Another truck thread anyone? Looking to buy

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
So, I've been waiting for a while and finally have a job that gives me some extra change. I'm still very budget conscious so am looking for the "best bang for the buck". Here are the boxes to check-long term reliable, daily driver, 4wd (almost certainly want rear locker), room for carseat in back (one rear facing for another year, one forward), would like the possibility of towing a small travel trailer.
Things I don't care about (but don't hate) technology, comfort, style.
I basically settled on a frontier pro 4x,(found a 2017 for like 27k) unless I can get lucky and find a titan pro 4x for less than 40ish.
Whatdya think, am I on the right track?

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
Frontiers are good trucks. Haven’t ever owned one personally but known people who have. I’ve looked at them several times but couldn’t get away from a full size so I didn’t pull the trigger. Pre-pandemic, the crew cab 4x4 SV package would sell for sub $20k with less than 50,000 miles.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
20k miles deep on a 2019 ford ranger. It will pull 7,500 lbs. That little 4 banger with the turbo is kick ass in the mountains (though probably not as fuel efficient with something behind it). I get ~25ish MPG. The thing says 27 but its usually less than that. The transmission and 4wd technology is the same stuff they use for the raptor. Rides great on the highway, and it gets the job done stock on the trail, the ground clearance and size is nice on forest roads and since the power band is on the low end pushing up a steep hill is easy peasy.

I was between that and the Colorado ZR2 with their lil diesel. For about a few grand less the Ranger had a significantly more comfortable seat, layout for the buttons and general feel of the interior was better, the adaptive cruise control is pretty sweet and not an option on the Colorado. The ZR2 did handle exceptionally well but for the extra few thousand I could have thrown that at bigger tires and after market shocks and gotten pretty close.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Pretty terrible time to shop for a vehicle. It is definitely a sellers market and will remain so for a while it seems. If you can wait 6-12 months, it should save you quite a bit of cash.

I trade in every 2-3 years. My current F-150 is almost at 3 years and it looks like I'll be waiting another year this go round. Dealerships have been emailing me with offers, site unseen, because there is such a shortage.

All of that said, take a look at the backseat room the F-150 crew gives you. Price range is similar and you will likely be a lot happier in the long run as the kids grow. Pulling a trailer is also a lot more enjoyable in a full size.

Vandy321

WKR
If I didn't need a full size, I'd be looking at a Colorado ZR2 diesel...bison if you need that capability.

I'd buy new, at the end of the month. You're not going to find a deal used.

Pretty terrible time to shop for a vehicle. It is definitely a sellers market and will remain so for a while it seems. If you can wait 6-12 months, it should save you quite a bit of cash.

I trade in every 2-3 years. My current F-150 is almost at 3 years and it looks like I'll be waiting another year this go round. Dealerships have been emailing me with offers, site unseen, because there is such a shortage.
Might want to reevaluate your position. I was in your shoes last year, and recently pulled the trigger on a new one.
Here's the thing I learned... The auto shortage has raised the cost of Used trucks, but the New ones, yet.

New trucks are out there, just harder to find, the new value is good because costs do not reflect the shortage, with a price increase. Here's where is gets really good - the used value has risen significantly. During my foot dragging process (that you are now in), my 100k mile used truck trade in value, went up by 6 grand. Can't see it staying that way forever.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Right now there are some deals going around for 0% interest on new trucks which is a sweet deal. I ended up finding a dealership that has been keeping inventory buying out leases and was able to find a decent deal, went 2018 F150 XLT crew cab 2.7L for hauling the wife and kid(s-future) around.

Make sure to take your car seat and test fit it, a lot of midsize vehicles are really tight so you have to push the front seat forward, or in my parents extended cab Silverado 1500 it had to go in the center seat rear facing to fit.

Reactions: j33

j33

WKR
If you plan to use this with the family a lot I would strongly suggest bringing your kid and car seat along with your to all the new dealers, see how it fits with them in there. Even if you wanna go the used route this is an efficient way to see all the vehicles. Call ahead of time to set up the trucks outside, tell the sales guy your sole priority is to shortlist trucks and you aren’t interested in pricing at this visit unless they want kids running around terrorizing their building and cars…

I did that last fall on 3/4 tons, immediately eliminated the Ram 2500 and focused on the Ford Superduty and GM HD, bought a new GM in the end as found a deal I couldn’t refuse.

As others have mentioned I would strongly recommend a hard look at an F150 crew with the 2.7L ecoboost. I use them at work a lot, that’s all we run. A 1/4 ton truck is tiny for a family and you will likely regret it, I see no use for them other than to fit in tight spaces (parking or in hunting trails).

j33

WKR
Right now there are some deals going around for 0% interest on new trucks which is a sweet deal. I ended up finding a dealership that has been keeping inventory buying out leases and was able to find a decent deal, went 2018 F150 XLT crew cab 2.7L for hauling the wife and kid(s-future) around.

Make sure to take your car seat and test fit it, a lot of midsize vehicles are really tight so you have to push the front seat forward, or in my parents extended cab Silverado 1500 it had to go in the center seat rear facing to fit.

You beat me to it, I literally echoed your opinion before reading your post.

gearguywb

WKR
I had to buy a truck this week for a variety of reasons. I wanted something in the same format as you, but wanted to be able to pull more.

Ended up with a Ford F150 XLT. This year they made significant changes to the interior (bigger nav screen, etc). No one is dealing, but I did get a $2K personal offer from Ford and 0% interest.

Carr5vols

WKR
In 2021 we are 7 million vehicles behind production numbers due to chip issues. Latest update I received yesterday is this will go on into 2023. Chip mfg's are investing 400 billion in the next few years to increase production but almost all of this new capacity will go into more complicated chips to support AI. OEMs are looking on some base models going back to real dials and nobs 😃..as a fyi assume agree price jump on new vehicles within the next few months number I hear been thrower around is a 20% increase due to the price of all the components and raw materials. I am saying all of this to tell you if you are going to buy, buy now!

arock

Lil-Rokslider
In 2021 we are 7 million vehicles behind production numbers due to chip issues. Latest update I received yesterday is this will go on into 2023. Chip mfg's are investing 400 billion in the next few years to increase production but almost all of this new capacity will go into more complicated chips to support AI. OEMs are looking on some base models going back to real dials and nobs 😃..as a fyi assume agree price jump on new vehicles within the next few months number I hear been thrower around is a 20% increase due to the price of all the components and raw materials. I am saying all of this to tell you if you are going to buy, buy now!
Its pretty wild. I found even getting an air filter to be a pain in the ass.

tdhanses

WKR
I bought a new pickup in feb, got lucky with timing as 3/4 tons were in short supply and 1/2 tons were not at that point, I pretty much got in trade what I paid and then with rebates saved $10k off the new one, i feel the day of rebates is gone, now the exact same pickup i bought is selling for $2695 over msrp with a dealer price adj fee and most vehicles are sold before they arrive.

I have a feeling it’ll be a long time if ever we see prices come back down, thinking this is the new pricing if not it’ll be going up some. I agree now is the time to buy if you need to.

I also agree on only looking at fullsize pickups, the midsize barely fits a rear facing car seat from what I remember. I had a 2017 Nissan pro4x with the cummins for a little while, nice pickup but I’d probably never buy another Nissan. Had a 2019 F250 after it and it was much more comfortable and now have a 21 GMC 1500 diesel which I really like, I feel my years of trading every 2 years are over though and I’m happy I ended up with the 1/2ton diesel as it gets amazing mileage, 22mpg around town, ive had 31.4mpg over 400 miles of hwy driving and towing my utv I get around 17mpg.

Best my Nissan got was 17mpg unloaded, best my (gas) F250 got was 14.5mpg and avg was 11.9mpg, the costs for fuel add up fast But I also drive more then most, in 8 months I already have 14k on my 21.

Last edited:
OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Surprised to hear all the F150s - I thought they had were having big time problems, I know there is more of them out there so you hear about more problems but when my buddies had to get towed the tow truck driver said it was his 5th of the day or something crazy.
I do think I would lean more towards the full size, but its hard when payload really isnt that much higher but the cost jump is significant. Right now though its hard to find anything!

tony

WKR
I've had 3 F150s, all sold or traded with over 150,000 miles. My 2013 has a rear locker that will engage in 2 and 4WD. Crew Cab has enough room I could sleep back there. 5.0 motor and I average 20 MPG, 156,000 on this one. Only issue I've had with it was a transmission shift module that was covered under warranty.

I'm looking for a new truck and pretty set on a Ranger Tremor. Though for some strange reason I like the Jeep Gladiator as well.

I went with a 2012 Colorado with 80K miles on it, gave 16k for it. Look cheaper. 40k is a lot of coin going down the road. Remember kids spill stuff all the time so a new one is not worth it right now, kids will trash it. Ask yourself this question: there are two types of owners: do you use it or want it to look pretty

Braaap

WKR
Are you in the industry? We’re in the same position as others where we are looking for a newer truck between now and maybe a year from now. We were going to wait but might not.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
ok so If im going to go full sized am I better off buying say a 2019 Nissan Pro 4x, or saving the $$ and buying a mid grade truck and throwing on lift, tires, and a locker?