Another truck thread....Ford guys

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Flatbed_ed on the ford forums, 430k on original 6.2, replaced and last checked was over 700k miles w/original trans and diff. Those 6.2 aren't sexy, but they are hard to kill. The 7.3 (gas) is slowly building a good reputation too.

I wouldnt buy a new truck right now with all of these supply shortages. Ford is assembling the trucks, driving them offsite to park, removing all the microchips and other parts and taking the parts back to the plant to move the next vehicle in line. I would be highly concerned with some QC issues right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine order took about 2 months longer than normal...it was at the Kentucky motor speedway for a month or so. I have had zero issues. Had 34 miles on when I picked it up.. Before the shortages it probably would have set on dealer lot that long. At least my truck was in restricted access area with security guards. Instead of folks climbing all over it kicking the tires on dealers lot. What's funny is the 22s are missing some of the options that the 21s have, the most interesting 22s don't have an under hood light for engine bay.

Yea I get that, just kind of concerning to me that some things may have been skimped on, or messed up during disassembly of parts/reassembly due to the shortages. Prob not an issue I would just personally prefer to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my F250 for a welding truck and I hardly tow anything with it. I had the 6.7 for a couple of years and put on 170k on it. Had an oil leak when I traded it in but no other issues. I got a 6.2l because I didn't need the diesel to tow anything. I have 160K on that truck now with no issues. I got 13mpg with the 6.7 and 12mpg with the 6.2l. Cheaper fuel, oil changes, no Def and less maintenance cost. I highly recommended the 6.2L if your not towing everyday. I got buddies with em and they are at 100k no issues. I think the 6.2l is a highly reliable powertrain option.
I can confirm about the 6.2L reliability. I have a 2011 F150 with the 6.2 (you could get it as an option in 10-11 i think in the higher trims). Im sitting at 210K right now with no problems other than an AC condenser that started leaking and 1 radiator crack, but no real drivetrain issues, or issues of any kind really. I also wouldnt hesitate to drive it out west tomorrow.

Button

WKR
I’m going to need a new truck in the near future. Beach driving puts a hurt on them. Next truck will never go to the beach and I’ll keep the current one as a designated rolling tackle box always ready to hit the beach. It’s loaded to the gills right now. SHARKATHON time.

Fatcamp

WKR
I’m going to need a new truck in the near future. Beach driving puts a hurt on them. Next truck will never go to the beach and I’ll keep the current one as a designated rolling tackle box always ready to hit the beach. It’s loaded to the gills right now. SHARKATHON time.

Need some pictures of this activity. 😉

You might consider the 7.3 gas with the 10 speed automatic. Stronger than the 6.2 and fuel economy should be about the same. My two hunting buddies have one of each and the mpg is about equal.

I'd like to upgrade my truck. Currently driving a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab. I like the truck for the most part but really need a crew cab for the kid and dogs. I typically only drive it on the weekends because I have a car for my long work commute. In the summer I am hauling a 18ft fishing boat a lot, in the fall and winter I and usually hunting out of it.

I like the idea of bumping up to a F250. I would like to get a bigger(heavier) boat in the near future that I feel would be at the top end of the towing range for most half tons. I also hate the small fuel tanks in most half ton trucks and there's very few options for much over 30 gallons in the half tons. For me, that comes into play on long hunting trips as well as towing a boat/trailer.

I priced out a pretty basic F250. 6.2 gas, 6 speed tranny. XL trim with quite a few options. I'm ok with the price. Unfortunately they're saying the lead time is 4 months. If I do this, I want to do it right and not have to buy another truck for the next 20 years.

What options or features from the factory do you consider a must have? Anything you'd recommend changing or making sure I get right from the factory?

What about aftermarket? I already am planning for a topper and in bed storage that's easily removable. Probably some mild A/T tires. I value reliability over looks.

I feel pretty well set on the Ford lineup(aluminum body) because of where I live(rust belt) plus I've liked most of them I've driven over the years. But feel free to make other suggestions if you want.
I have a 2017 f150 king ranch, it will pull most any boat with the 5.0 motor plus has the fx4 package which means a 36 gallon tank. I’ll never drive anything less then a king ranch till I die, I love it, 6 speed tranny, I hear bad things about the 10 speed

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Never buy a brand new truck, buy a slightly used one and let owner #1 take the depreciation hit. This way you can treat it like the glorified wheel-barrel trucks are meant to be and with the savings you can customize it the way you like. I bought this one for $3400.00 under KBB...

View attachment 313484

...and turned it from a puddle-sniffing Mall cruiser into a badass backcountry brute.

View attachment 313485
Not true in todays market. I just bought a new Tacoma because it was 8K (yes, $8,000) cheaper than a 2 year old used one with 41,000 miles. Of course I had to wait a few months for the new one, while I could have had the used one that day. KBB value on my truck is 5K more than I payed when I drove it off the lot less than 2 weeks ago.

But, in normal times, I would agree with you.

I got the factory gooseneck hitch in mine. I would suggest that and the third brake light camera if you are ever going to pull a gooseneck trailer. I would also get the up fitter switches. They are handy for hooking up all kinds of accessories.

Not true in todays market. I just bought a new Tacoma because it was 8K (yes, $8,000) cheaper than a 2 year old used one with 41,000 miles. Of course I had to wait a few months for the new one, while I could have had the used one that day. KBB value on my truck is 5K more than I payed when I drove it off the lot less than 2 weeks ago.

Yeah those used tacos sell for quite a bit more than most used trucks.