another tikka sl vs kimber question

Sled

WKR
I've read quite a few threads about this subject on here. most are a bit older and i was wondering if opinions have changed. currently, i have a tikka 270wsm that shoots well, has a nice factory trigger and kills my elk just fine. it is topped with a vortex pst 4-16 and weighs just over 9lbs (w/ 3 rounds, sling, cheek pad) w/o bipod. i'd really like to lose some weight with a new rifle for longer trips. i'd expect this gun to shoot out to 500 yards and weigh in the low 7lb range setup to hunt. this has led me to looking at a kimber montana (5lb 2oz in a 6.5 cm). unfortunately, i'm only able to lay hands on the hunter and mtn ascent. the hunter had a rough action that locked up overly tight, imo. the MA was smoother but not as smooth as the tikka superlite or my current t3. i also noticed if i didn't pay attention to my side pressure on kimber actions the bolt would hang up in the far rear position. it really needs an inline push to smoothly cycle even the higher end mountain ascent.

so, i can get any of the lite kimbers and hit my desired weight or i can get a reliable t3x superlite and weight a bit more but be just slightly over my desired weight. the second choice will cost less but again be about a pound heavier than the montana. should i take a chance on the quality of kimber or go with a trusty favorite?

Trees91

WKR
I had a t3x superlight in 6.5 with a manners eht. Awesome gun, shot fantastic. But I sold it within a month of having it. I just have a hard time falling for a tikka. I have since bought a mountain ascent in 308 and love it. I agree the bolt is not buttery smooth like the tikka. But fit and finish is good, nice trigger, it’s crazy light and shoots way better than a gun that light should. If I knew how to work this dang mobile forum I’d post some pictures. Tikka with manners weighed 6.2lbs and the mountain ascent weighed 4.9lbs. Both bare gun. So I think it comes down to personal preference, weight and price. I think the newer kimbers will shoot.

Can send some pictures through text if you’re interested. Pm me if you’d like.

I have a Montana chambered in 308 that weighs 6lbs with rings, a swaro z3 and 3 rounds.

The actions are rougher than the Tikkas for sure, but honestly I could care less. As long as it shoots, and goes bang when I pull the trigger that’s what I care about.

If you do some googling you can find the Kimber preflight checklist - you don’t have to do all that stuff, but it’s a good guide on what to look for. My action screws aren’t too long, the screws for the rings don’t bottom out on the barrel tenon, but mine did have the magazine issue and I had to grind down one lip on it to “float” it in the stock. So far shoots an inch with the factory stuff I’ve put through it(so far being the keyword). Should do fine out to 500 which is what I bought it for. The trigger is every bit as good as the tikkas I have. The stock feels super solid.

Taking into account that it’s a niche gun - it being an extremely lightweight rifle meant for packing in - I’d buy another in a heartbeat. You can’t build one this light for this price, and no one else is offering one in this price range. I think the other option is a Barrett and while they’re nice, it’s about 500-600 more.

Also it comes with a threaded muzzle which is nice.

You may also consider the hunter - they all share the same action, the difference is in the stock. I didn’t think the stock on the hunter felt that bad, and I’ve read where some folks cut out the gel in the stock and saved an additional 6oz.

Edit - I’m actually gonna go out on a limb and say I like the trigger better than the one on the t3x. It’s not that the t3x trigger is bad at all, I just couldn’t get it as light out of the box. I had to upgrade the spring to get it as light as my Montana trigger.

I’ve got a superlite in 300 win mag, comes in at 7.3 pounds with a B&C stock, mountain tactical bottom metal, Talley extra low rings, Leupold vx3i 3.5-10x40. Long Rifles Inc. bolt fluting and a lumley titanium/CF bolt handle. Call it 7.5 pounds ready to hunt with 3 rounds and a butler creek mountain sling.

TwoTikkas

WKR
The Tikka isn't a heavy rifle,but not as light as the little Kimber mountain rifles. I've had 2 Kimbers,and 9 Tikkas. The Kimber has a far better trigger in my opinion. Both mine would easily do an inch or less with most any hand load. Contrary to the general consensus,I Like the Tikka magazine. I load up a couple spares for really handy extra ammo carry.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I currently have a few of each rifle. The Kimbers are on average about 1 pound lighter out of the box. That said you can tweak them and trick them out to get much less than even 4 pounds all it takes is time and $$$. :)

For me the Kimbers are a niche rifle now that go right around 5 pounds scoped even with a 20 oz SWFA on it. My wife's Kimber 308 is cut down to 16.25" and shoots 165 tipped game kings just over 2600 fps and in the OEM stock is just under 6 pounds with a 1 pound scope on it. My other kimber is getting a 16.5" 6.5 CM barrel installed on it and I hope to be shooting 147s around 2550-2600 fps.

My Tikkas are all 6 pounds even or heavier. But they are more do all sort of rigs that I take out to distnace and such so they also get heavier scopes with a bit more magnificaiton and fancy pant illumination and such. As such the go from 7.5-12 pounds all up depending on the scopes and stocks/chassis I put them in.

I think both are more than adequate for general hunting in reality. I prefer the Tikka triggers to the Kimber but neither is bad by any means. Like anything it really depends on the trip. But I still pack a lightweight kimber for most of my summer backpacking in case I see a grizzly that wants to come home with us and such. But for general hunting where I am not backpacking in 10-20 miles one way, I will likely take the heavier Tikkas just to have the option to shoot out a bit futher if I wanted to.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
thanks for the replies so far.
I was able to fondle a few kimbers at cabelas today. it was obvious which ones had been handled more than others. what i noticed is that yes, the bolts can be lapped or worked in so they become smoother and reliable. i'm thinking of taking a chance on either a montana or hunter in a 6.5 creedmoor. i was able to handle the mountain ascent, sub alpine and hunter. the hunter actually felt the best in hand. for those that have had the montana, how did they compare to the hunter as far as balance and handling?

Trees91

WKR
Personally I don’t think it gets much better than the Montana stock. I think the extra cost over the hunter is worth it. And I’m not a big fan of the hunter’s magazine. I’m partial to a blind mag box.

16Bore

WKR
I had a 270 Montana that went 6lb 8oz with Talley LW's and a Leupold 6x42.

Pretty dang light. That stock is certainly worth the extra coin

Will be very interested in how that 6.5 turns out. Would like to set up a 6.5 as light and short as possible to still deliver a 143 eld at 2800 for backpack Coues.

16Bore

WKR
Light rifles can be a pretty deep rabbit hole if you're not careful....

irrespective of cost I'd take a superlite over any kimber Montana/ascent/adirondack..

Kimber triggers are susceptible to getting gunked up and dropping sear.. stainless rusts easier then the tikka. Exposed Mauser extractor sucks balls. Super ez to bind up bolt during feeding.. actions threads miscut.. lugs not bedded, slave action bedded. Front action screws too long.. mag boxes bound up.. safety is clunky and noisy. Oh and they tend not to be shooters.

Put a superlite in a wildcat, Stay in the 308 family of cartridges and be done with

16Bore

WKR
That's a pretty good list of things that go wrong...or not.

Sounds like a Barret Fieldcraft is in your future. You won't be satisfied with a Tikka or a Kimber.

irrespective of cost I'd take a superlite over any kimber Montana/ascent/adirondack..

Kimber triggers are susceptible to getting gunked up and dropping sear.. stainless rusts easier then the tikka. Exposed Mauser extractor sucks balls. Super ez to bind up bolt during feeding.. actions threads miscut.. lugs not bedded, slave action bedded. Front action screws too long.. mag boxes bound up.. safety is clunky and noisy. Oh and they tend not to be shooters.

Put a superlite in a wildcat, Stay in the 308 family of cartridges and be done with

Sounds like you’ve got a lot of experience with them?