Another tent advice thread... sorry

I know theres a thousand of them, sorry about that.

Heres my situation - I already have a number of shelters, however, all of them are trekking pole supported. I really like my poles, and would like to not have to leave them behind if I want to go check a drainage or two over. I've considered purchasing the pole and a nest for my cimarron, but that really pushes the weight up there. I'd also like to have this for earlier season when the bugs are still crazy out.

So, my 'want' list - not trekking pole supported, preferably double wall, would like freestanding but not a deal breaker, roomy, under 4lbs, durable. I've decided that its not something I need immediately, so I'm taking my time and going through all my options.

My knee-jerk reaction was to check out Hillebergs. The Anjan looks like it'll do what I need it to do okay. A little small on room if I get the 2, but it'll work. I don't have a real need for the heavier red or black label variants, and those are out due to weight.

I thought about the BA Copper Spur tents, but I've read some reviews on durability issues. I've owned a FC before and I distinctly remember how thin the fabric was.

MSR Hubbas seem nice as well, but I haven't been able to lay my hands on one of these yet. Looking at the weight I would assume its probably close to the BA CS in durability but please correct me if I'm wrong.

TarpTent makes a few options that would work - the double rainbow, the scarp 2, the cloudburst, and the rain shadow. I already own a SS2 so I'm familiar with the company. This isn't one I can go look at though, so if someone has experience with the Cloudburst 3 or Rainshadow I'd appreciate some input there!

Are there any that I'm overlooking? Any input into the ones I've mentioned above? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't care for the Rainshadow 3, ended up going the Copper Spur route after selling mine. I've had the CS UL2, UL3, and UL4. I sold the UL2 as it was a little small for my preferences, but I'm 6'6".

OP
J
I didn't care for the Rainshadow 3, ended up going the Copper Spur route after selling mine. I've had the CS UL2, UL3, and UL4. I sold the UL2 as it was a little small for my preferences, but I'm 6'6".
What didn’t you like about it?

Seems to me that nemo makes a good tent but you may be at 5# for a 2 man.
If I was okay with 5lb one of the red/black label Hillebergs would be considered... or I’d just buy the full nest and pole for my cimarron and have a massive shelter.

I agree with the best and pole for your cimmaron. I love mine and couldn’t be happier. I don’t have the nest but I do have the pole kit. It sure is nice to still use my trekking poles.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What didn’t you like about it?

There were a few things IIRC, but it's been awhile. It seemed pretty flimsy, and my recollection is that it was a single wall tent. The first time I set it up, the tab on the front where the guy line attaches pulled right out, so I started off with a bad impression. It was also very short inside, hard to sit up straight. It looks like they've made some changes to it, as mine used trekking poles or additional purchased poles to hold it up in the front.

Attachments

• 100_2477.JPG
    100_2477.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 74

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For a freestanding shelter the hubba Hubba has been a workhorse and super reliable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would second the Nemo Dagger, or wait til the new Dragonfly comes available. Those are both freestanding, the Hornet is super light but not totally freestanding. Big Sky makes a couple of nice tents.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
J
For a freestanding shelter the hubba Hubba has been a workhorse and super reliable.

Hey Brad,

How thick are the materials for the floor? I’m not so concerned about the fly. I realize that the materials are more robust than one would think, but I would like something I’m not gonna need to replace in the next 5 years.

Apollo117

WKR
This may help. My wife and I went to REI and they let us set up and test the Nemo Dagger 2P, the REI Quarter Dome 2, the BA Copper Spur 2, and the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2. These tents are all in the same weight class, use similar materials and are designed to be ultralight.

For reference I am 5' 11", 175lbs. And my wife is 5' 7", 125lbs.

Here's our takeaway:

REI Quarter Dome 2: We did not like the footprint and this tent had the least cubic volume. We found it restrictive.

Nemo Dagger 2P: This tent had the best footprint and great cubic volume. The set up was awful. All of the clips and buckles required so much force to close I thought I was going to break each one. This tent had the most durable floor fabric at 30D. However, even without shoes on, the floor fabric felt sticky, like it was sticking to me and every time I moved I felt I was about to rip the floor fabric. Maybe this doesn't bother other people, but we didn't like it. As much as I wanted to like the Dagger 2P, I didn't like the setup or the fabric.

MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2: we really liked this tent and ultimately it was the runner up. The floor print was good. The cubic volume was adequate and the fabric didn't feel like it was about to rip.

BA Copper Spur: obviously, this was the tent we bought. We liked the floor print and cubic volume. The fabric didn't feel like it was going to rip. The deciding factor between the MSR and the BA was the setup. The setup on the BA is dead easy.

