Another pants thread!!!

Greg Beck

WKR
So I'm finally going to buy a good set of hunting pants. I've tried going the route of hiking pants of different brands, to many to name here, and they don't cut it for me! I've eyed Sitka and Kuiu for several years but the cost ( I have a really limited budget) always has keep me from buying! This doesn't need to be a Kuiu or Sitka bashing either!! I have tried on the Sitka Ascent and love how they fit! They are more $ though than the Kuiu Attack pant. How do they compare size wise???? I'm leaning toward going with Kuiu and there solid gray so they are a more versatile pant. If I go camo is the Teton pant a good option? I'm not opposed to either brand, just $ talking on initial purchase!!! Thanks

Last edited:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Man you need to check out the Prana Zion Stretch pants. A lot of guys on here use them for hunting. They are super nice and very comfortable and have good stretch to them. They also come with Scotchgaurd to make them water resistant. you can get them for 60$ over on backcountry right now. I just got 4 pairs last week of them on the backcountry deal and I am using then everyday now. Cant say enough about how nice they are. Figured Id throw this your way with your budget. Cant beat 60$ for a good pair of pants that will last you. Hope this helps your research.

GKPrice

Banned
I've been wearing Sitka Timberlines now for 2 full seasons and really like them a lot BUT..... I ALWAYS have a pair of my wool pants packed because they are so comfortable and versatile - Quite a few folks rave about the KUIU Attacks too

OP
Greg Beck

Greg Beck

WKR
Man you need to check out the Prana Zion Stretch pants. A lot of guys on here use them for hunting. They are super nice and very comfortable and have good stretch to them. They also come with Scotchgaurd to make them water resistant. you can get them for 60$ over on backcountry right now. I just got 4 pairs last week of them on the backcountry deal and I am using then everyday now. Cant say enough about how nice they are. Figured Id throw this your way with your budget. Cant beat 60$ for a good pair of pants that will last you. Hope this helps your research.

Do they fit similar to the Ascent? I like the fit of the Ascent and would love something similar.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The prana Zion comes up on every pant thread for good reason. Why I went with the Tiburons for twice the money, I had the money. I will probably buy the prana too but will probably never have $150 for pants again.

Teton pants might be the best hunting pants for the money but unless you need the camo the prana are a better value.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
I just picked up some pranas off the backcountry sale too. I am very happy w them. They are very similar to my kuhl renegades but actually fit me better. Im tall and athletic build.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Do they fit similar to the Ascent? I like the fit of the Ascent and would love something similar.

I can't help you with the ascent pants never had them. I do have the Sitka ESW and Timberline Pants and the 90% pants. Id say the Zions are on par with any of them. Fit great. I wear a 40x32 and they are great fit not tight unless you have really big Thighs as I have heard others say the thighs are a bit tight but I don't have that issue as Im long legged. The Zions come with an integrated belt type strap too so you don't need to wear a belt with them if you don't want too. Its a simple cinch design with about 6 inches of strap and a small buckle to the right side of the pants. Pretty ingenious. Im sure others will chime in on the Zions. They are a nice lightweight stretch pant that is pretty rugged and doesn't feel like its going to fail on you if your in the dirt. Id be comfortable in these from 40 to 95 degree temps. They breathe very well.

jtw

WKR
Zions are great. I wear them mostly for hiking but they're better than any hunting brand pant I could find (especially for the money), if you like slimmer pants Eddie Bauer guide pants are good too. The only hunting brand pants I care for are the FL kanabs, but I run really warm and I hunt in very humid conditions. I found timberlines to be way to warm for me. Haven't tried the ascents or attacks.

I've been wearing Sitka Timberlines now for 2 full seasons and really like them a lot BUT..... I ALWAYS have a pair of my wool pants packed because they are so comfortable and versatile - Quite a few folks rave about the KUIU Attacks too

X2, love the Timberlines.

FURMAN

WKR
There is a lot of good info in this thread. I will say if I could only have one pair of pants it would be the Attacks.

I have two pairs of the Prana Zions and while I agree they are pretty comfortable to wear around everyday I would not wear them Hiking/hunting. For me the crotch breath holes rub my thighs and chafe bad if I'm stepping up and out like when you are hiking uphill. They also seem overly hot when I am in direct sun almost like they don't breathe great. They are a thin pant and do not do well for me in even slightly cooler temps. Zions are also a bit too swishy when walking for me to use hunting, might not matter but I don't like unnecessary noise. I really like the Zions but for me there are much better pants for hunting. Maybe with the price they become an option but my two pairs will not be hunted in. I have the Eddie Bauer Guides and these I had to size up in the waist to fit my thighs. Too noisy as well when walking. I like the Teton pants and think you would be happy with them. They do run a little big in the waist compared to your measured waist size with a soft tape though so size down if anything. Attacks will be right on with the soft tape waist measurement. Attacks will be the most versatile pant of the bunch due to the side hip venting and slightly brushed back. Ascents will be pretty versatile as well but I don't think you will be able to take them quite as cold/late into the season as the attacks. Tetons would be in the same temp range as the attacks for me. Sizing I wear pretty much the same size in Attacks and Ascents. If anything the Ascents I need to size up one size. Easiest way to pick the right size attack pant is to measure your waist with a soft flexible tape and pull it as tight as you would like the pants waist to be and order that size.