Another tire thread! 8-10 ply recommendations in a 20" rim?

EmperorMA

WKR
BFG AT/KO2.

Mine have 72,000 miles and will be replaced at the end of this summer with an identical set. Great is mud, rock and snow.

I'm sold on Toyos.

I've ran M55s, MTs and CTs now. M55s wear like iron and have a hum to them. Solid logging road tires.
MTs did well for mud terrains and would happily have them again. Currently running CTs and I like them alot. Mind you I only have about 5000km on them. Did well in the winter.

Look at the trail grapplers I'm running them on 3 different 3/4 trucks nothing but positive I think I've went thru about 6 or seven sets of them. Pull good off the road and they don't roar on the highway. If rotated you can expect 50k

EastMT

WKR
The advantage of lower profile sidewalls is less bend when cornering, hence the fast cars with low pro tires. The disadvantage is rougher ride with less sidewall to absorb bumps. With most new trucks used as grocery getters more often than not, makers have went to more comfort, road handling to match the usage.

By putting 35” tires on 20” rims you get a little of both at the sacrifice of stopping power, bigger diameter is harder do slow down, wider tires with more distributed weight, less pounds per inch can skid easier. That’s why most sand tires are 15” wide, float on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Am I the only one who’s gotten flats with the Toyo MTs? I moved to the Cooper Maxx, haven’t had any flats but didn’t get near mileage either. Looking for a new tire as well.

EastMT

WKR
Am I the only one who’s gotten flats with the Toyo MTs? I moved to the Cooper Maxx, haven’t had any flats but didn’t get near mileage either. Looking for a new tire as well.

I used to work in the tire industry, we tried all kinds of tires at a hard rock mine here I Alaska. Sharp rocks from blasting all over the place. Cooper STT were the best for puncture resistance, this is going through all the top brands, several designs. Those were the old style that resembled the Toyo MT, I haven’t tried the new ones yet.

On the North Slope oil fields for more rounded gravel, the best for longevity and nonstop gravel driving was Bridgestone M700. They have a solid shoulder, good for highway also but not good for mud/deep wet snow.

I currently run Cooper AT3, they are terrible rock throwers, I’m going to try something different, at 41k now, about half tread. I’ll take them off and sell them this fall before hunting season.

sneaky

"DADDY"

I trade mileage on my Maxx for the peace of mind of not having flats. I get about 70k miles on a set of them since I'm only running them on a Tacoma too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
About 2 summers ago we all made the switch to Dick Cepek Fun Country tires. That's on my forestry rigs, and all our chase rigs for fire at this point. They have been the most solid set of meats any of us have ever run. We were mostly running Cooper ST Maxx's or Toyo M55's before that. They held up good to the lava rock, sagebrush, and roughed in haul roads, but they got smoked fast for mileage. To the point we were buying new tires every 20-25k miles.

Enter Dick Cepek, 35-45,000 miles, no flats other than one guy who caught some nails on I-84. Allot of us are even running them on our personal rigs since they're relatively cheap too (about $900 through summit racing for most of us, and ussually they do a $100 rebate at some point). If any of you know how 2nd gen Cummins front ends eat tires, then you should know I had 75% tread life after 20k. Granted that's personal use and not work use.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Not to hijack. But what is the upside of running a 20 inch rims.
Bear in mind the style of the wheel as well. Speaking from experience that a more open spoke design 20 inch rim picks up more mud and snow than an 18 inch rim and can contribute to a bumpy ride at times.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What the general consensus on siping an aggressive tire? Full sipe? Center sipe? No sipe?

I'm running 35/11.50/20 nitto ridge grapplers. They have been nothing but perfect. They are on a 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax. I dragged a 30 foot camper from Georgia all the way to Montana last year. Once camper unloaded I ran some fairly rough roads for three weeks. Had them two years and they are wearing great and ride quiet and some for the tread they have.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
What the general consensus on siping an aggressive tire? Full sipe? Center sipe? No sipe?

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/ar...not-to-sipe-dealers-say-yes-tiremakers-say-no

Good article here, we used to run them here. As it says, good siping is the key. I’ve seen some sipe jobs over lap, cuts too close together and rubber breaks of in chunks. The testing says 33% gain in traction on snow.

Most manufacturers won’t honor warranties on siped tires, so that’s always a risk. On big lug mud tires I usually have it done. I would say if you want it done, ask to see some examples, tell them shallow, too deep the rocks can stick in them and do what’s called “rock drill” in the industry. Sticks, every rotation it get driven farther and farther in until you have a flat, breaks cords, exposes cords so they rust weakening the structure.

Not to hijack. But what is the upside of running a 20 inch rims.
They will clear a bigger rotor and caliper for one. Other than that just seems to be an industry trend. For off road a 15-18" would be better with a higher profile tire. Unfortunately I am stuck with a 20" rim myself for now.

Also for on road handling manners a lower profile tire will have less side wall roll...better stability but like said earlier you'll suffer off road without a bigger than factory tire on a 20 inch rim.

jmez

WKR

No trouble with flats but I had a set of Open Countries and didn't like them. The wear was terrible. I didn't get 40K miles out of them. No more Toyo's for me after that experience.

Not a tire expert but I've had the best luck with Yokahama Geolandar. Cooper's a close second.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
No trouble with flats but I had a set of Open Countries and didn't like them. The wear was terrible. I didn't get 40K miles out of them. No more Toyo's for me after that experience.

Not a tire expert but I've had the best luck with Yokahama Geolandar. Cooper's a close second.

What size truck?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Like I said I need some soon. Thinking about going with the Falken Wildpeak A/T3s. Does anyone have any experience with these?

What size truck?
I was wondering the same thing. Also, were they rotated?
Out of the almost 65,000 miles that I got out of my first set, probably around 15,000 were hauling a camper and towing a jet boat. There’s just over 11,000 lbs. riding on them here.
949ea7201b02f0509dc492ff299ce05f.jpg

I just put a new set on a few weeks ago, and I’m really hoping that the first set wasn’t a fluke.

Last edited: