Another swaro ats 65 or kowa 77 question

I have a similar decision to make. I’m a Coues deer Hunter and am used to hunting from my pack. I got drawn for desert sheep this year and need a new spotter. I can’t decide whether to get the 65 sts for the weight savings in the long haul or get the Kowa 77 for this hunt. Any suggestions?

BBob

WKR
I have a similar decision to make. I’m a Coues deer Hunter and am used to hunting from my pack. I got drawn for desert sheep this year and need a new spotter. I can’t decide whether to get the 65 sts for the weight savings in the long haul or get the Kowa 77 for this hunt. Any suggestions?
If it were just for sheep I'd go with the larger objective every time. Are these Coues hunts backpack hunts or just day hunts? If it's lots of backpack I'd be tempted to go smaller objective, if not and it's day hunts I'd be tempted to go larger. Most days in the field tend to be bad air instead of good air and the larger objective works better in bad air. One more question on the Coues hunts, are you using it just for verification or will you attempt to glass with it? If just verification you could get away with the smaller. I carry much larger glass than the 80 now for Coues even backpacking. A lot depends on your goals and what you are looking for.

If it were just for sheep I'd go with the larger objective every time. Are these Coues hunts backpack hunts or just day hunts? If it's lots of backpack I'd be tempted to go smaller objective, if not and it's day hunts I'd be tempted to go larger. Most days in the field tend to be bad air instead of good air and the larger objective works better in bad air. One more question on the Coues hunts, are you using it just for verification or will you attempt to glass with it? If just verification you could get away with the smaller. I carry much larger glass than the 80 now for Coues even backpacking. A lot depends on your goals and what you are looking for.
A lot more day hunts hiking in than backpacking. I currently use my leupold 60mm gold ring hd for verification and hitting those shady spots under bushes. Thanks for making me think more

A lot more day hunts hiking in than backpacking. I currently use my leupold 60mm gold ring hd for verification and hitting those shady spots under bushes. Thanks for making me think more
It’s one of those things where there is no “wrong” choice.

The ATS/STS is proven and relatively light. The Kowa 773/774 is well regarded in birding circles and competes very favorably with the ATX/STX. It’s about a half pound heavier than the ATS/STS but does have a larger objective. Both can be had with a wide angle piece. The dimensions are pretty close to each other.

The 773/774 is about 1/4 pound lighter than my STX 65. I regularly take my STX on most of my hunts with no issue. This includes Coues hunts in AZ and Mexico every year; I’ll periodically run it with the 95 as well for Coues. I’d not worry about the weight especially on Coues hunts.

I’d say run the Kowa and enjoy your sheep hunt. Then rock the Kowa on your Coues hunts.

Some sites have the Kowa for around $2K and the Swaro for about $2400. Call the site sponsors and see what they can do for you.

It’s one of those things where there is no “wrong” choice.

The ATS/STS is proven and relatively light. The Kowa 773/774 is well regarded in birding circles and competes very favorably with the ATX/STX. It’s about a half pound heavier than the ATS/STS but does have a larger objective. Both can be had with a wide angle piece. The dimensions are pretty close to each other.

The 773/774 is about 1/4 pound lighter than my STX 65. I regularly take my STX on most of my hunts with no issue. This includes Coues hunts in AZ and Mexico every year; I’ll periodically run it with the 95 as well for Coues. I’d not worry about the weight especially on Coues hunts.

I’d say run the Kowa and enjoy your sheep hunt. Then rock the Kowa on your Coues hunts.

Some sites have the Kowa for around $2K and the Swaro for about $2400. Call the site sponsors and see what they can do for you.
Thank you. Much appreciated

If one would pick the 65 ats/sts over the kowa 77, for weight savings, then I think the choice should really be the kowa 550, since there's a bigger optical difference between the 65 and 77 than between the 550 and 65. Moreover, the weight saving difference is larger between the 550 and 65 than the 65 to the 77.

I think the ultimate set up is having a 550 and 770 (or 880) and decide which to take based on how critical the info from the spotter is, and if you are the stronger or weaker one in the group. If you're usually waiting up for your partner, why not arrive with superior gear at the same time anyways?

On the other hand, if it's really important to save weight, don't shoot anything.

If one would pick the 65 ats/sts over the kowa 77, for weight savings, then I think the choice should really be the kowa 550, since there's a bigger optical difference between the 65 and 77 than between the 550 and 65. Moreover, the weight saving difference is larger between the 550 and 65 than the 65 to the 77.

I think the ultimate set up is having a 550 and 770 (or 880) and decide which to take based on how critical the info from the spotter is, and if you are the stronger or weaker one in the group. If you're usually waiting up for your partner, why not arrive with superior gear at the same time anyways?

On the other hand, if it's really important to save weight, don't shoot anything.
Great points, thanks for the feedback