Another swaro ats 65 or kowa 77 question

fatrascal

WKR
Interesting. So this am I have been debating on selling all 3 of my glass, the maven 9x45, the swaro 15s and razor spotter. Then going with swaro 10x42 els and just the swaro 65 spotter. The mavens are great dont get me wrong but if I scale down to just one bino to glass with I feel the el 10s would be best. So in your opinion is the 20-60 in the 65 as comfortable to glass with as the 25-50? I don't digiscope really at all. Thanks sir
I would suggest going to Cabelas or a sporting good store and try out and compare the 25x50 eyepiece to the 20x60 eyepiece outside the store as its getting dark. But to answer your question I feel that the 25x50 is a nicer clearer eyepiece but its hard to see the difference in most situations. Fatrascal

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention that the Outdoorsmans pistol grip can definitely handle the 65mm ats. Im pretty sure I used to use the same pistol grip with the 80mm about 20 years ago. But I'm a 65mm user for the last 15

Also after owning the swaro 80hd ATS and WA eyepiece, I’d take my 77 over it any day.
I saw that but not sure if I want a straight body or not. S&S has the angled with lense on sale for 1999.00 right now. I know 200 more but for angled might be worth it. However the straight has some advantages too.

BBob

WKR
Interesting. So this am I have been debating on selling all 3 of my glass, the maven 9x45, the swaro 15s and razor spotter. Then going with swaro 10x42 els and just the swaro 65 spotter. The mavens are great dont get me wrong but if I scale down to just one bino to glass with I feel the el 10s would be best. So in your opinion is the 20-60 in the 65 as comfortable to glass with as the 25-50? I don't digiscope really at all. Thanks sir
What are you hunting specifically or what do you want to hunt? That makes a difference on what optics you'll use and want to carry. If backpacking for Coues deer I have 10x on my neck and I'm packing 15x and a spotter. High country mule deer, the same. Elk, typically no 15x.

My opinion is different on the 20-60 vs 25-50. In good light the extra 10x is usable but in practice you very rarely have optimal light so the 10x rarely was an advantage. I found the larger field of view and the better clarity of the 25-50 to be a better overall choice for me.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
What are you hunting specifically or what do you want to hunt? That makes a difference on what optics you'll use and want to carry. If backpacking for Coues deer I have 10x on my neck and I'm packing 15x and a spotter. High country mule deer, the same. Elk, typically no 15x.

My opinion is different on the 20-60 vs 25-50. In good light the extra 10x is usable but in practice you very rarely have optimal light so the 10x rarely was an advantage. I found the larger field of view and the better clarity of the 25-50 to be a better overall choice for me.
Not a coues hunter. Mainly high country mule deer and elk.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I need to say that I am not a coues deer hunter. Fatrascal
After all the advice im going to just replace my spotter this year with a 65 in probably the wide angle lens. Keep the 9s and 15s then next year re assess and maybe sell the 9s for the 10els but keep 15s for from the truck. Doing it all this year is too much money at once and would have to sell the 15s lol. Id like all 3 being 10s, 15s and the 65. Only taking 2 on hunts but having the options will keep me from this ever on going debate. 1st world problems for me huh lol.

tdhanses

WKR
I saw that but not sure if I want a straight body or not. S&S has the angled with lense on sale for 1999.00 right now. I know 200 more but for angled might be worth it. However the straight has some advantages too.
If you buy from S&S use code rokslide to get another 10% off.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for this thread. I too have been going around and around about the same 2 spotters; Debating over the 10 ounces. No Kowa dealers in my area to actually look through one. I spoke with Rob at S&S the other day and he was very helpful and reinforced all The reviews I read.

I just used the rokslide code and placed an order at S&S for the Kowa 773.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Well did it again. Indecisiveness has scorned me with glass. Posted a bit ago about going with the kowa 773 from S&S which is a killer deal right now btw. But came across a used ats 65 with the 25-50 eyepiece on here for a good deal. Had to come to grips that my whole goal is cutting weight from my 65 ounce razor 85. The kowa is listed at 59 ounces the swaro is at 49 ounces. 10 ounces might not be much but I have made too many mistakes optically, spent too much money on those mistakes. This will cut a pound from my razor and to me that means either lighter or some more snacks on the mtn. I do believe the reviews of the 77 kowa and how sweet it is. However im not sure im going to give up a ton to it. Plus still being able to use it on the outdoorsman pistol grip with the panner attachment will be huge to not have to pack a seprate panhead for weight savings along with using my slik 624 and not the 733. All in all about a 3.4lb saving.

