticles that were useful for holding wind or calibrating aim from bullet splash.
I'm not crazy about torrics reticle, but Jesus it's pretty damn usable as is

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
@260madman, We appreciate any and all feedback and thank you for opening up a conversation in regards to what outcomes you would have preferred.

I was able to get a more detailed schematic for everyone to study. We are working to get more information up on the product page. I think this one gives clarity to the thickness of the posts that @TK-421 was asking about.

Attachments

• 2.5-15x44F1 MIL RETICLE REV.A (1).PDF
    52 KB · Views: 51

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
@260madman, We appreciate any and all feedback and thank you for opening up a conversation in regards to what outcomes you would have preferred.

I was able to get a more detailed schematic for everyone to study. We are working to get more information up on the product page. I think this one gives clarity to the thickness of the posts that @TK-421 was asking about.
Safe to say this is the same reticle as used in the Toric 30mm 4-20x50 MRAD?

I own one of those and actually find the reticle quite usable. Would it be my first choice for close shots on 4-6x mag? Nope. Do I wish it had some slight tweaks to the reticle for my taste? Sure. But that scope does have illumination at least.

I do wish these 2.5-15x44 FFP models had illumination for that reason. Conversely, I would have also liked to see the excellent exposed and locking elevation turret on the SFP models with illumination…could’ve made that a great option too for those who want SFP and dialing and up close performance.

Here’s my reticle wish-list Tract:
- MRAD crosshairs as designed above, but with 0.2 mil windage marks for 2 mils L/R (as on your PRS reticle)
- Floating center dot, maybe a touch heavier than your PRS reticle
- 0.5 mil windage marks from 2 to maybe 5 or 6 mils
- bring the thicker darker duplex lines in towards center to take up the extra space and improve low-mag acquisition
- eliminate all elevation hold-under marks

Thanks for adding a few models to the limited cohort of FFP hunting Scope offerings.

Are there plans for additional reticle options for this series of scope?

OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
@JW@TRACT Thanks for the pdf. I started comparing reticle size last night. I’ll do some more comparisons today as I have some that are the same thickness on nonhunt rifles. This reticle seems to be the same size according to the pdf as my XTRIIs which is thin.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Comparing to the Leupold FFP TMR reticle on the MK5HD 3.6-18, the thin lines of the reticle are the same 0.05 mil thickness.

Only 2 oz heavier, 2” longer, but still not obscenely long. Especially considering the MK5HD is an exceptionally short design

OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
Thanks for the info. My iPhone wouldn’t open the PDF, so here’s the image for anyone else

View attachment 370868

A 0.05 mil thick reticle will be quite useful in the 2.5-15 mag range. For reference for some of you, the mil quad reticle in the 3-15 version is 0.06 mil thick.

Like others, I’d prefer that the main reticle only extend 4 to 6 mils from center. But if you can’t get it done with this reticle, it’s a you problem.
I run more mag with a 4-20 XTR2 than I do with a SS 3-9 at the same distances. I don’t want to run more mag and narrower FOV. I prescribe more to the practical than extreme precision mindset as I’ve aged.

I run more mag with a 4-20 XTR2 than I do with a SS 3-9 at the same distances. I don’t want to run more mag and narrower FOV. I prescribe more to the practical than extreme precision mindset as I’ve aged.

I'm with you on the practical vs precision. On big game I much prefer the least amount of X possible to make the shot. Much faster to get lined up and feel settled in for the shot, greater fov to see hits and game reactions.

I see some guys at the range and on the mountain with high X SFP's and I wonder how much game they're actually shooting at long range with those set ups.