Another SG Xcurve vs Krux EVO thread

WVELK

FNG
I didn’t see any recent threads comparing the two packs. One of each just arrived yesterday, now to decide which to keep. Without a local store there is no other option than to buy and return one. These packs are vastly different in terms of how they feel. I would like to say it is just as easy as the SG video suggests. Do you have a flat back or an curved back, I have had my back for 53 years and hell I don’t know.

I will say my other frame pack is so old that both feel like a Ferrari compared to a model T. I would like to know what those of you have done and looked for in deciding which pack to select. I will be trying to do just that over the next few days. One thing I will not right off the bat and without putting in weight in the pack, the Xcurve feels A LOT more snug on my back than the Krux EVO. The Xcurve seems to contact your back from shoulders to hip, but don’t know if that is a good thing - remember I have been an idiot and driven a model T for ever!. I will say I plan to hunt with this pack and drop it prior to any stalk or when I get close. I am a little concerned about the Xcurve being hotter than Hell since there is so much contact.

More contact means more weight transfer so less point load in one spot. I wouldn’t decide until you put 50-60 pound in and see how the stay on your hips then. I would guess it’s the Xcurve as long as that contact isn’t too much pressure anywhere

Kotaman

WKR
As soon as I put both of them on my back with weight I knew which one was for me...XCurve. Load them both up with 50 lbs and try them.

Yup, what's already been said. I've carried them both on multiple hunts and after a LOT of days under each pack, I settled on the Krux/EVO. It just seemed to carry and fit my back/body a little better.

sasquatch

WKR
Had all 3 of them, and the Xcurve I sold keeping the other two krux frames. Those just work better for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
When I stand against a wall with my heels, butt, thoracic area, and head touching, I can reach back and easily slide my hand behind my lumbar curve. That's the curve SG is talking about. I find for my back the x curve really locks in place. I like that you can really shift the leverage from lumbar pad, to waist belt, to shoulder suspension and load lifters. I can really feel each adjustment made on the X curve with loads over 40+#. I feel that is key to heavy load comfort over distance. When I tighten the load lifters I feel the obvious transfer of weight off my shoulders and onto my chest. I feel like I can configure it any way I want such as 95% on my waist and lumbar/5% chest, or 60/40 waist/shoulder, or whatever really. Other packs I've had with a less contoured frame not so much. I'm really pleased with my X curve. If you can't really tell the difference between the two though, the Evo is lighter and I like the color better.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
More contact means more weight transfer so less point load in one spot. I wouldn’t decide until you put 50-60 pound in and see how the stay on your hips then. I would guess it’s the Xcurve as long as that contact isn’t too much pressure anywhere

Very good advise - tried both this evening. First, getting the shoulder straps adjusted to the proper length for your torso is far more important than I realized. I worked with that a lot tonight. I then tried each with 20 pounds, and the Xcurve provided too much contact making in uncomfortable. But, I am going to try each

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Try each a few more times and wait until the EXO arrives.

Very good advise - tried both this evening. First, getting the shoulder straps adjusted to the proper length for your torso is far more important than I realized. I worked with that a lot tonight. I then tried each with 20 pounds, and the Xcurve provided too much contact making in uncomfortable. But, I am going to try each

The torso length adjustment is the most important adjustment on the pack, almost everyone runs this too long, with weight it's shorter than you think or feels good with a light pack.
The lumbar pad can be adjusted up and down or thickness increased/decreased as well to tune in the comfort.
What area is making too much contact with the X-Curve?

I would be shocked if the EXO fit or felt much different than the Krux EVO. The EXO has a very slight lumbar area curve and is pretty much straight otherwise. EXO is a good pack but after 2 years I moved on, mostly because I hated the bag options at that time in their first 2-3 years.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
The torso length adjustment is the most important adjustment on the pack, almost everyone runs this too long, with weight it's shorter than you think or feels good with a light pack.
The lumbar pad can be adjusted up and down or thickness increased/decreased as well to tune in the comfort.
What area is making too much contact with the X-Curve?

