Another SG X-curve Fitting Question

Didn't want to hijack any of the other SG fitting questions so I figured I'd start my own thread..

When hiking with 40#, I feel like the frame would be more comfortable if the whole thing sat like a 1/2" or 1" higher on my back. The curvature of the frame doesn't quite match the curvature of my back. If I reach back and grab the bottom of the frame with my hands and lift just slightly, it feels like that's where it should be riding. Do I have to move my lumbar pad down maybe? I actually moved it up a little bit because it was riding on the bottom of my lumbars and I wanted it more in the lumbar curve.

I also saw a few guys mention they are 5'8 - 5'9 and their shoulder straps are flush with the bottom of the velcro. I'm 5'9 with a 17.5-18" torso, and when I put the 40# on it, I noticed that the color transition was a little too high, so in order to move it forward over my collarbone, I moved the straps up on the velcro and now the color change sits directly over my collarbone, but I'm not sure if that's related to my problem or not.

Last edited:
If you want it higher I would shorten your straps or move the color change toward the top of your trap not more toward your collar bone. Anywhere between the collar bone and top of trap should work just fine. once you have the shoulder straps where it feels like its fitting well then you can play with the lumbar slightly but I don't think you will get an 1" of movement in the lumbar. Also when the pack is loaded heavier it will sit a little lower so even slightly high with 40# i'm alright with knowing I don't have to mess with my shoulder strap adjustment unless I am packing super heavy.

OP
cornfedkiller
I moved the shoulder straps down again to flush with the bottom of the velcro and then also moved the lumbar pad up a little and went for a walk. Immediately noticed that it was more comfortable, mainly in the lumbar area.. felt like it was making full contact everywhere in my low back with no pressure points at all.

I am going to try moving the shoulder straps back to where I had them the other day (color transition over my collarbone) and see if it remains as comfortable.. I should've only changed one variable at a time so I knew which one made the difference. I know the other guys on here that are similar height run theirs even with the velcro, but shoulder/chest size effects where that color transition lays and I might have bigger shoulders than them.

Torso length determines where you run the shoulder strap attachment. I’m 6’1” and I bet I run my shoulder straps below the frame Velcro bottom. I’m somewhere around a 17” torso

As I have mentioned before 5'-9" with 18" torso length and I have shoulder straps flush with bottom of velcro. Color transition is ok anywhere from collarbone to top of trap/shoulder.

OP
cornfedkiller
I had been running it flush with the bottom of the velcro for the past couple weeks and it was very comfy, but wanted the color transition (load lifter attachment) a little further forward so I had a little more pull on the front of my shoulders so I moved the shoulder straps up a little.. still just as comfortable but now the load lifter tension feels better to me.