Another truck thread....Ford guys

I'd like to upgrade my truck. Currently driving a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab. I like the truck for the most part but really need a crew cab for the kid and dogs. I typically only drive it on the weekends because I have a car for my long work commute. In the summer I am hauling a 18ft fishing boat a lot, in the fall and winter I and usually hunting out of it.

I like the idea of bumping up to a F250. I would like to get a bigger(heavier) boat in the near future that I feel would be at the top end of the towing range for most half tons. I also hate the small fuel tanks in most half ton trucks and there's very few options for much over 30 gallons in the half tons. For me, that comes into play on long hunting trips as well as towing a boat/trailer.

I priced out a pretty basic F250. 6.2 gas, 6 speed tranny. XL trim with quite a few options. I'm ok with the price. Unfortunately they're saying the lead time is 4 months. If I do this, I want to do it right and not have to buy another truck for the next 20 years.

What options or features from the factory do you consider a must have? Anything you'd recommend changing or making sure I get right from the factory?

What about aftermarket? I already am planning for a topper and in bed storage that's easily removable. Probably some mild A/T tires. I value reliability over looks.

I feel pretty well set on the Ford lineup(aluminum body) because of where I live(rust belt) plus I've liked most of them I've driven over the years. But feel free to make other suggestions if you want.

Coldtrail

WKR
I'm looking to follow this also, I have a F150 that has been a good truck but I'm really at the limits of what I can do with it and the 250 seems like a better fit. Everything I read about the 6.2l is expect about 14-15mpg highway but will not drop more that a few digits lower towing unless you are really maxing it out. Reliability is decent too

Tgun46

FNG
I had an older f150 but I was on the limits of its capabilities too. It handled anything I needed to tow but struggled at times going over passes etc. I couldn’t justify buying a diesel as I don’t tow anything real heavy. Bought a used 19’ f250 6.2 lariat with 4.30 gears last fall. Been very pleased with it so far. It’s probably a little over kill for what I tow but would rather be on that end than not enough power. As far as aftermarket things all I’ve done is a leveling kit, rear wheel well liners and mud flaps. From my research if you’re ordering your truck a lot of guys recommend getting the 4.30 gears. Finding a used one with 4.30 gears is tough. 4.30 gears weren’t a must for me, just happened to find a good deal on one that had them.

I went from a F250 to a 150 and couldn’t be happier my trailer weighs 10,100 “gooseneck” my boat is about 8500lbs.

My f150 is a crew cab max tow/max payload 6.5ft box with 3.5EB w/3.73. The 150 hauls both loads very well and is much more comfortable than the 250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your ordering- I think I would upgrade to XLT package. Then you can add a few things i think are must have. With XLT you get aluminum wheels, and a decent “Sync” interior touch screen.

I would also add the FX4 off road package. A locking rear diff imo is a must have, skid plates, etc, I think it’s worth it.

I also would do the Ford factory spray in bed liner. It’s top quality. Way better than any after market and I think when I ordered mine it was cheaper than having one sprayed.

I would also add the in bed led lighting. It’s so damn handy.

If you ever plan to have/pull a gooseneck or fifth wheel, get the factory add in goose neck ball and the backup camera in bed.

I am a big fan of ordering exactly what you want from factory and having your truck built. Sucks waiting but you get exactly what you want. When you’re spending that kind of money, why settle for something they have sitting on the lot wishing it had this and wishing it didn’t have this.

OP
A
I had an older f150 but I was on the limits of its capabilities too. It handled anything I needed to tow but struggled at times going over passes etc. I couldn’t justify buying a diesel as I don’t tow anything real heavy. Bought a used 19’ f250 6.2 lariat with 4.30 gears last fall. Been very pleased with it so far. It’s probably a little over kill for what I tow but would rather be on that end than not enough power. As far as aftermarket things all I’ve done is a leveling kit, rear wheel well liners and mud flaps. From my research if you’re ordering your truck a lot of guys recommend getting the 4.30 gears. Finding a used one with 4.30 gears is tough. 4.30 gears weren’t a must for me, just happened to find a good deal on one that had them.
I didn't originally think I wanted 4.30 gears but you have me second guessing that now. I'd say in my current truck 50% of my driving is non highway backroad, 35% highway with no trailer and 15% highway with the boat. Just a rough guess based on driving it 2 days a week. I'm reading that the 4.30s don't make that much of a difference at normal highway speeds in MPG but towing and responsiveness seem a lot better. Would you agree? There seem to be a lot of regret from guys that went 3.73 and now want 4.30 versus guys that went 4.30 and now want 3.73.
If your ordering- I think I would upgrade to XLT package. Then you can add a few things i think are must have. With XLT you get aluminum wheels, and a decent “Sync” interior touch screen.

I would also add the FX4 off road package. A locking rear diff imo is a must have, skid plates, etc, I think it’s worth it.

I also would do the Ford factory spray in bed liner. It’s top quality. Way better than any after market and I think when I ordered mine it was cheaper than having one sprayed.

I would also add the in bed led lighting. It’s so damn handy.

If you ever plan to have/pull a gooseneck or fifth wheel, get the factory add in goose neck ball and the backup camera in bed.

I am a big fan of ordering exactly what you want from factory and having your truck built. Sucks waiting but you get exactly what you want. When you’re spending that kind of money, why settle for something they have sitting on the lot wishing it had this and wishing it didn’t have this.
So I built a truck on Fords website in each trim package (XL and XLT) and the XLT came out to $51k. I then compared what I was getting with each one and just couldn't see the $6k difference in things that actually mattered to me. The XL I built was fairly loaded out. Had the SYNC, the BLIS, power equipment group, trailer brake control, in bed LED, remote start and quite a bit of other things I'm sure I'm missing. Is there something that comes on the XLT standard that I just am overlooking for that price difference?

I’m researching a truck purchase as well, and am still considering the gas v diesel point. I was firm on gas from a cost and maintenance perspective, but I’m coming around on that.

As you know, gas will be cheaper to maintain but I would not count on 15 mpg from a 6.2 regularly. Closer to 10 is normal, according to a friend who works for an equipment rental company as a mechanic. Said his service truck (f350, 6.2) gets about 8 mpg and (the kicker) only has a 200 mile range, really needing to fill up at 180. I hadn’t considered range before, and filling up that often sounds….irritating. Just a data point for you to consider.

Reactions: ZDR
Whatever you want you better get you order in now and you might get before Christmas..orderd a MY21 f250 7.3 2/19 still waiting. They aren't even scheduling 22 F250s orders yet with Sync4 due to chip shortages.

Upfitter switches and factory installed winch were my two big have to haves. I did get 4.30 gears and 10sp transmission but that comes with the Tremor package. I didn't get the back up assist. Been backing up trailers for 30 yrs without it. 22MY will also have a bigger screen in the dash.

Just a warning if you do order from Ford, you will be going down a long dark road and don't look Ford to light your way. My truck has shown "in production" since 4/20 current ETA for deliver 10/31. Ford can't tell me a thing..call evey week get the same story its at the plant.....Good Luck!

Coldtrail

WKR
I just talked to my dealer, they are kind of BSing the time line and refuse to lock in a date or even a month when a person could see a truck. "We do have one similar, it's an F150 Crew Cab XLT with 5.5' bed for $62,000"

I'm not looking for a $62,000 car, at least sweeten the deal with something I can haul some cargo in.

Local dealer has had basically no truck inventory for a few months. Stopped in to get some parts and saw a few half tons on the lot, but they are all used. Guess they just needed something at all to sell. As evidence to the supply situation, they have two "Pure Michigan" editions on the lot.....in LOUISIANA. Lol. And a used raptor that they want 80K for.

What world is this?

I gotta say, I bought a 21 F150 XLT about 2 and a half months back, and seeing the prices now I’m glad I didn’t wait.

One of my wife’s friends boyfriend runs a slew of dealerships here, and his theory is they’re purposely holding back so they can go up on the prices once the ‘22 models come out.

I think this is the only time in history where new vehicles have appreciated leaving the lot.

I went from an 18 250 with 4.30 and the 6.2 to a 20 150 3.5 EB w/3.73. For towing I feel the 150 has more usable power in the mountains but it also has the 10 speed and the 250 had a 6.

With the 250 my average fuel economy for the 29,000 miles I owned it was 10.4mpg

The 150 has 9600 miles and my average is 16.2. Both doing the same amount of towing and commuting.

I just talked to my dealer, they are kind of BSing the time line and refuse to lock in a date or even a month when a person could see a truck. "We do have one similar, it's an F150 Crew Cab XLT with 5.5' bed for $62,000"

I'm not looking for a $62,000 car, at least sweeten the deal with something I can haul some cargo in.
They aren't BSing they don't know...Ford Corp isnt telling its dealers and its customers nothing. Ford has been building and storing F150s and 250s since March...they have a mess on there hands. I don't think anybody knows the truth.

My dealer told me to come and order a 22 because I may get before my 21 I already orderd.

Last edited:
Ya know what the difference between a Ram truck driver and a Ford truck driver is after an 8 hour drive? The Ram driver can still walk upright, pain-free. Rent em, drive em a good ways and see for yourself. When my Ram went into the shop after hitting this...

RAMROCK.jpg

...I was stuck driving an F150 rental for a couple of weeks, That damn POS hurt my back bad. My truck is so much more comfortable, even for passengers. No comparison IMO.

cf21e17ec12b74365212e4954d06a1fd.gif

KHNC

WKR
My Father N law is in bad health, wife is selling his 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD 4 Door. 62k miles, perfect condition. I will have pics tomorrow evening when we pick it up to take it to be detailed. Selling for 32,000. Hendersonville NC. Anyone interested, just send me a text at 828 674 6752. I will send pics after tomorrow.

Bearsears

WKR
I went from an 18 250 with 4.30 and the 6.2 to a 20 150 3.5 EB w/3.73. For towing I feel the 150 has more usable power in the mountains but it also has the 10 speed and the 250 had a 6.

With the 250 my average fuel economy for the 29,000 miles I owned it was 10.4mpg

The 150 has 9600 miles and my average is 16.2. Both doing the same amount of towing and commuting.

This.

The Eco boost tows really well in the mountains. We bought my wife an Expedition with the 3.5eb and tow package with 3.73's our boat weighs 7.5k. She was able to stay right on my butt while I was towing the 5th wheel over i70 to lake Powell this year. Turbos are king at high elevation no doubt. Fuel tank is small though and range isnt the greatest. Trade offs. I wouldnt discount a F150 with the 3.5l eb spec'd to tow. They also fit on the trails alot better with a short bed and mild lift. Thank the lord I have an older Cummins that Im never getting rid of now. New trucks are insane.

11boo

WKR
Ya know what the difference between a Ram truck driver and a Ford truck driver is after an 8 hour drive? The Ram driver can still walk upright, pain-free. Rent em, drive em a good ways and see for yourself. When my Ram went into the shop after hitting this...

View attachment 313182

...I was stuck driving an F150 rental for a couple of weeks, That damn POS hurt my back bad. My truck is so much more comfortable, even for passengers. No comparison IMO.

View attachment 313186
Gotta be a story behind that Bruce. A Boulder in a parking lot. And you hit it.