Another tire thread! 8-10 ply recommendations in a 20" rim?

jmez

WKR
3/4 ton and rotated every 15000 by guys that put them on. Pulled 16 foot gooseneck with 1-2 horses.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Rmauch20

WKR
Like I said I need some soon. Thinking about going with the Falken Wildpeak A/T3s. Does anyone have any experience with these?
I have had them on my F150 for for about 2 years. I think I have about 20,000 on them. So far so good. They are wearing well. I plan on buying them again when it’s time.

BJP

FNG
I run toyo open country at2 extremes 10 ply tire 33x12.50x22 got 67k on them know should get another10k
No flats, been really impressed with them,

tdhanses

WKR
That's disappointing. Just another reason why I'll most likely never buy another new truck. Are they designing these things for the race track?

You don’t have to get 20” wheels. And there are plenty of aftermarket wheels to replace 20” wheels.

Wrench

WKR
You're not going to be bombing FS roads with 20" rims unless the tires are huge. I'd look for the best line through the hazards and not try to buy the tire that's bombproof.

You have a give and take situation. If you get a hard tire it'll wear well....but suck on wet or ice roads. If you go soft, they wear quick but hook up in the slick stuff. The killer on 20's is they don't have enough sidewall to air them down at all....so you're pounding rocks with 50-80 psi....that's hard for any tire to overcome.

M55 would be on one extreme, Bridgestone revo on the other....Cooper or bfg would be right in the middle....in my experience.

Mr. B

FNG
Check out the Falken Wildpeaks AT3W. They are rated really well by Consumer Reports. Well above many of the other more well-known brands. I've had mine for almost two years. They are quiet, wear well and have great grip. Plus, they were less expensive than many of the others. Bought them on DiscountTireDirect.com. 305/55/20LT. Great tires!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Check out the Falken Wildpeaks AT3W. They are rated really well by Consumer Reports. Well above many of the other more well-known brands. I've had mine for almost two years. They are quiet, wear well and have great grip. Plus, they were less expensive than many of the others. Bought them on DiscountTireDirect.com. 305/55/20LT. Great tires!

Bought the Wildpeaks about a month ago. I have over a 1000 miles now. They have very little road noise and seem to do well in the mud and snow. I hope they wear better than the Cooper Maxx they replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Bought the Wildpeaks about a month ago. I have over a 1000 miles now. They have very little road noise and seem to do well in the mud and snow. I hope they wear better than the Cooper Maxx they replaced.

How many miles did you get out of your ST Maxx? Maxx are probably the only tires my truck will ever see. I've had zero issues with them, but my Tacoma isn't heavy and I get about 70k out of a set. Hard to argue with that. Tough tires.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
How many miles did you get out of your ST Maxx? Maxx are probably the only tires my truck will ever see. I've had zero issues with them, but my Tacoma isn't heavy and I get about 70k out of a set. Hard to argue with that. Tough tires.

I don’t know if I got a bad set but only had 27,000 on mine with a half-ton.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don’t know if I got a bad set but only had 27,000 on mine with a half-ton.

Yeah, something wasn't right sounds like. They run those on a lot of the oil field rigs and get better than that. Bummer though, those things are pretty damn tough.

I've been running dick cepek fun country 2s now for almost 6 years now ..they have since changed the tread pattern I've run these so long, on my Jeep jku in a 325/60r18 and as of yesterday I have over 125,000 miles on them and only one really needs replacing and two of the four have at least 20,000 miles left on them...to say I'm impressed is a serious understatement.

Uttlc

FNG
I've run the Toyo Open Country AT II in 275/65/20 for the last 5 years and love them. E rated, ten ply tire and never had a flat driving all through the South and West Texas

I've been running dick cepek fun country 2s now for almost 6 years now ..they have since changed the tread pattern I've run these so long, on my Jeep jku in a 325/60r18 and as of yesterday I have over 125,000 miles on them and only one really needs replacing and two of the four have at least 20,000 miles left on them...to say I'm impressed is a serious understatement.

Wow, 125k miles on a set of tires, that is unheard of!

Wow, 125k miles on a set of tires, that is unheard of!

Yeah I drive 96 miles a day highway and the tires are on a vehicle that's way lighter than they were designed for so I imagine that had alot to do with it. When I sold tires just out of highschool the Firestone steeltex line of tires were known for high mileage especially in fleet vehicle's that got tons of highway miles. I'll be looking at dick cepek tires again in the next few months when I replace these.

Is that a truck? If so, what trucks use 20" rims?

My f250 came with 20”, damn wife’s suburban came with 22”. Sold both sets and got 18”. Much better ride.

OP, I’m a fan of the Toyo RT’s I’m at over 65k on a set. Trying to limp them to Aug and replace before winter.

My best mileage was the Toyo AT II XT’s. Worst mileage was BFG