another thread about OTC elk hunting

I'm wanting to go on a OTC Elk hunt in 2023.

I've read some threads and figure I'd start my own.

Where do you guys suggest going on a OTC Elk hunt?
From my research it seems like Colorado gets hammered no matter where a person goes. I understand no matter where I go there's probably going to be high pressure. Its just part of it and something I'm willing to deal with. I'd just like some more suggestions/info
I'm wanting to kill a bull with a bow.
I plan to go on a 6-7 day hunt. I will be on foot once I arrive at the location.
I am decently in shape, so walking isn't something I'm afraid of. I will be solo though.
I'm currently in central Illinois and driving a long distance isn't an issue. As far as a sleeping situation I'll have a wall tent for camping.

I'd appreciate any information!

Beckjhong

WKR
Asking for a specific place to hunt is a big faux pas. There is a wealth of information available online in terms of maps, draw odds, etc. I recommend you dig into that and draw your own conclusions.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
I will likely take you approximately 5 years to have a good opportunity at a bull with a bow. I could give you my gps, and put you right where I KNOW there will be bulls opening morning (took me 12 years to figure it out), and you'd still screw it up, I still do 90% of the time 😁

There's nothing wrong with asking for help like you're doing, we all started somewhere. The answer though is too complex for an internet forum, you just have to go out and start putting time in and learning. Utah is great, Colorado is great, Idaho's non-res hunters are welcomed with open arms; really just pick a place that sounds interesting to you and put your time in.

To try and paraphrase a great author and incredible deer hunter: you need to focus on one area and dedicate everything there. If you think, "i'll do the Wasatch in Utah this year, the Uintas next year, Colorado the year after; you're just going to be really good at camping. I'm not sure where you're located, but one strategy a lot of folks adopt is a spike-only unit while building points for the limited entry hunt of the same unit. Just get out there and start l-i-v-i-n.

md126

WKR
Don’t take this the wrong way. Not sure how you define “decently in shape” but if you want to go where the elk are that probably isn’t going to get it done, especially solo…

Also, a wall tent solo is overkill and will limit your options. I’d truck camp and stay mobile instead

Use the search function here and do some research. Any question you might ask has probably been addressed in several previous post. I do mean any question. There is a wealth of information in here if you take the time to look for it.

Super tag

WKR
Elk hunting in any form is awesome, I used to chase the big bulls and of course we all want a wall hanger but that’s far from easy and will most likely take you years to accomplish If ever, it’s difficult. I find almost as much satisfaction in just taking a bull of any legal size. Point is, just get out and hunt, you’ll figure these things out over time. I think Colorado will give you the best opportunities. Definitely the easiest tag to get.

Marble

WKR
I'm wanting to go on a OTC Elk hunt in 2023.

I've read some threads and figure I'd start my own.

Where do you guys suggest going on a OTC Elk hunt?
From my research it seems like Colorado gets hammered no matter where a person goes. I understand no matter where I go there's probably going to be high pressure. Its just part of it and something I'm willing to deal with. I'd just like some more suggestions/info
I'm wanting to kill a bull with a bow.
I plan to go on a 6-7 day hunt. I will be on foot once I arrive at the location.
I am decently in shape, so walking isn't something I'm afraid of. I will be solo though.
I'm currently in central Illinois and driving a long distance isn't an issue. As far as a sleeping situation I'll have a wall tent for camping.

I'd appreciate any information!
Your drive, dedication and determination for success are the most important things. Having the ability to suffer through the slow times and actually putting time in the woods doing it. That is how to be successful.

The answer is wherever you can get a tag.

Your success depends more on you than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I second the get out this year thought! Even if for a short time, there is nothing like being in the elk woods when it comes to learning. You don’t need any special gear, plans, etc. Go pick up a tag and pick a spot. There are opportunities to be had everywhere!

Welcome to the forum and I hope your journey in western hunting is an awesome one!

Donjuan

WKR
You can look up colorados population estimates then harvest data to get an idea of hunting pressure and success.
From there, look up the units with basemaps or onX and see how much public land looks good.
Next, get elk 101, the elk collective, roe hunting resources, treeline academy, and/or the elk nut app.
Listen to eastmans, elk talk, elk shape, remi warren and whoever else you can on podcasts.
Run. Train. Shoot. Practice calling.