I would be shocked if the EXO fit or felt much different than the Krux EVO. The EXO has a very slight lumbar area curve and is pretty much straight otherwise. EXO is a good pack but after 2 years I moved on, mostly because I hated the bag options at that time in their first 2-3 years.

The entire Xcurve felt uncomfortable from lumbar to top. However, I watched the SG video on fitting your packs. They talk about making sure the “color change” spot on the shoulder pads hits at your collar bone. I tried that, but I am not convinced I have it “right“ just yet. I was adjusting with 20 lbs in the pack. I could tell there was no need to try to get the “right” torso fitting with an empty pack.

How do you check to see if you have the right torso fitting?

Glad I ordered two SG and the EXO to try! There is not doubt the winner will be light years ahead of my cave man frame pack from the early 90s.

Reactions: prm
The entire Xcurve felt uncomfortable from lumbar to top. However, I watched the SG video on fitting your packs. They talk about making sure the “color change” spot on the shoulder pads hits at your collar bone. I tried that, but I am not convinced I have it “right“ just yet. I was adjusting with 20 lbs in the pack. I could tell there was no need to try to get the “right” torso fitting with an empty pack.

How do you check to see if you have the right torso fitting?

Glad I ordered two SG and the EXO to try! There is not doubt the winner will be light years ahead of my cave man frame pack from the early 90s.

Torso setting is a feel thing. My strap color change isn't perfect with their recommendation but it is close. Ultimately the right torso setting will keep the pack from sliding down and allow you to transfer the weight back and forth between hips and shoulders with just a little shoulder strap length adjustment, which should be able to be done with the loaded pack on your back and strapped in. If you are getting a ton of low lumbar/tailbone pressure or top of glute pressure then the pack is riding too low.
It's worth mentioning start with the waist belt centered on the top of your illiac crest which should be well above where your pants belt rides.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
[ If you are getting a ton of low lumbar/tailbone pressure or top of glute pressure then the pack is riding too low.
It's worth mentioning start with the waist belt centered on the top of your illiac crest which should be well above where your pants belt rides.

Thanks that helps a lot I am getting too much lumbar pressure especially with the Xcurve but with EVO as well.
[/QUOTE]

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Okay, I shortened up both frames and both are better. I also removed the small rectangular pad from the Xcurve and one of the full size pads from the center lumbar pouch. That helped a lot. Going to wait a while and try both on later. The only “problem” with the Xcurve now is it feels like it is pressing against my shoulder blades too much. I can lessen that with the load lifters and shoulder straps, but still not sure about it. However, making progress because it is very noticeable with both packs when adjusting either the shoulder straps or load lifters. You can feel the load “shift” from hips to various spots on you back and shoulders. Will keep you apprised over the next few days.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Bumping this up because the EXO has arrived. Wow. It is one comfortable pack. I have not put much weight in it yet, but for now it seems to fit my body much better than either of the SG. So you will know if an 6 feet tall and about 168 pound, more of a thin runners body. Therefore, the thinner EXO may be my best option, but have not decided just yet.

Bumping this up because the EXO has arrived. Wow. It is one comfortable pack. I have not put much weight in it yet, but for now it seems to fit my body much better than either of the SG. So you will know if an 6 feet tall and about 168 pound, more of a thin runners body. Therefore, the thinner EXO may be my best option, but have not decided just yet.

EXO is bar none the most comfortable for me with light loads. SG xcurve just stays on my hip better with heavy loads and isn't uncomfortable per se, you can just feel that it is there.

To me the benefit of SG with heavy loads very slightly exceeds the EXO's upside with light loads for most hunts.

I’ve tried both out as well and prefer the xcurve. My wife has the evo krux frame and it fits her well though. It’s kind of like the flat and normal stays with kifaru. The kifaru normal bend fits me best as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I PURCHASED BOTH AS WELL. Even though the original KRUX pained me to no end. So did the EVO!!!! My X-CURVE is OUTSTANDING!! 10lbs and as much as around 80lbs it's awesome. Better than all my Duplex's, Exo's, and MR.