Another tripod for bino question!

crterra

FNG
After trolling and reading what previous threads I could find, I was unable to find enough info to convince myself what I need. So here goes. What is the best tripod, head, adapter combo for binos only? September high country drop camp archery elk hunt. I will not be carrying a spotter but have decided based on other threads that putting a tripod under my 10x42 Vipers, will be a game changer. What I have decided(I think) is pan head and outdoorsman adapter.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

OP
C

crterra

FNG
Slik 624 tripod with outdoorsmans micro pan head.
Thank you but is it necessary to spend that much? I'm not looking for the cheapest, but that combo is worth more than the binos going on top.

dotman

WKR
I guess look at it this way, the lightest most durable setup you could get that if you want to sell in the future you will get most of your money back out of. You should never have to upgrade this setup ever, even if you upgrade optics. Now you could go with another option but I can't really recommend anything else as I went from my cheap discontinued setup to this.

You did ask for the best setup and IMO, this is it. Maybe throw out your budget and others can post up what they recommend within it as there are tons of variations out there.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoorsman tripod medium with pan head and extender lifetime warranty steady eddy in the wind.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
C

crterra

FNG
I guess look at it this way, the lightest most durable setup you could get that if you want to sell in the future you will get most of your money back out of. You should never have to upgrade this setup ever, even if you upgrade optics. Now you could go with another option but I can't really recommend anything else as I went from my cheap discontinued setup to this.
Good advice. Makes sense. Will this combo also support a spotter if I add one in the future?

dotman

WKR
Good advice. Makes sense. Will this combo also support a spotter if I add one in the future?

Supports my 80mm just fine, but I use Binos the majority of the time. If I used my spotter more I would of went with the reg pan head.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have had mine five years beat it all to hell still worked pretty good started slip sent it back they fixed it rt away came back and is now like new. Besides the scratches.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR
Does this come with everything needed except for the bino adapter? Do you also use the vortex adapter or something else like the outdoorsman?

I run the same tripod for my razor 12x50s and it also works fairly well for my 65mm angled razor. I run the vortex adaptor, it works but it is slow. I would recommend this tripod but go with the outdoorsmans stud and you'll be good to go. Only thing about this tripod for binos is you probably will not be able to stand and glass, tripod is not tall enough (I'm 5'10") it's barely enough for the angled spotter but not by much. It's great for sitting tho

- Jesse

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'd echo that on the bino adapter - the field optics one is super cheap, and it isn't rock solid, but it does hold them up there is is good for the $ until I want to move from my Benro head and field optics adaptor to the outdoorsmans adapter and micro pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd echo that on the bino adapter - the field optics one is super cheap, and it isn't rock solid, but it does hold them up there is is good for the $ until I want to move from my Benro head and field optics adaptor to the outdoorsmans adapter and micro pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem.. Promaster 525C with benro S2 for spotter or standup glassing, Sirui T-0025x with OD micro pan head for ultralight backpack setup. Current issue with this setup:
1. Need to change the adapter plate mounted on spotter or bino adapter if you want to switch tripods
2. Benro S2 head does not work with Leica Stabilite Adapter (no stud for Geovids). The handle and adapter securement knob hit the Stabilite platform

It's probably going to end up costing me the price of a standard OD pan head to be able to swap back and forth.

I'm a less than polished glasser but my more specific take is this - my OD micro panhead is incrementally better than the ball head that came with my Promaster 525C. The basic benefit is being able to grid an area a little easier with the pan head and maybe a few ounce weight savings. Compared to the micro, my benro S2 pans smoother but doesn't lock down as precisely. You should be able to find a Tripod that comes with a ball head and use the field optics adapter and still have a very solid system for significantly cheaper than adding a Outdoorsman pan head and adapter. You can upgrade later as you see fit.

I bought the 525C from CameralandNY on sale 25% off ($225 shipped) and got the Benro for $50 or 60 on the classifieds. That's a pretty good system for under $300 and worth it over going for cheaper stuff IMO.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I have the same problem.. Promaster 525C with benro S2 for spotter or standup glassing, Sirui T-0025x with OD micro pan head for ultralight backpack setup. Current issue with this setup:
1. Need to change the adapter plate mounted on spotter or bino adapter if you want to switch tripods
2. Benro S2 head does not work with Leica Stabilite Adapter (no stud for Geovids). The handle and adapter securement knob hit the Stabilite platform

It's probably going to end up costing me the price of a standard OD pan head to be able to swap back and forth.

I'm a less than polished spotter but my more specific take is this - my OD micro panhead is incrementally better than the ball head that came with my Promaster 525C. The basic benefit is being able to grid an area a little easier with the pan head and maybe a few ounce weight savings. Compared to the micro, my benro S2 pans smoother but doesn't lock down as precisely. You should be able to find a Tripod that comes with a ball head and use the field optics adapter and still have a very solid system for significantly cheaper than adding a Outdoorsman pan head and adapter. You can upgrade later as you see fit.

I bought the 525C from CameralandNY on sale 25% off ($225 shipped) and got the Benro for $50 or 60 on the classifieds. That's a pretty good system for under $300 and worth it over going for cheaper stuff IMO.

Outdoorsmans makes an adapter for $55 ($110 for 2) that you put on your tripods and then it's super quick and simple to move your head from one tripod to the next, lets you use just one head for various tripods or window mounts.

Hunter6

WKR
Slik 634 tripod from s&s archery because sometimes I find myself standing up while glassing

Outdoorsmans micro pan head.

It holds up my Swarovski el 12x50 mostly. I have nothing but good things to say about this set up.
aef729e7f2731a10405d93913c79e3a8.jpg

---

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

Beendare

WKR
That Promaster 525 is a screaming deal on Cameraland right now for $140 without a head

I had a small cheapie ball head on my Sirui tripod for my 65mm spotter and 15x60 Zeiss binos and don't like it so much...its herky jerkey. All ball heads aren't created equal.....get a good one with a larger ball and I'm sure its a lot better than mine is about all I can tell you.

I have that manfrotto 700rc2 on order as I wanted something smoother in case I slap a vid camera on there. Its 1.1# so slightly heavy....but if i was only using it for bino the manfrotto beefree at .8# might be the way to go according to many here.

OP
C

crterra

FNG
Thanks for all of the great information. That's why I love this forum. Good information from even better people!