Another new guy needs advice thread!

Hey guys,
I've been lurking for a while, GREAT forum so I decided to join.
I'll start by saying I'm 26 years old, 5'8" 155#'s. Ive been active and hunted pretty hard my whole life. But........Im wanting to start a cleaner healthier LIFESTYLE, always have ate what I've wanted when I want.

My wife has been helping me with the diet part(P90x style diet) lots of protiens, and just generally healthier decisions. Ive completely given up pop, candy and any other sugary drinks/snacks. At work I do quite a bit of walking, climbing stairs(I've always ran them2 at a time, recently started pushing it and doing 3 at a time) and getting in and out of the truck. I've also recently started wearing a weighted vest all day(25#'s) I'll work the weight up as I go. Between the diet, weight vest and frequent cardio(running/biking) am I on a path to further my backcountry abilities? Do I need to incorporate a weight training program? Anything I should add or take away from my
diet? Any advice or pointers you guys send my way would be greatly appreciated!

I am no expert but what I do is eat right, no soda/pop and very little candy, I weight train 5 days a week and run 5-6 days a week (usually about 5 miles minimum up to 10).

OP
Elkmasterwyo

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the description of your work, I think you are doing very well. I know many a man who are in outstanding shape because they work hard every day. These guys have never been to a gym, but you would never know it. Their work day is a 8 to 10 hour workout everyday.

If your days are as described, I would use my free time to shoot and only supplement weights if you feel you are not strong enough. I also don't think one rep strength in any given exercise translates into anything in the back country. Functional fitness is where it is at...

OP
Elkmasterwyo
Rosinbag, I'm would have to agree with your comment on functional fitness. My bro in law is about 5'10" & 225#'s very muscular but every bit of it was aquired in a gym, he says he needs no cardio that the weight training gives him all the cardio he needs. Guess who's the first to tap out heading up the mountain hunting elk? I've always been in excellent shape and have done better than 95% of the people I've hunted with, part of it is from being active and working, part from genetics. I guess my big thing is, I'm getting to that age that I'm watching some of my buddies start to put the #'s on and I'm terribly afraid of that!!!!! Mostly just looking to be proactive.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you are staring to watch your diet already. If you continue to work hard, stay active and are aware of your body you should be fine. You know your body best, if you feel like your losing something, throw in some functional exercising.

rhendrix

WKR
As far as functional fitness is concerned. I think strength training has its place, when you are stronger it makes everything easier. From hiking up a 40 degree slope with a 50 pound pack to pulling your bow back. If you can't work a dedicated strength workout into your day then do something at least twice a week. It doesn't haven't to be but one lift (squat, bench press, DL, row) go heavy and do 3 sets of 5. If you get all the reps add 5 pounds.

Rockey

FNG
Elkmasterwyo, I agree with RosinBag about the functional strength. Take your example about your brother in law, he is well built and has lots of strength when it comes to pushing weights around, and there is nothing wrong with that. The one drawback to that is, if you cannot transfer that to "functional movements" which many people can't because "most" gym lifts are through a fixed range of motion, then your strength is really limited. Don't take this as a invitation to not strength train but with your limited schedule I think if you are going to perform a few lifts then do "full-body" lifts; this does not have to include the gym if you don't have time for that. Doing simple multi joint movements like pull-ups, push-ups, squats, lunges, and core strengthening exercises you will be surprised at how much that will help your hunting fitness. I would recommend higher rep ranges since you most likely wouldn't be adding any additional weight unless you do choose to go to the gym.
rhendrix makes a good point as well, but his method would be to strictly improve strength given the rep ranges he specifies. Nothing wrong with more strength as it usually translates to better fitness and capabilities in the field. The problem lies in the fact that this needs to be followed up by "endurance" type training for those muscles. Unless you plan on carrying heavy loads out on your back all the time during hunting season then your improvement of choice should and will most likely be muscular endurance based. 99% of what is done in the field while hunting is endurance based in terms of muscular and cardiovascular. Without going into a lot of detail (because this is the abbreviated version for sure), performing strength based exercises that are endurance based such as the body weight exercises I described earlier will help to improve the aerobic and anaerobic enzymes in the muscles that metabolize fuels and allow your muscles to keep contracting without creating excessive amounts of by-products that inhibit performance (such as lactate). Improvements in capillary density (blood flow to the muscle) among other cardiovascular improvements will also facilitate better fitness in the field and lend itself more to functional hunting type strength that you will need and desire.
Keep your diet cleaned up like you are already doing, stay active, and throw in a couple times a week (2-3 if possible) functional strength training which can be as simple as a body weight based workout. Your body will make the necessary changes to accommodate the overload you are placing on it and you will gain muscular strength as well as endurance (very important for hunting fitness).
If you have any additional questions or more specific questions please feel free to ask, if I can answer them I will gladly do so.