Another truck thread....Ford guys

tdhanses

WKR
If that's what the OP wants to do that he better order now. He may have it by next hunting season.
Yeah I’ve seen pictures of 1,00’s of Fords built but off in a storage area waiting on chips, thats effecting every manufacture, not many dealers have much as it is. I know GM removed the auto start stop feature because of the chip shortage.

tdhanses

WKR
You are correct, diesels are cheaper to own per mile driven. I'm not arguing that point at all, my point was that how much you drive and how often/heavy you are towing dictate how long it will take to pay back that initial extra $10k investment. I didn't do a good job of articulating that, and I'll probably screw it up again here, but I'll make another attempt at it. The extra stuff I mentioned (DEF fluid, Oil changes, etc.) takes away from the fuel economy savings making the payback period even longer.

Let's take one example on fuel economy alone. Obviously there are a lot of factors that change based on where you live, how you drive, etc. but to simplify it I'm just running it a few quick ways as an example. Do your own math for your situation and things may shake out differently. Again, I'm not referring to 1/2 ton trucks here, to me that's a different deal and if you can get by with a 1/2 ton, that's the route I'd go.
Current National Avg. Gas Price: $3.19/Gal
Current National Avg. Diesel Price: $3.29/Gal
Let's take my average 12 mpg gas truck and a 20 mpg diesel (plug in your own number if I'm off here)
If I drive 5,000 miles per year it costs $1,329/year in gas and $822/year in diesel
10,000 miles it's $2,658 vs. $1645
30,000 miles it's $7,975 vs. $4,935
The gap between the two obviously grows if you do more heavy towing, etc.

I fit into the 10,000 miles a year category so it would take me nearly 10 years to get my money back from spending an extra 10K up front on the diesel, and that's before you consider the more expensive oil changes (every 5K for me diesel or gas), DEF fluid, etc. Sure, it may not be a ton extra, but it does effect the payback period.
This also doesn't take into account the time value of money. If I take that $10k and invest it elsewhere I'm way better off earning a return on my money over that time period, and if you have a loan, you're paying interest on that $10k making the payback period even longer.

Sure, the resale value can come into play in certain situations but for me, vehicles are depreciating assets so I consider them an expense, not an investment and the resale value is a very secondary consideration. Your situation may be different swapping vehicles out every year and that may sway your decision, for me personally it doesn't.

Again, my point is to do the math for yourself and see how it shakes out.
As another point, my father in law owns a diesel F-350 that gets less than 5,000 miles a year put on it. He uses it to pull his fifth wheel trailer camping and that's about it. From my scenario above, he'll likely never get his money back vs. if he'd bought a gas truck. That doesn't mean he should have bought the gas truck, he likes how the diesel tows so for him it's worth the extra money. Do what you want, just don't assume it's right for everyone because it's right for you in your situation.
Is it really $10k extra just for a diesel, seems there are usually other options in there but maybe it is for the 3/4tons. When I bought my 2019 F250 I know my Lariet with the 6.2 cost the same as the base xlt with a diesel as they were what I was deciding between.

I have a hard time believing that same options for each would be a $10k diff.

twall13

WKR
Is it really $10k extra just for a diesel, seems there are usually other options in there but maybe it is for the 3/4tons. When I bought my 2019 F250 I know my Lariet with the 6.2 cost the same as the base xlt with a diesel as they were what I was deciding between.

I have a hard time believing that same options for each would be a $10k diff.
Straight from Ford's website...
0c0239a74428fb34e7e0174d71706584.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
My only hesitancy with diesel is cold starting after being left at the trailhead for several days in subzero temps. Perhaps the newer diesels start better in the cold?

My only hesitancy with diesel is cold starting after being left at the trailhead for several days in subzero temps. Perhaps the newer diesels start better in the cold?
I don't believe this is an issue anymore. We have hunted Late Season a few times with older gen diesels. Just make sure you have anti-gel in the tank and be patient for the glow plugs to warm up. We have never had a problem

KHNC

WKR

Got pics of father n laws truck and listed in classifieds. Going to detail shop on Tuesday.

tdhanses

WKR
Mine started just fine down to -12 without being plugged in, that is the coldest I’ve had it.

JW7

FNG
I’ve owned/operated Ford, Chevy, and Ram heavy duties. Unless you are towing constantly, I’d opt for a F150 Crew. More enjoyable ride.

Bama67

FNG
The 6.2 Engine isn't going to set the world on fire, but it gets the job done fine.

But what it has going for it, is that it coupled with the 6 spd auto, is one of the most dead nuts reliable drivetrains ever made. The only other modern truck that can come close is the Tundra.

