Another truck thread anyone? Looking to buy

BroncoAZ

FNG
I purchased a new Tacoma this year, the TRD Offroad model with the rear locker. It’s a great little truck, tows my boat well, does what I need offroad, etc. In this market I wouldn’t buy used, too expensive for junk. You’ll pay more for new, but at least it’s new and under full warranty if there are any problems.

satchamo

WKR
So, I've been waiting for a while and finally have a job that gives me some extra change. I'm still very budget conscious so am looking for the "best bang for the buck". Here are the boxes to check-long term reliable, daily driver, 4wd (almost certainly want rear locker), room for carseat in back (one rear facing for another year, one forward), would like the possibility of towing a small travel trailer.
Things I don't care about (but don't hate) technology, comfort, style.
I basically settled on a frontier pro 4x,(found a 2017 for like 27k) unless I can get lucky and find a titan pro 4x for less than 40ish.
Whatdya think, am I on the right track?

With your list I would 100% go full size. Mid sized trucks are nice but they’re mid sized. I have 2 car seats myself and wouldn’t trade the back seat of my f150 crew for the world. It’s sooooo nice with kids.

I have a 2021 f150 stx - 5.0 crew 4wd with a rear locker. I got it for 42k brand new with fords Xplan. I’ve been pretty happy with it. I just put it through its paces last week in northern new Mexico and southern colorado. If you can forgo some of the niceties - the STX is a really nice trim package for the price.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I just bought a new Ram 2500 Tradesman crew cab today with the 6.7 cummins for my foreman, $58k before tax and lic. We need the heavy duty 20,000 towing for heavy equipment. The only reason it made any sense for me is I can write it off in my business.…and get way over market for his existing truck.

If you can wait- I would.

Its bad timing for sure as I couldn’t find a dealer that would sell me a truck at MSRP, so for the first time in my life I paid up $3000 over msrp. Sucks.
They know these vehicles are extremely limited and trucks are just trickling out of the factory- if at all due to the chip shortage. When Dave Smith motors in Idaho doesn’t even call you back you know there is a lot of demand for these vehicles.

FWIW, this truck drives like a dump truck. I doubt I could drink my morning coffee in it without spilling. It’s night and day different from the way my Ram 1500 limited with the air ride drives.

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

FNG
I bought two trucks for work today, one was $1750 under MSRP from a new dealer I haven’t purchased from before, the other was a regular deal for me at invoice minus fleet incentives. Before leaving the dealership I ordered seven more trucks, my fleet sales guy seemed confident on the 1500 and 2500, but wasn’t as optimistic about the five special color Colorados. It’s a rough market, fortunately I have built strong relationships that are paying dividends.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Well you guys have echoed what Ive heard but was trying to avoid listening to- just go full sized. So thats the new plan. Now comes the waiting game of trying to find an appropriately priced one that has the features I want...fingers crossed- Ive been scouring facebook, craigslist, and a few dealers that have good prices. Any other resources I should be checking out? Forums, ect?

dtrkyman

WKR
I may drive my current vehicle until she just flat falls apart! But on the other hand new vehicles are not going to get cheaper!

I saw at the jeep dealer recently a nice little 5k mark up on an index card under the window sticker, said added for market value.

Wife bought a new car and that dealer was part of a group that was not gouging and there was even a 1500 factory rebate.

satchamo

WKR
Well you guys have echoed what Ive heard but was trying to avoid listening to- just go full sized. So thats the new plan. Now comes the waiting game of trying to find an appropriately priced one that has the features I want...fingers crossed- Ive been scouring facebook, craigslist, and a few dealers that have good prices. Any other resources I should be checking out? Forums, ect?

I think it’s a wise choice - full size is so nice with kids. I was in your boat a few months ago and finally decided I didn’t want to wait as things didn’t seem to be easing up.

When I bought my f150 - I rolled off the truck THAT day. They had 2 other 21’s on the lot. I was able to utilize Xplan pricing which got me 3k off of MSRP which is pretty well inline with a “good deal”. This was in June but I didn0 haggling. At that time, I paid the same amount brand new as all the used 2-3 year old models with 30-40k miles on it so it was a no brainer.

But anyone can get Ford Xplan if you sign up for a club or something. Just google it. The problem is some dealers won’t accept it with their inventory issues.

Not sure if you’re considering new but food for thought!

Broomd

WKR
So, I've been waiting for a while and finally have a job that gives me some extra change. I'm still very budget conscious so am looking for the "best bang for the buck". Here are the boxes to check-long term reliable, daily driver, 4wd (almost certainly want rear locker), room for carseat in back (one rear facing for another year, one forward), would like the possibility of towing a small travel trailer.
Things I don't care about (but don't hate) technology, comfort, style.
I basically settled on a frontier pro 4x,(found a 2017 for like 27k) unless I can get lucky and find a titan pro 4x for less than 40ish.
Whatdya think, am I on the right track?
I haven't read all of this thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned already the all-new 2022 Nissan Frontier is a world class mid-sized truck. The reviews are stellar and even many devoted Tacoma fanboys are raving about the job Nissan did with this one.
The Pro-4x is a beast.....completely redesigned. If I didn't need a 4' bed for my slide-in camper I'd own one.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
That's what kicked off my search in earnest. The 2022 frontier looks awesome, but now that I'm going full sized I almost certainly have to go used, can't spend $55k+, (although the frontiers aren't that far off from that!) So the search for the right full sized truck at the right price begins..