Another Scope Recommendation Thread

Hey guys. I know that scope recs have been done ad nauseum here and elsewhere but before you snuff me out: this one will be generally focused on second hand market and current closeouts because that's where I feel like I'ld get the best bang for the buck.
  • Use is long range shooting and hunting with the 308AR platform.
  • I need high mag variable because my eyes just aren't that great (~5x thru ~22x+)
  • I'ld like good glass but more importantly I need accurate dialing
  • Prefer to stick with 30m tube since the rings were kinda $$$.

So without further delay, I have a budget maxing out at 1200 and here is what I'm seeing:

Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm TMR ~$999 new closeout
Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm MilDot ~$800 used
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm MilDot or MOAR-T ~$1200 used
burris xtr ii 5-25x50 with rings ~$700 used
BUSHNELL ELITE TACTICAL DMR II PRO 3.5-21X50 ~$1000 open box (need new rings so +$100)
swfa rifle scope SS-HD 5-20 X 50mm ~$1000 used
Athlon midas Midas TAC 5-25×56 APRS3 FFP MIL HD ~$900 open box
US Optics TS-20X MDMOA ~$900 used

So what would you choose and why?

eric1115

WKR
Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18.

30mm tube, rock solid dialing and zero retention.

Misses a little at your top end mag preference, but I can't imagine shooting a .308 out of a gas gun and needing more. Meets budget easily.

260madman

WKR
Going down your list

Leupold-do the turrets match the reticle and FFP? Probably not so pass.

NXS-second focal plane. Durability is NF.

Burris-I have 2 of these. FFP and matching turrets. Tight eye box on the 5-25s. I wouldn’t use them as a dual purpose, strictly targets. Mine are not on hunting rifles.

Bushnell- no experience but it will be solid and it’s FFP with matching turrets.

SWFA-I have one of these and the glass is very nice. FFP and matching turrets. Glass should be better than NXS. Reliability is excellent.

Athlon-No experience but reports are decent for durability. FFP and matching turrets.

USO-no experience but their reliability has been suspect. Maybe their Japanese made stuff is gtg.

Going down your list

Leupold-do the turrets match the reticle and FFP? Probably not so pass.

NXS-second focal plane. Durability is NF.

Burris-I have 2 of these. FFP and matching turrets. Tight eye box on the 5-25s. I wouldn’t use them as a dual purpose, strictly targets. Mine are not on hunting rifles.

Bushnell- no experience but it will be solid and it’s FFP with matching turrets.

SWFA-I have one of these and the glass is very nice. FFP and matching turrets. Glass should be better than NXS. Reliability is excellent.

Athlon-No experience but reports are decent for durability. FFP and matching turrets.

USO-no experience but their reliability has been suspect. Maybe their Japanese made stuff is gtg.

Good point on the Leupold, didn’t think about the possible turret/reticle mismatch. Hard pass if they’re not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
foxfyre841
Thanks guys. Keep em coming. I'm doing research behind the scenes too. Seems the DMR II Pro (aka the HDMR2) has excellent glass. Depending on the reviewer it compared optically to the RazorHD G2 but the turrets were mushy or went mushy after repeated dialing.

I was thinking that the non-matching turrets on all mark 4's wouldn't be an issue but the 8.5x as the lowest mag would be very limiting for 'surprise' coues/mulies I spook. Wouldn't be a problem for paper punching or long distance hunting.

@260madman's rec for the SWFA HD is good and I'm kind of leaning that direction, esp since it's compared in favor of the (early?) NXS. (also thanks about the USO: I didn't know about any issues and regarding the eyeboxes on the burrises).

Last edited:
Athlon Ares BTR Gen II 4.5-27 closeout sale from an awesome shop and sponsor here. Give them a call and I bet they can hook you up with a deal. Plus its 30mm tube

OP
foxfyre841
Athlon Ares BTR Gen II 4.5-27 closeout sale from an awesome shop and sponsor here. Give them a call and I bet they can hook you up with a deal. Plus its 30mm tube

The SWFA HD has been compared to the Cronus and ARES-ETR with optics being closer to the Cronus BTR1 but a "hair under" and similar to the razor gen1's. I don't think I could think of going further down for an Ares BTR G2 which is less scope than the Cronus and ETR (unless I heard wrong).

No you're right the BTR is a small step down from the Cronus and ETR, but those also have higher price tags and 34mm tubes and weigh more. The Ares BTS is probably towards the top end of the 30mm scopes.

OP
foxfyre841
If you're creative, you can get the new Vortex Razor HD LHT FFP 4.5-22x50 for around your $1200 budget.
So I've been told! Still doing research but it looks like a lot of glass for the price with great resolution and great turrets. Heard there were some failures of the 3-15x line so maybe the LHT line are perhaps lacking in toughness compared to the NXS/SWFA?

morgaj1

WKR
So I've been told! Still doing research but it looks like a lot of glass for the price with great resolution and great turrets. Heard there were some failures of the 3-15x line so maybe the LHT line are perhaps lacking in toughness compared to the NXS/SWFA?

I had a 3-15 that the illumination failed and ended up replacing with Zeiss Conquest V4 that has been dead reliable. You still be hard pressed to do better than Nightforce or SWFA if looking for FFP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
foxfyre841
Personally, I'm more partial to SFP. I can range at max resolution and that cross hair will still be tiny. I definitely appreciate the ones that taper to infinity or have a teensy gap at the cross. I'll probably be happy if the glass is at least as good as the Sightron SII BigSky I've got on my Win70 FW in .270 (yes, I'm copying Jack O'Connor. shush it.)