For us we liked the BA and the MSR the best of all the tents we tried at REI. The BA won by a narrow margin.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Brad,

How thick are the materials for the floor? I’m not so concerned about the fly. I realize that the materials are more robust than one would think, but I would like something I’m not gonna need to replace in the next 5 years.
Cant remember the fabric weight but it will lost a lot longer than 5 years with proper use. Meaning, if you pitch it on sharp objects without a ground trap, it wont last as long as it should.

3forks

WKR
I know theres a thousand of them, sorry about that.

Heres my situation - I already have a number of shelters, however, all of them are trekking pole supported. I really like my poles, and would like to not have to leave them behind if I want to go check a drainage or two over. I've considered purchasing the pole and a nest for my cimarron, but that really pushes the weight up there. I'd also like to have this for earlier season when the bugs are still crazy out.

So, my 'want' list - not trekking pole supported, preferably double wall, would like freestanding but not a deal breaker, roomy, under 4lbs, durable. I've decided that its not something I need immediately, so I'm taking my time and going through all my options.

My knee-jerk reaction was to check out Hillebergs. The Anjan looks like it'll do what I need it to do okay. A little small on room if I get the 2, but it'll work. I don't have a real need for the heavier red or black label variants, and those are out due to weight.

I thought about the BA Copper Spur tents, but I've read some reviews on durability issues. I've owned a FC before and I distinctly remember how thin the fabric was.

MSR Hubbas seem nice as well, but I haven't been able to lay my hands on one of these yet. Looking at the weight I would assume its probably close to the BA CS in durability but please correct me if I'm wrong.

TarpTent makes a few options that would work - the double rainbow, the scarp 2, the cloudburst, and the rain shadow. I already own a SS2 so I'm familiar with the company. This isn't one I can go look at though, so if someone has experience with the Cloudburst 3 or Rainshadow I'd appreciate some input there!

Are there any that I'm overlooking? Any input into the ones I've mentioned above? Thanks in advance.

I can see where you're coming from, but have you thought thought about a dyneema shelter, nest, and a carbon pole?

I went through a lot of shelters before I settled on an HMG Ultamid 2.

The space inside is expansive, and it gives you a lot of versatility depending on your needs for different seasons.

Even with a nest (with a floor) and a dedicated carbon pole, you're at 3 pounds.

I know some guys who just take their trekking poles with them and leave their shelter staked to the ground when they leave for the day and have no trouble with that. I have a carbon pole that weighs 8 ounces; and just leave mine pitched.

Dyneema shelters are pricey, but that's where I finally arrived after trying to figure out the best option for me.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Went through the same recently. Ended up with the BA Copper Spur HV UL 2 person. I have a Cimmaron but early season the mosquitos can be brutal and wanted full enclosure.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
Copper Spur is awesome! I am in a one-man, and love it. Probably been 8 years, and no issues. I'd guess I have done 40+ nights in it, and still going strong. I hear the NEW Copper Spur is even better, steeper walls for more interior space. I am sold on BA tents.......

Nemo Losi 3person. Plenty big for two and gear or really big for one. Easy to set up, durable double wall free standing. Just a tad over 4# add a little extra if you want a footprint.

Tent should last a long time if taken care of as the materials are very durable and nemo
Is hunter friendly.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Hilleberg Unna without the inner. Gets you right around 4lbs and freestanding/bombproof.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
5e95fd5fb5ea1b41be1b6e3a471141dd.jpg

This may help. My wife and I went to REI and they let us set up and test the Nemo Dagger 2P, the REI Quarter Dome 2, the BA Copper Spur 2, and the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2. These tents are all in the same weight class, use similar materials and are designed to be ultralight.

For reference I am 5' 11", 175lbs. And my wife is 5' 7", 125lbs.

Here's our takeaway:

REI Quarter Dome 2: We did not like the footprint and this tent had the least cubic volume. We found it restrictive.

Nemo Dagger 2P: This tent had the best footprint and great cubic volume. The set up was awful. All of the clips and buckles required so much force to close I thought I was going to break each one. This tent had the most durable floor fabric at 30D. However, even without shoes on, the floor fabric felt sticky, like it was sticking to me and every time I moved I felt I was about to rip the floor fabric. Maybe this doesn't bother other people, but we didn't like it. As much as I wanted to like the Dagger 2P, I didn't like the setup or the fabric.

MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2: we really liked this tent and ultimately it was the runner up. The floor print was good. The cubic volume was adequate and the fabric didn't feel like it was about to rip.

BA Copper Spur: obviously, this was the tent we bought. We liked the floor print and cubic volume. The fabric didn't feel like it was going to rip. The deciding factor between the MSR and the BA was the setup. The setup on the BA is dead easy.

For us we liked the BA and the MSR the best of all the tents we tried at REI. The BA won by a narrow margin.

It was between these two for me as well. I ended up with the MSR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk