Another Tripod thread...

BigDog00

WKR
Alright guys, let me start off by saying that I've been lurking for a while and already learned a ton. AND I realize there are a ton of these threads, I've probably read most of them. I used that info to decide on the Razor 65mm spotter. However I cant seem to make up my mind on a good tripod. I have very limited experience (mainly from the truck) with a very cheap spotter so I've never really carried one in the field. I've recently became addicted to backpack hunting and would be using this setup for that. I want the same thing everyone else wants...the smallest, lightest, most durable, and of course the best bang for my buck. I would say my budget is in the $200-300 dollar range for both tripod and head. I also want a pan head. Another note, I'm 6'7" so I would need a fairly tall tripod in order to use it while standing. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the Slik 624, 634, and the Vortex Summit SS...

1) How often do you guys actually stand while spotting? Is it a preference or more of a necessity?

2) The Slik's seem to be the go to for most wanting the same things I'm looking at. How does the Vortex compare? I realize its aluminum vs. carbon fiber with CF being the preferred. It seems thought that weight and folded length are very comparable though. I've spoken with ElkNut1 (I bought my scope from him, THANKS again Paul) and he seems to really like the SS.

3) Is there another model I should consider?

4) I'm looking at the Vanguard PH-111 head...is there something else I should look at?

I dont want to drop the bucks on an Outdoorsman, JW heads, etc. I want to stay in the $200-300 range.

dotman

WKR
Can't help you on those two tripods and the one I run was discontinued a year or so ago but the ph-111 is an amazing value for what you get. I'm really happy with mine. Aron Snyder and Steve Speck have both given it great reviews as well, think Aron's video is on the main page.

OP
B

BigDog00

WKR
I guess my main question is how many people see the benefit of a taller tripod? Do you really use it standing that much?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Sirui T-025X? It looks like a decent tripod at a good price.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'2" and like the taller tripods. I wanted one that was versatile so I didn't have to buy more than one tripod.
Of course, they aren't as compact or light as the smaller ones, but that is a trade off I accept.
I'd say 90% of the time I am sitting/squatting/or kneeling because its a little more stable,especially in windy conditions. It is nice to have the option to stand if the situation doesn't allow spotting from a lower position, such as if you are in the brush or tall grass.

I just got a Promaster XC525C with PH-111 head and can't recommend this set-up enough. The promaster is only 4 ounces heavier than the slik and it is taller (not sure by how much exactly), not to mention no plastic parts. I was contemplating an Outdoorsmans or JW head and am thrilled that I gave the PH-111 a try. A fraction of the cost and I loved using it during my 4 day backpack hunt this past weekend.

BigSurArcher

Banned
Of the 3 you mentioned I have experience with the SLIK 624 and the Summit SS (as well as the Razor 65). The Summit SS is too light duty for your scope, hands down. When deciding between the SLIK 634 and the 624, I was having the same height vs weight dilemma as you. I went with the 624 and haven't regretted it for a second this season. I love the tripod- super solid, fast to extend and take down, and easy to adjust for side hill leveling.

Also +1 on the PH-111 head. Couldn't be happier with its performance using scopes and 15x56s. While I'm at it, I recommend S&S Archery if you're going to purchase these items.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
Slik 634 and manfrotto 700rc2 is a great affordable set up. I think you will be a bit over $300 though. I know it seems spendy but those few extra bucks are worth it.

OP
B

BigDog00

WKR
Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up ordering the T535 and PH-111v from s and s. I still wonder if that was the right call but I ultimately decided to go with a height right in the middle. I figure that I can still glass while standing for short periods of time if needed. Its a highly recommended setup so it cant be that bad. And I guess I can always buy a taller tripod next year if I think I have to have it. ;)

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Would the PH-111v work with the big Zeiss? Spec is for up to 4.4lbs and my Zeiss is 5.75lbs. It looks like a good head and at a good price. I currently use a Sirui ball head and it has got to go!