Another scope help thread - 50mm for ~$2k budget?

Brendan

WKR
Let me put in a vote for Swarovski X5 3.5-18. I've seen them go under $2K and pretty sure it checks all the boxes. They come illuminated and non.

rrMT

FNG
No real input but I'm interested in keeping up with this thread. I'm in a very similar situation with one of my rifles. The only one that I have had much contact with is the z5. It's a really nice scope and I love that it's a lighter weight option too. As you said, not illuminated though. Keep us updated on your choice

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
I changed to a night force nx8 2.5-20 this year and love it, it's not the lightest but the way it tracks is worth the weight for me, only downside is redicle needs to be turned on to see cross hairs in med to low light but not huge for me I rarely run my scope less then 6x.

I ordered a Tikka T3x in .270win earlier this week (thanks to input from Rokslide members!) and have been looking for an optic to put on it. Rifle will mainly be used as a hunting rig, usually under 200yds in late-evening field hunts, but occasionally out to 4-500yds...so this one won't be dialed all that often.

Looking at only scopes with:
- ~$2k otd
- 50mm or 52mm objective
- Min. power in the 2-5x range
- Max power in the 16+ range
- Illuminated or fiber reticle would be a big plus
- Second focal plane

Front runners:
- Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52mm (Illuminated) - $1700
- Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 (Illuminated) - $1800-$2000
- Swarovski Z5i 5-25x52mm (Illuminated?) - $1700-$1800
- Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 (Non-illum?) - $2100
- Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 (Non-illum?) - $1800-$1900
- Zeiss Conquest V6 5-30x50 (Illuminated) - $2000
- Trijicon AccuPoint 3-18x50 (Fiber) - $1800
- Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 (Illuminated) - $2100

Here's what I need help with and what I'm looking for in the scope... in order of importance:
1.) Low light performance/visibility
2.) Durability - needs to be able to take a bump or two
3.) Generous eye-box/eye relief
4.) Decent tracking

I have a NightForce, Vortex, Meopta, and Nikon scopes on other rifles - so kinda looking to try something a little different.

You guys have any thoughts on low-light performance and durability on any of my front runners? Any other suggestions for scopes that I should be looking at within my budget that fit the bill?
I have a 2 zeiss scopes I got from my dad. New in boxes. V6 5-30x50 & V4 6-24
To follow-up - I think I've just about 99.9% made up my mind on which scope I'm going to try for this hunting rig - and that is the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 (Illuminated).

The illuminated reticle, locking turrets, and generous eye box and eye relief are what really pushed me over the edge toward the VX-6HD. I also like the fact that it has the integrated electronic reticle leveling system, reports of really good low-light performance, pretty good durability, and that it comes with the aluminum flip covers.

Here's what ruled the others out (just for my particular application):
- Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52 - larger tube size and older model compared to the VX-6HD
- Swarovski Z5 3-18x50 - no illuminated reticle choice (unless waiting for a used scope)
- Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 - no illuminated reticle choice (unless waiting for a used scope)
- Zeiss Conquest V4 3-18x50 (illuminated) - tighter eye box/eye relief, not as good of glass as the z6
- Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 - no illuminated reticle, big turrets with no locking (honestly, if the z6 came with an illuminated reticle, I probably would have bought it instead of the vx6-hd)
- Trijicon AccuPoint 3-18x50 (Fiber) - not enough feedback given/found
- Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F2 - Runner-up for my application - but, no locking turrets, tighter eye box/eye relief, price $$

All that said, I'm still a little hesitant due to some reports of Leupold's dialing...hoping I get a good scope that will dial decently and return to 0.

Appreciate all the help and feedback!
I have 2 Zeiss scopes I got from wife's father who shut down his shop. V6 5-30x50 43 reticle & V4 6-24x50

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Iv'e got the VX6HD 3-18 x 50 with an illuminated TMOA reticle and its a fantastic hunting optic. I've got it on a Tikka CTR in 6.5CM which I killed a whitetail with last fall. Tracks great, super clear, and is a perfect reticle for hunting. Good choice.