Another pants thread!!!

AdamW

WKR
Don't forget Kuiu has 20% off your first purchase out there if you decide to go that route.

OP
Greg Beck

Greg Beck

WKR
I have two pairs of the Prana Zions and while I agree they are pretty comfortable to wear around everyday I would not wear them Hiking/hunting. For me the crotch breath holes rub my thighs and chafe bad if I'm stepping up and out like when you are hiking uphill. They also seem overly hot when I am in direct sun almost like they don't breathe great. They are a thin pant and do not do well for me in even slightly cooler temps. Zions are also a bit too swishy when walking for me to use hunting, might not matter but I don't like unnecessary noise. I really like the Zions but for me there are much better pants for hunting. Maybe with the price they become an option but my two pairs will not be hunted in. I have the Eddie Bauer Guides and these I had to size up in the waist to fit my thighs. Too noisy as well when walking. I like the Teton pants and think you would be happy with them. They do run a little big in the waist compared to your measured waist size with a soft tape though so size down if anything. Attacks will be right on with the soft tape waist measurement. Attacks will be the most versatile pant of the bunch due to the side hip venting and slightly brushed back. Ascents will be pretty versatile as well but I don't think you will be able to take them quite as cold/late into the season as the attacks. Tetons would be in the same temp range as the attacks for me. Sizing I wear pretty much the same size in Attacks and Ascents. If anything the Ascents I need to size up one size. Easiest way to pick the right size attack pant is to measure your waist with a soft flexible tape and pull it as tight as you would like the pants waist to be and order that size.

Thanks!!! Exactly information I'm looking for!! Appreciate the comparison from the Attack to the Ascent!

OP
Greg Beck

Greg Beck

WKR
Thanks guys for all the info!! Any more is still appreciated. I went to purchase some Prana Zions but in my size the color selection was awful! Picking my size and color I wanted they were no longer on sale!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having tried on the attack and ascent its a toss up. Hip vents are nice but not necessary. Attacks will get you farther in the cold, ascent better for warmer weather. Both stretch great. Ascent slightly more tappered from the knee down. Attacks cover more inseam lengths.
Ascent pants have less of a low rise cut.

If you want a solid color sitka seems to have discontinued that but still can be found through other vendors.
There is no risk in buying the attack pants to try on, easy return policy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Prana Zions at work everyday and for hiking. They are less expensive than the big name hunting pants so you might give them a look. Very tough but just a little lighter fabric than Kuiu Attack, Sitka Ascent, or Kryptek Alaios. I prefer the hunting brands for hunting because of the pocket styles and the camo but you can save quite a bit of coin if your on a limited budget.

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
Oops. I guess I should have read all of the replies before posting. Oh well.. lol

MIKEYB

WKR
Check Campsaver outlet for prana zion's, or the prana brion's. which from my understanding they are similar if not the same material as the Zions but different pocket layout.

Maybe some one that has both can chime in. These will be my first pair.

I just picked up a pair of each for $72 total shipped.

Code PRANAOUT

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
One more option is the old generation sitka mountain pants are being discounted pretty well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

idcuda

WKR
SW Idaho, so I'm guessing you're close enough to hit the Eddie Bauer outlet - they have all sorts of stretchy hiking pants that get really good reviews. Or, you can hit the store in the dreaded mall to check out the guide pants.

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
how warm are the attacks good for roughly? vs the guide pants
not sure how cold it could get in oct wy.

I've got a couple of hikes in now with my Corrugate Guide pants from FirstLite and have been very happy with them.

The Realtree's are avl at half price and looks like all sizes are still available.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Do the UB Tech Travel Chino at Costco fit the same way the Prana Zion do? Im just wondering what size to order. Thanks

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
The Costco pants are great! I have a few pair and plan on getting more and turning em into shorts. Man for $20 you can't go wrong!
9ea3d3225123c5f80cc64211e1c3d982.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Before giving up on hiking pants, check out Cabela's XPG Trekking pants. They have a couple of color schemes that would work well for hunting depending upon where you hunt. Although I have yet to use them in the field, (I just received them) they have just enough stretch that will be helpful for climbing and are very comfortable. Pockets are well designed and nicely placed for hiking pants, but are not be as good as true hunting pants. I bought them for early to mid-season hunts, but based on their weight, they should work well for later season hunts when combined with merino or other base layers. The foliage color blends really will with Cabela's outfitter's camo pattern which I will be using. I also have a pair of First Lite Kanabs (one of my favorite pants) and the XPG Trekkers compare nicely with regard to weight and comfort.

OP
Greg Beck

Greg Beck

WKR
Before giving up on hiking pants, check out Cabela's XPG Trekking pants. They have a couple of color schemes that would work well for hunting depending upon where you hunt. Although I have yet to use them in the field, (I just received them) they have just enough stretch that will be helpful for climbing and are very comfortable. Pockets are well designed and nicely placed for hiking pants, but are not be as good as true hunting pants. I bought them for early to mid-season hunts, but based on their weight, they should work well for later season hunts when combined with merino or other base layers. The foliage color blends really will with Cabela's outfitter's camo pattern which I will be using. I also have a pair of First Lite Kanabs (one of my favorite pants) and the XPG Trekkers compare nicely with regard to weight and comfort.

Thanks. I actually tried them on but didn't quite fit the bill for me! They still bound up a little when stepping high or over something . I seen them and thought at first I'd found my answer but guess not.