Another traditional hunt AZ javelina

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Had a blast on my first AZ javelina/deer hunt. Didn't get it done on deer but did get my first javelina, learned a lot (with my equipment and hunting) and got absolutely exhausted with lack of sleep. I had a blast hunting with my buddy Dusty and he got his Javelina after i left and did a great job getting good footage thankfully.
I think we will make another video on what to expect on a javelina/deer desert hunt. I also think next time i will try to get one spot and stalk hunting because although we only did it one morning it was a blast and Dusty almost got it done like he has many times before, but for now here is our hunt.

Jbxl20

WKR
Awesome. I’m from PA but was in AZ last weekend. I’ve never seen a javelina before in the wild. We Hiked around the Scottsdale area looking for some but had no luck. We did run into a few coues though. Tough country out that way. I couldn’t even imagine how we would have been able to get close enough to get shot off with a bow. I’ve never hunted out west but plan to head to CO in sept. Congrats to you and your friend!

OP
HunterHawk

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, yeah besides catching glimpses here and there driving too and from spots last year on our coues hunt the group where i shot mine were the first javelina i had even seen.
Im from Michigan, i miss hunting the whitetail and turkey out there but love all the big game hunting out this way and hunting in the mountain and desert.

Sitting in a treestand or blind is hard these days, i always want to spot and stalk all the time now. Hunting with my recurve more now i do what works best to get close and get video.

Check out our coues and elk video if you haven't yet, and glad you enjoyed it.

Beendare

WKR
Nice vid HH.... that Havelina of your buddies moved a little bit on the shot. Your good camera work caught it.

I’m hoping you don’t mind I reposted it on the string jumping thread in the archery section.

I had 2 Coues deer jump the string on me in December and January. The one I killed, there was a little rustling breeze that did the sound of my bow and saved me.

and my bow is quiet like the black widows you guys are shooting. I can’t imagine how a compound must sound to these spooky critters.

—-

OP
HunterHawk

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Nice vid HH.... that Havelina of your buddies moved a little bit on the shot. Your good camera work caught it.

I’m hoping you don’t mind I reposted it on the string jumping thread in the archery section.

I had 2 Coues deer jump the string on me in December and January. The one I killed, there was a little rustling breeze that did the sound of my bow and saved me.

and my bow is quiet like the black widows you guys are shooting. I can’t imagine how a compound must sound to these spooky critters.

—-
Ya, i think the movement might be caused by the sound shooting through the mesh on the blind and the fact i think his was a 23 yard shot, mine was about a 12 yard shot. We didn't get good footage of mine because we were set up more for deer which that bush wouldn't have been an issue for but those little brush pigs were smaller than i anticipated.

All these desert critters are jumpy but i would be too with all the predators around!

Beendare

WKR
I find it interesting that on sites like this nobody wants to talk about tactics or hunting strategies .....which in my opinion is more important than equipment.

Everybody wants to talk gear..... The latest and greatest.

OP
HunterHawk

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
I find it interesting that on sites like this nobody wants to talk about tactics or hunting strategies .....which in my opinion is more important than equipment.

I agree, thats why I was thinking of making a what to expect video when hunting down there. Its not like walking in the nice cool mornings of a colorado or Michigan forest floor with wet leaves or moss.
Or blood trailing for instance where a lot of time its hard to find blood or tracks because everything is varying sizes of rocks!

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider

If you want to talk about hunting deer and moose in the boreal forest of the Great White North, I'd have something to contribute. Not much desert up my way. And I'll never hunt in the states, but I do like watching your hunting videos.

Thanks for the video to the op.

OP
HunterHawk

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to talk about hunting deer and moose in the boreal forest of the Great White North, I'd have something to contribute. Not much desert up my way. And I'll never hunt in the states, but I do like watching your hunting videos.

Thanks for the video to the op.
Ha, I would love to! A moose is on my list! And thank you!

OP
HunterHawk

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Damn fine shooting diding go anywhere! Heart shot??
Opps, i was half asleep this morning, thought you were talking about elk..didn't see it was the javis. I believe the 2nd one was a heart shot. The 1st one didn't go far either. Maybe 20 yards....but obviously shotty camera work on the 1st!

Last edited: