Another Tenzing Question... 5000 or 6000?

BigSurArcher

Banned
I'm kinda over my Sitka 45 after a few seasons with it. Although I like the compactness, at the same time I find myself running out of room for packing meat and equipment before my weight threshold is reached. I'm really liking the looks of the Tenzing packs, as they seem to provide a lot more support and a bit more room than my Sitka. Here is the question though... do I go with the 5000 or 6000? It will be used primarily on 2-4 day hunts, with the occasional 5-6 dayer thrown in. When I kill a blacktail here in CA I like to pack the whole thing and my gear out in one load. It would be nice to have the option of fitting an entire boned muley plus gear in/on it if I had to. Could I get away with this on the 5000? I'm thinking and hoping the 5000 would work for my needs, just looking for a bit of assurance from those who have fondled the packs in person!

sk1

WKR
I ordered the 6000 keep in mind those cu numbers are with the meat area expanded so if not storing gear there your actual cu is a bit smaller....

I think the bigger question might be what one is going to fit you better, I believe the 6000 works better for people with a longer torso, at least that's what I've read mine should be delivered by or before Friday

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on your described needs, 6000 without question. 5000 for 4 days plus a boned out animal is tight, especially if later in the season when you have more layers of clothing.

Beastmode

WKR
What is the difference in the two other than capacity? If the weight difference is only a couple ounces it might be nice to have that extra space if you need it. As long as you aren't one of those people thy feel the need to fill every cubic inch of your pack just because u have it.

I hunt blacktail with a 6500 CI pack but mainly because my wife tags along sometimes and I turn in to a Sherpa. I am looking very close at the new KUIU 5000. Not sure if I want to go that small though. It would be fine for me on blacktail hunts but it might be pushing it with the wife.

For Muley hunts depending on what time of year it might be a good idea to get a bigger pack for more clothes.

Last edited:

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
When I was in the same boat, Jay at Tenzing told me that the 6000 is adjustable for torso length so go with the capacity that you need. That being said I went with the 6000. I adjusted the torso to my size, tightened up the hip belt; there are two ways to tighten it per side, and it's good to go.
I would go with the 6k. LIke sk1 said, the main compartment is in the high 4k's, and when you open up the meat compartment next to your back, there you go. I'm gonna use this are to stow gear until i fill it with a Ram!!!

The TZ6000 is 4400 cubic inches standard and expands to a little over 6000. The TZ 5000 sits at 4100 cubic inches standard and expands to 5600, so the two packs are really pretty similar. The 6000 is going to fit guys that have a little longer torso or are over 6 ft tall a little better than the TZ5000 because the actual platform of the pack is a couple of inches taller. They are both very versatile packs and designed well. I have the TZ 5000 at a promotional price through Wednesday and will also offer 15% off of the TZ6000 if you enter promo code Tenzing15 at checkout. Free shipping and no tax as usual. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
http://www.storycreekinc.com/

Mike
Story Creek Inc

lintond

WKR
The TZ6000 is 4400 cubic inches standard and expands to a little over 6000. The TZ 5000 sits at 4100 cubic inches standard and expands to 5600, so the two packs are really pretty similar. The 6000 is going to fit guys that have a little longer torso or are over 6 ft tall a little better than the TZ5000 because the actual platform of the pack is a couple of inches taller. They are both very versatile packs and designed well. I have the TZ 5000 at a promotional price through Wednesday and will also offer 15% off of the TZ6000 if you enter promo code Tenzing15 at checkout. Free shipping and no tax as usual. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
http://www.storycreekinc.com/

Mike
Story Creek Inc

Mike I'm interested in the TZ6000. Will you be running a special on these at all? I saw you had a 15% off last year.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in the TZ 6000 as well. I'm about a 21 inch torso; would it fit me? How are the load lifters?

Manosteel

WKR
You might want to do little more research on the tenzig packs before getting one, if you are going to be hauling any loads ( meat ) of 70+ lbs and more. their are better options. I only comment since I was looking to get a t5000 until I learned more about packs and their capabilities. Given the way i hunt I found better options.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
You might want to do little more research on the tenzig packs before getting one, if you are going to be hauling any loads ( meat ) of 70+ lbs and more. their are better options. I only comment since I was looking to get a t5000 until I learned more about packs and their capabilities. Given the way i hunt I found better options.

Thanks for the input. What would you suggest then for around $400?

blb078

WKR
I had the TZ5000, and it felt ok up to about 50ish lbs but over that it just didn't feel right to me. I might just be due to my smaller frame but the SG Terminus feels a lot better. My brother tried out the TZ5000 and he's a lot bigger than me(about 250lbs) and he said it felt fine to him even when he had 115lbs in it. I guess it's one of those things were it just depends on the person as to how it feels. There are a few places online were you can get the TZ5or6000 for about $350. It also appears they've gotten the zipper issue's worked out.

Manosteel

WKR
Thanks for the input. What would you suggest then for around $400?

Depends what you are after and how you hunt. I started out with the idea of getting a pack for $400 and then quickly realized that for how I hunt I needed to spend more on the pack I needed. If you look at some of my previous posts on the SG / Kifaru comparasion thread, you will see what I choose to go with and why. I hunt bear in the spring and sheep, moose, elk, mule and whitetail deer in the late summer and fall. 85% of that hunting is in the backcountry and with a pack on my back (with camp).

Also take a look at Aron snyders (aka elkreaper ) article here on choosing packs. Check out the videos and you will learn what you need to know to choose the best pack for your style of hunting. Even if you keep your $400 budget for the pack, you could get what you need used.

Anymore questions ask away, there are lots of members here with way more experience than me on all the different packs out there that will be happy to help.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
One thing to keep in mind is do you want to skimp on the pack ? When you think of the expense of travel , time off , the tag and the limited opportunities to hunt is it not worth another $250 to know the pack will not let you down ? If the frame fails or the straps break on your once a year big game hunting trip and throws a big wrench in your plans are you going to feel like the $250 you saved was a deal? Boots , pack , weapon , and sleep system are no place to go second rate in the backcountry. If you hunt the backcountry a lot it's even more critical to go top quality. If you hunt it a lot you WILL find the limits of your gear.

lintond

WKR
Buying a pack is entirely too stressful. So many options and the high end packs you can't try on unless you know somebody with one.

i have a new tz 5000 with tags in plastic i am selling. decided i need a larger pack for my purpose, hit me up if anyones interested...

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Mike,
Have a buddy of mine pretty interested in the TZ5000. Do you ship to Canada?

kaboku68

WKR
Tenzing has supposedly fixed their zipper issue. They are a decent pack but there are many other options in this range. I would bump up to Stone Glacier or
Kifaru Highcamp T1 if I were you. The Alps Commander external frame is a budget minded alternative to the $600-$700 range packs. However, You could also
go with a Kelty Red Cloud 110. Their 2013 is a great pack. The problem with Tenzing is that they have too much webbing and too much on pockets. They got over
complicated.

Dana Design K2 Longbeds and Terraframes are still out there. I know that this year I am using a 2003 Kelty Cloud 6500. Will it be the most comfortable
pack ever made. No... But it only weighs 4 lbs for 6500 cu pack that can haul it has an internal modular frame and is made out of spectra (not grid) and kevlar thread.

Sincerely,
Thomas