Another one of those advice threads....how does my system look?

D_Eightch

WKR
First elk trip coming up in September in Idaho. Looking to finish out my clothing and am looking for input from people with experience.

Below I will list what I plan on getting or have. X=own O=planned. Let me know if something seems off or you would suggest something different. Thanks!

From the ground up
X Crispi Idaho
X Darn Tough (x2)
O Merino Bottom (kuiu 145, have $50 to burn with them)
X Kanab 2.0 (x2 one for backup in the pickup)
X Kuiu 145 1/4 zip
O Halstead Fleece
X Cirrus Puffy
O Merino Neck Gaiter
X Kuiu Merino Skull Cap
O First lite Brimmed beanie
X Cap
O Merino Fingerless gloves (FL)
X Marmot Precip top and bottom

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
Are you wearing anything under the kuiu 145s? Might get hot (and funky) if it's warm out.

Similarly, are the fingerless FL gloves the only thing you're bringing your hands? My digits get cold easy, so I'd probably pack something with fingers.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
First elk trip coming up in September in Idaho. Looking to finish out my clothing and am looking for input from people with experience.

Below I will list what I plan on getting or have. X=own O=planned. Let me know if something seems off or you would suggest something different. Thanks!

From the ground up
X Crispi Idaho
X Darn Tough (x2)
X Kuiu 145 1/4 zip
O Halstead Fleece
X Cirrus Puffy
O Merino Neck Gaiter
X Kuiu Merino Skull Cap
X Cap

It can get hot hiking in - I'd suggest wearing a tee. I use the Kuiu 145 quarter zip for my main base layer, but nice to peel that off sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
I used to always wear a long sleeve merino wool shirt (in my early hunting career it was a Smartwool). Most of the time, it was great but sometimes when moving, it would overheat and sweat.

Now, I always wear a First Lite Llano t-shirt as my base layer. It doesn't matter if it is July or November, I always wear the t-shirt and layer over it when I need to. I wore the t-shirt under a Llano QZ for my antelope trip, an October deer hunt and a cold November elk hunt.

JDZ

WKR
My opinion is the t shirt would be fine to add, but not necessary. 145 merino is meant for first layer.

I'd add real gloves with fingers, even if they're thin. Merino or something like Sitka Traverse.

You could leave the merino beanie at home and just take the FL brimmed version. But might be nice for sleeping or to layer on cold mornings.

OP
D_Eightch

D_Eightch

WKR
My opinion is the t shirt would be fine to add, but not necessary. 145 merino is meant for first layer.

I'd add real gloves with fingers, even if they're thin. Merino or something like Sitka Traverse.

You could leave the merino beanie at home and just take the FL brimmed version. But might be nice for sleeping or to layer on cold mornings.

Thats kind of what i was thinking for the beanie, it is so light it wouldn't even be noticed in the pack. I'll need 2 tops regardless. Probably stink pretty good after a week in the same shirt. Wasn't even thinking about it when I wrote it up.
Generally I take 3 synthetic t shirts and a merino sweater on my week long BWCA trips. The sweater is just a bit too bulky for this I'm thinking.

JDZ

WKR
Synthetic will be way worse than merino. After a week, you're going to stink like the worst you've ever stunk, regardless of how many shirts you bring. Ha ha. Have a great time.

OP
D_Eightch

D_Eightch

WKR
Synthetic will be way worse than merino. After a week, you're going to stink like the worst you've ever stunk, regardless of how many shirts you bring. Ha ha. Have a great time.

Exactly why i am bringing merino on the hunt ;)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Since you already have the KUIU beanie, I wouldn't bother buying the FL one. Every now and then, maybe the last part of archery season if the temps drop, I'll wear my beanie under my baseball cap. Other than that, I never use it.

And the 145wt merino is pretty light. You're going to sweat while hiking regardless of what you're wearing, so might as well be comfortable. I'd stick with both the base top and bottoms.

As for the Halstead......you can find just as functional a fleece for a lot less if you shop around. And I've never used a neck gaiter.

JDZ

WKR
Since you already have the KUIU beanie, I wouldn't bother buying the FL one.
Good point. The brimmed beanie is a luxury item. Is the brim worth $35 to you? Maybe looking like Steven Rinella is worth $35 to you. Before I got one as a gift, I just wore my ball cap over the fleece beanie I already owned.

As for the Halstead......you can find just as functional a fleece for a lot less if you shop around. And I've never used a neck gaiter.
I agree on the fleece. I have a no name brand I picked off the clearance rack for $15 that happens to fit very well. It happens to be camo on the front, but the back is solid brown. Who cares? It's 4 oz lighter than a Halstead, and full zip, which I happen to prefer for a fleece. Easier to get on and off over merino.

I like a thin merino neck gaiter early season. Use it for a little warmth in the morning. Use it for sun protection. Use it to break up your face near animals. I happen to have the Kuiu 145 because I bought it used with some other things on Rokslide, but I wish it was about 3 inches longer.

OP, if you want more input, post a list of your other gear. Sleep system, optics, etc.

Last edited:
OP
D_Eightch

D_Eightch

WKR
Thoughts on the neck Gaiter we're just for cool windy mornings since nothing I have has a hood. The Kuiu beanie is pretty light and not all that warm so I figured if it was very cool I could double up. I'll give it more thought for sure.
As far as other gear I can list it off. I made this thread knowing how crappy a week outside can be with the wrong clothing

Last edited:

Rmauch20

WKR
If you are looking for a less expensive fleece. I really like Natural gear. I have several for their pullovers and had zero problems. Their 1/4 zip camp fleece 300g is on sale right now for 19.99.

KurtR

WKR
What part of Idaho depending on that rain gear may be warranted

Never mind I missed you had it in there

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

From the ground up
X Crispi Idaho
X Darn Tough (x2)
X Kuiu 145 1/4 zip
O Halstead Fleece
X Cirrus Puffy
O Merino Neck Gaiter
X Kuiu Merino Skull Cap
X Cap

Looks solid to me! I'd do a merino tshirt underneath, but a lot of people just roll the 1/4. Whatever works for ya