Another Newbie looking for Elk hunting pack help

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for suggestions for a backpack I can use Elk hunting this fall in NW Colorado. I will mostly be car camping, so it will likely only be used as a day pack, but want a pack system versatile enough to use for a short day or two backpacking trip should we decide we need to get farther off the road. I also want it to double as a meat hauler should I be fortunate enough to tag an elk. Last, I am hoping for a system that would allow me to use one frame, but buy new bags should I decide to use on a backpacking hunt in the future. Please include suggestions for specific models or frames/systems as I have looked at the companies that advertise on Rokslide, but really not sure what would best fit my requirements above. Thank you for your help!

bozeman

WKR
Seek Outside
MR Guide Light Frame
Kifaru Lite Hunter and Cargo Net with a dry bag

Good luck with a new obsession!

TBHasler

WKR
EXO MTN K2 or new K3 frame with 2000 bag now. Upgrade later to 3500/5500/new bag line in future.
All fit both the current/old and new frames!
Or Kifaru frame and you honestly have 1000’s of bag, pocket configurations available.
Lastly, I just read today that Seak Outside now has the ability for you to order a completely custom spec’d Out bag that you design/order from their site. Comes with the expected premium $$ for a completely custom bag build.

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
What's the budget #1, 2 buy the frame you like that excepts multiple bag sizes.

I've got a k2 exo 3500 and have really enjoyed it so far. Use it as a day pack all the time, train with it 5 days a week.

Can't speak for the others, but I'm sure they are just as nice.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted the exo 3500 is just big enough for two/three day trips and light enough and streamlined to use as a daypack. Just a solid and comfortable do everything setup.

Olyhunter

FNG
Have both a MR Cabinet and Metcalf, both have served me well n would suit your needs. Though they are the only "upper end" packs I have experience with

OP
W

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. The Exo sounds like a good fit if I can switch bags on the same frame.

As for budget, I am hoping to make this trip a regular event, but still only two weeks a year, plus some local backpacking. So the Exo and Mystery Ranch seem more in my price range than Kirafu and Stone Glacier.

I looked at Kirafu, but since I don't know what I'm looking for I wouldn't know what to order.

OP
W

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Alps Commander looks to be an external frame, the other suggestions look to internal frames. How different will they perform in the field?

The external frame is way better in my opinion when you start packing meat out, and packing a camp into the woods, on an internal frame pack you need to be more careful on how you balance your load from left to right but with the external frame it more or less transfers the weight to the center, and it's also way easier to strap random odd sized or shaped loads to ...all you need is some cord or a few bungies and anything loads up just fine.

This is another external frame pack I've had for 20 years all packed up headed to north Manitou island taking my kids camping,they all have internal frame packs,buy it give you the general idea of how you can just strap your load to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160722_134048800.jpg
    IMG_20160722_134048800.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 32

Felix40

WKR
It can be tempting to try to save money but you are on the right track with exo, stone glacier, kifaru.

OP
W

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I ended up purchasing a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth during Black Orvis sale and after a few weeks of playing with the pack I am impressed with the quality. I was a little worried about the weight, but once adjusted for my body, it sits comfortably. Hopefully we will get a nice weekend so I can load it up and take it out for a good real world test.