I bought one after witnessing what our fleet of Ford 6.2 trucks were put through in the oilfields of West Texas.
They are literally beat to shit day in and out on the roughest roads imaginable, then idle at the 100 degree job site all day, every day. Then sold when they get close to 300k miles. Still, running and driving just fine.

My current personal truck is a 2018 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed and I get 16 mpg easily, sometimes more. I have done 800 miles on a tank of 87 octane. 92,000 miles with just tires and oil and filter changes. Towed heavy about 30% of its life.
I bought this one new, well optioned with 360 cameras, 4x4, big screen Sync, etc for $39k. Best money I ever spent.

Rock-o

WKR
...diesel engines are $10k options over gas.

Do you pay full price?

For example, in 2011 I ordered an F250 with the diesel. The diesel MSRP was $7800 and invoice was $6000. That's 23%... $10000... $7700. Yep, I get it, it's still "expensive" for some. However, I see it as either it's needed or it's not, price doesn't matter, unless one simply wants it. I didn't need it but I'm glad I got it.

I got X plan, which made it ONLY like $9k option for me. Sticker on my truck was over $85k but I think I got it for about $78k?

I also asked them to match Flood Ford ESP pricing - 8 year/100k mile bumper to bumper extended warranty for $2k.

OXN939

WKR
Holy crap! 12MPG? Even with a 38 gallon tank that's like a range of 460 miles. I'm getting much further than that with my 23 gallon diesel tank. There's the true cost...not the purchase price. Ouch!!! I get 27mpg hwy and 20 average (including lots of offroad) when traveling to Colorado for elk hunts. At $4. a gallon where I live, I would be spending $160/wk just on gas. No thanks.

View attachment 313764

Just traded my Dodge 1500 for a '19 Ranger today. Got 26 MPG combined on the way back from the dealership. Was stoked to find that the 4X4 (not the more expensive FX4) package comes with locking rear diff and skid plates, at least in the XLT variety anyway. Really liking this guy so far.

gearguywb

WKR
Straight from Ford's website...
0c0239a74428fb34e7e0174d71706584.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
To be clear, in most cases it is not a 10K option at all, and certainly not a need to "recoup" the 10K.

Comparing Ford's, the 7.3L is a 2K+ option. If you are considering that, then its 8k more.

The true cost difference should be counted when the truck is removed from service (sold, whatever). Ever looked at the value of a used F250 diesel vs gas? Not counting these crazy times, the diesel will bring considerably more on re-sale and sell much faster.

There are F250's on the lots where I live. Not many, but a few. Every single one is a gasser.

Fatcamp

WKR
I just don't want the hassle of a diesel. I don't want to have to worry about someone else putting in the wrong fuel or def in the wrong place. Gas and go.

6.2 and a six speed are boring. And thus far do exactly what I need.

No lie about value though, people pay stupid money for high mileage Ford diesels.

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded from a 5.0 F150 to a 7.3 F250 (gas) last November. I tow a 7500lb tool trailer for work quite regularly and it made all the difference in the world. Best way I can describe it is with the F150 the tail is wagging the dog and the F250 eliminates that.

Had my 7.3 Tremor for about 2 months now. It's more truck than need most of the time. It gets better gas mileage than my old lifted Expedition with 35s and it traiers my Jeep and EB way better. Winch comes in handy too.
Plus it gives me more options for a slide in camper with the bigger payload and more HP and than a F150.

I just don't want the hassle of a diesel. I don't want to have to worry about someone else putting in the wrong fuel or def in the wrong place. Gas and go.

6.2 and a six speed are boring. And thus far do exactly what I need.

No lie about value though, people pay stupid money for high mileage Ford diesels.

Here's your sign. roflmao3[1].gif

surrounded by stupid.jpg

WKR
I use my F250 for a welding truck and I hardly tow anything with it. I had the 6.7 for a couple of years and put on 170k on it. Had an oil leak when I traded it in but no other issues. I got a 6.2l because I didn't need the diesel to tow anything. I have 160K on that truck now with no issues. I got 13mpg with the 6.7 and 12mpg with the 6.2l. Cheaper fuel, oil changes, no Def and less maintenance cost. I highly recommended the 6.2L if your not towing everyday. I got buddies with em and they are at 100k no issues. I think the 6.2l is a highly reliable powertrain option.

I wouldnt buy a new truck right now with all of these supply shortages. Ford is assembling the trucks, driving them offsite to park, removing all the microchips and other parts and taking the parts back to the plant to move the next vehicle in line. I would be highly concerned with some QC issues right now. I would personally look at a gently used 2020 or early model 2021 OR wait until they get their supplies lined out. Huge fan if the 6.2 250s. Been using them for years. Currently have a ‘12 with 150k and zero issues since new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk