Another pack thread - my first - I am truly sorry.

WVELK

FNG
Okay, first time post, but have followed for years and read dang near every thread on packs here. I have been elk hunting for 30 years, still learning and still chasing gear. Here is my question. I am looking for 2-4 options for a pack that is VERY light, can carry enough for a days hunt - nothing more - and has the ability to pack meat out. I don’t want to hike back to camp or the truck to get a frame. I have narrowed it down to SG Approach or EXO K3 1800. I do NOT want a 5-6 pound pack for a day pack. Am I missing any?

To try to add something to the cause as a first time poster, for those looking for a day pack without meat hauling capabilities that is very light don‘t overlook Osprey packs. I have used a Manta 20 for quite a few hunts and it is great. This year I am going to in more rugged units out west and want the ability to pack as soon as I finish deboning if I am lucky enough to kills.

Great threads here and great

ElkNut1

WKR
Exo 1000% - Best all around pack I've ever used! This is my 5th year with them & I smile everytime I shoulder that bad boy loaded or just have my all day gear in it! Simply an amazing pack!

ElkNut

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Thanks Elk Nut. I hated to start another pack thread, but it seems like I am always looking for a better pack.

FarmerLentz, I did look at Seek Outside earlier this week. I wasn’t drawn to that system for some reason. And, I know full well you have to try packs on to decide. Like the Osprey Pack I mentioned above it has a system that truly keeps pack away from your back and lets air circulate, but you could not pack a rabbit out with it. Ha.

sndmn11

WKR
I think your focus should be on the frame; Seek Outside, Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Exo, all make at least one good option for a day bag. The experience being positive or negative is going to come from how well the frame fits you, not if the bag is super.

Superdoo

WKR
I think your focus should be on the frame; Seek Outside, Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Exo, all make at least one good option for a day bag. The experience being positive or negative is going to come from how well the frame fits you, not if the bag is super.
This👆🏾👆🏾👆🏾👆🏾
It’s not about how it feels carrying a windbreaker and knife. It’s about how it carries 2 quarters!
I have tried Kifaru MR and Seek. So far the seek has won. It takes some time to get it adjusted correctly, but the fact that you can get it adjusted correctly made the difference for me.

Sammymusi

WKR
I recently went with the exo 1800 .. well worth it . I would say perfect all around day bag. I will however need to purchase a bigger bag for it so I have the ability to have more room for the overnight trips

sndmn11

WKR
So far the seek has won. It takes some time to get it adjusted correctly, but the fact that you can get it adjusted correctly made the difference for me.

Interesting! I am the opposite. I had a Stone Glacier Xcurve, then a Kifaru duplex, and then the Seek Outside Revolution. I couldn't get either of the first two adjusted close to comfortable. The Seek I feel is very forgiving with the suspension adjustments because it is a yoke style instead of a rail style.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Well i just ordered two of the SG frames to try and the 2200 bag. I also ordered the EXO 1800 with frame. I agree with others having done this a lot, fit is dang important. Bur, in my 50s weight is getting more important than it was 25 years ago. Ha i have always been lean and fit, but father time spends more time riding on whatever pack I use now days than what the sun of a gun did years ago!

Rob5589

WKR
Well i just ordered two of the SG frames to try and the 2200 bag. I also ordered the EXO 1800 with frame. I agree with others having done this a lot, fit is dang important. Bur, in my 50s weight is getting more important than it was 25 years ago. Ha i have always been lean and fit, but father time spends more time riding on whatever pack I use now days than what the sun of a gun did years ago!
My 52 year old back, that is in bad shape currently, can wear my Exo K2 all day long. And I hear the K3 is even better. Whatever you choose, make sure you get it fit properly. Exo has videos on proper fit.

HuntnPack

WKR
EXO 1800 or 2000 is a great option.
they compress down & expand as needed.
Very comfortable with full loads.
(Important for a guy near 64yrs)
I added the lid & belt pouches & load panel
& a couple zip in pouches to my 2000.
I also use various gear/stuff Sacks in the
Large main compartment for convenience.
Makes it super versatile. I can use it stripped down & compressed for day trip or Max it out
for overnight hunts.
I’ll be picking up another larger bag (3500 -4800) to swap to for extended backcountry hunts.
I’ve been using their packs for a few years.
Great Quality & customer service.
Also great product information videos.
E71DA135-CA97-4DEF-8B85-9AD4B5607636.jpeg

Last edited:
Between SG and EXO I choose SG. I think they are both great packs the deciding factors for me were simplicity and long term use.

I like a main bag and a lid with one stash pocket or compartment. I prefer less pockets. Pockets IMO are limiting, they are either too small or too big. If I need to separate items it is easier to use stuff sacks and as my gear changes so do the sizes of bags.

As to long term use I don’t like the use of elastic in a pack. It wears out and needs to be replaced. A stretchy pocket will lose it’s elasticity requiring it to be sent in to be replaced. Shock cord is an exception it can be replaced by yourself without having to send it in.

Both of these companies put out excellent products but IMO these too things separated them and I felt SG filled my needs better.

My buddy’s Exo frame literally fractured and broke when he took it out of the box. They’re having issues. I’d steer clear for a bit.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Well hope mine does not do that when it arrives. Anxious to try both on and see which fits me best.

Rob5589

WKR
My buddy’s Exo frame literally fractured and broke when he took it out of the box. They’re having issues. I’d steer clear for a bit.
5 secs of research and you'll find that there was a small percentage of frames that cracked and Exo replaced every single one of them, broken or not. There is absolutely no reason to stay away from Exo.

5 secs of research and you'll find that there was a small percentage of frames that cracked and Exo replaced every single one of them, broken or not. There is absolutely no reason to stay away from Exo.

Only 0.036% Pontiac Fieros experienced engine fires but we all know what happened there.

ElkNut1

WKR
Sounds like a shipping issue Not quality control. EXO Packs are an awesome pack & company. Alluding to the fact they'd ship a broken pack frame is absurd.

ElkNut