Thanks for all the advice from all of you here. Hopefully these posts help others in future. Truly don't feel optically you can go wrong either way but I have to stay on course saving weight.

tdhanses

WKR
Well did it again. Indecisiveness has scorned me with glass. Posted a bit ago about going with the kowa 773 from S&S which is a killer deal right now btw. But came across a used ats 65 with the 25-50 eyepiece on here for a good deal. Had to come to grips that my whole goal is cutting weight from my 65 ounce razor 85. The kowa is listed at 59 ounces the swaro is at 49 ounces. 10 ounces might not be much but I have made too many mistakes optically, spent too much money on those mistakes. This will cut a pound from my razor and to me that means either lighter or some more snacks on the mtn. I do believe the reviews of the 77 kowa and how sweet it is. However im not sure im going to give up a ton to it. Plus still being able to use it on the outdoorsman pistol grip with the panner attachment will be huge to not have to pack a seprate panhead for weight savings along with using my slik 624 and not the 733. All in all about a 3.4lb saving.

Thanks for all the advice from all of you here. Hopefully these posts help others in future. Truly don't feel optically you can go wrong either way but I have to stay on course saving weight.
Good deal, I use my 77 on a 624 with outdoorsman pistol grip but your still saving weight. Now if you really wanted to save weight the Kowa 553 is the answer.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my optics come from the Swarovski house (binos/scopes) but when I went to upgrade my spotter, it was hard not to take a good look at Kowa. Bought a 77 with the 25-50 eyepiece thinking I would compare to a Swaro 65 or 80. After looking through it for several months, I see no need to change. Packs well in my Kuiu and MR packs. Everyone is different, but I'm glad I made the choice for the Kowa. They also make some nice adapters for digiscoping, especially the one for my APS-C camera. Reach out to Doug at CameralandNY. They took good care of me.

I owned a swaro sts 65 and sts 80.
Picked up a kowa 884 with the 25-60 wa eyepiece.
Sold the swaro spotters immediately.
Not even close in comparison.
I do own 2 sets of swaro El binos and love them.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
AZBULLCRAZY, have you received your new scope yet? If so, how do you like it? Fatrascal.
We left for vacation so it will be home when I get back next week. I will let you know. Also ordered a pair of NL pure 8x42s. Found a guy who gets them for a real good deal. I was so torn on the 8s or 10s. Such good reviews on the 8s fov and lowlight though. Plus with my 15s and the 65 spotter figure why not 8s. I will let you know how it all is. But for now im super happy completing my glass setup. Super lightweight if some hunts I just pack 8s and the spotter.

Last edited:
OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I owned a swaro sts 65 and sts 80.
Picked up a kowa 884 with the 25-60 wa eyepiece.
Sold the swaro spotters immediately.
Not even close in comparison.
I do own 2 sets of swaro El binos and love them.
I can imagine that 883 is sweet. Congrats. I just wanted to run lightweight.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Dang I'm jealous. I really want a pair of NL pure. Fatrascal
I looked thru 10 NLs at sportsmans and the 10 els. They didnt have 8 NLs. Here was my take. I was handholding them to see how 10s would be as I have a slight hand tremor. Looking at a small for sale sign about 300 yards away ofcourse both NL and EL looked good. It was a cloudy and smokey day due to Northern Utah collects all CA and NV wildfire smoke. The NL appeared quite a bit brighter to my eyes. I feel its due to the larger fov but could be wrong as I am not an expert. But the brighter picture helped me pick the sign apart alot better. However I could tell my tremor could be an issue handholding them. I then tried vortex viper 8s as only 8 they had. Still had a very faint tremor but about 70% better steadiness. I then glassed distance approximately 1 mile with both 10s and the 8s. Yes ofcourse 10s appeared closer but to me this was my thought, both the 8s and 10s would show me if their was an animal out there at that distance. But neither would probably tell me details for is it a shooter or no. Thats when id grab my 15s or my 65 spotter. So in all I feel this is all personal. If I didn't have a tremor would I have taken the 10s? Very possible but by ordering 8s I do not feel handicapped and if anything the wider fov and being able to use them in thick timber is awesome. Id see no reason to not even toss the 8s on a tripod too at times especially in sagebrush fields where fov is great. So for me having 8s, 15s and a small spotter feels good. Yes a little heavier but my plan is to run just the 8s and 15s in areas or the 8s and 65 spotter, either way only about 3lbs of glass in the pack.

But for the NLs yes they are sweet. Only things I didn't care for was the right eye adjustment. Its a new style and just felt hard to get it perfect. And the focus wheel was almost too smooth if makes sense. Are they worth the price? Idk if anything is worth that price lol but I was able to go thru a guy for about 2700 otd and they are definetely great. I also sold an un needed rifle scope and soon my mavens to take up half the cost. So worth it to me. Im kinda hooked now on alpha glass and think im gonna ad a big 883 kowa in a year for a truck / shooting spotter then I will be done.

Last edited: