Another truck thread... Ram 1500

satchamo

WKR
I know there have been quite a few of these lately but i didn't want to derail other conversations with my questions. I'm currently in the research phase of the buying process. I haven't driven anything yet as I don't plan to buy until Summer.

With that in mind - I'm looking pretty seriously at the 5th gen ram 1500 (19 or newer)in the bighorn trim. From my perspective - seems like you get alot more truck and creature comforts for the money from Ram than ford, chevy or toyota. But I'm open to your thoughts and opinions. I'm a long time GM owner but they have gone WAY down hill in the last decade so looking to move to the RAM or probably an F150. Toyota is way too proud of their outdated Tundra. Do any of you have any experience with the new Ram's? How are they holding up?

Rob5589

WKR
About to hit 40k in mine. Only problem I had was a crack in the rear window frame. It was an issue by the manufacturer (FCA doesn't build them) and replaced under warranty. Other than that, truck has been great.
I also came from a Silverado, my son has it now, and am 100% pleased with my purchase. At the time, I wanted a new Silverado but GM had just released it and priced it in the stupid realm and wouldn't budge. They even denied me fleet type pricing through the wife's employer.

manitou1

WKR
My 2015 was great. Great mileage and zero maintenence issues at 100K. I traded it for a new Silverado this past summer and have regretted it.

archp625

WKR
I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn with Level II package. I bought it two years ago and have 32,000 on mine. Before this I owned a 2007 Tundra SR5. When the price truck went crazy high I thought that was the perfect time to sell my Tundra with 168,000 miles. I sold it for $11,000. I wanted another Tundra but they were basically the same truck I had with less miles. No real technology breakthrough. The led me to my search of truck. For the money I could nice find a nicer truck for the money in the Ram 1500.

In the 32,000 miles I have owned it I have had a couple minor issues all covered under warranty. I've had the rear breaks rebuild twice due to moaning when in reverse. I hope this second fix is for good. I also had the inside of the bed come apart. They were able to pull the bed and fix that as well. Besides that the truck has been awesome. I guess there are some buying pains when buying a new model the first year it came out.

A friend of mine bought the same truck, different color and has had his breaks rebuilt once and no other issues.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be glad to help.

Brianmp01

WKR
When I was looking the Ram had the best options for the price, originally wanted a F150 but would have spend like 15-20k more to get the same options. I would spend a little bit more if you can and get the laramie, the added options are worth it.

Moserkr

WKR
Loved my 2014 until i punctured the plastic tranny pan with a small stick, and fried the electronic power steering during a tough water crossing. Besides those issues, between me and relatives we had over 500,000 collective miles with zero issues. 3/4 still own them - me being the one that doesnt. I moved up to the 2500 cummins - still ram, just beefier. Way better resale too. Also better fuel economy vs my 1500 after i leveled it and went up a tire size.

Beendare

WKR
I have a 2019 ram limited 20,000 mi with the air ride, drive that truck and you will be shocked. My truck drives better than my wife’s Lexus.

I’ve had every manufacturer except for Nissan over the last 45 years that’s all I’ve driven is a truck. I love Toyotas, they are bulletproof but their mileage is terrible (except for the diesel Hino I own) .My ram gets 2 miles to the gallon better around town and 7 miles to the gallon better on the freeway.

it toes the light stuff well but with some thing like my 6500 pound track machine it gets a little Squirrley

some minor issues ( Bad windshield sprays and The tailgate is finicky) good truck so far.

—-

ZDR

WKR
2020 RAM Rebel with 11K flawless miles on it. THe interior is much nicer than any other truck I tested (Toy, GM, Ford), its quiet going down the road, gets very reasonable mpg (18-20 highway) despite having 395HP with a 3.92 rear end. I tow a travel trailer with it and mileage drops quite a bit (~10mpg) but nothing slows it down. Its a beast offroad as well. I am quite happy with it. I was driving a 2008 Tacoma and looked at Tundras, but way too dated for the price in my opinion.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Have had 5 rams over last 25 years and have loved them all. 2020 and 2015 currently in the driveway. 2015 has 140,000 miles and going strong. Fca makes a great truck.

I’ve got a 2015 that just turned over 160k. It’s been a very solid truck. I have put a new radiator in it and that’s it other than tires and a tune up at 100k. When it was bone stock I got really good fuel mileage, like 21-22 on the freeway at 75. I’ve since put a leveling kit and bigger tires and it hurt the mpg’s pretty good. I get about 15 on the freeway now, still not terrible for a truck. If I was looking at getting another half ton Ram would be at the top.

I can't speak to the newer generation but I've been thus far pleased with my 2014 1500.

I've always been a Ford guy (still am at heart) but I will say Ram leads the way with interior space and design.

Ever since Fiat bought Chrysler, the quality has been very hit and miss.
I would stay away from any first year model vehicles and deeply research user experiences and reviews. Websites such as edmunds come to mind.
With FCA vehicles it seems certain motors or transmissions (or a combo) are junk while others are great.

ZDR

WKR
One other note, as @Beendare mentioned above, the air ride is insanely nice...I wish I would have got it now...It does more than just give a great ride, but also sets the truck at optimum ride height to improve mileage when cruising at speed...

fmyth

WKR
2019 Ram Rebel. 20k miles and has never been back to the dealer. It's loaded with every option but the moonroof and ramboxes and has a max payload of 1,840lbs and a max tow rating of 11,340. I have added an ARE topper and a Hellwig rear sway bar as I tow a 28' Genesis Toy Hauler that's over 10k lbs loaded up. I am super happy I held out for the 33 gal gas tank as it gets around 15 on average, 19 on long hwy trips, 10 towing a small alum flatbed with my UTV on it and 8 towing my toy hauler. Last year I had 4 elk tags to fill and drove around 6k miles off pavement in all kinds of conditions and never got stuck. I did have to put wheel spacers on it to run chains.

Attachments

• 20200508_165544.jpg
    20200508_165544.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20201121_163351.jpg
    20201121_163351.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: ZDR
My buddy has a new one. Rear window plastic (window frame) broke at 8k and started leaking into the cab. Sounds like it’s a common issue on those trucks. Dealer will replace the rear window.

Seem decent enough otherwise.

manitou1

WKR
I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn with Level II package. I bought it two years ago and have 32,000 on mine. Before this I owned a 2007 Tundra SR5. When the price truck went crazy high I thought that was the perfect time to sell my Tundra with 168,000 miles. I sold it for $11,000. I wanted another Tundra but they were basically the same truck I had with less miles. No real technology breakthrough. The led me to my search of truck. For the money I could nice find a nicer truck for the money in the Ram 1500.

In the 32,000 miles I have owned it I have had a couple minor issues all covered under warranty. I've had the rear breaks rebuild twice due to moaning when in reverse. I hope this second fix is for good. I also had the inside of the bed come apart. They were able to pull the bed and fix that as well. Besides that the truck has been awesome. I guess there are some buying pains when buying a new model the first year it came out.

A friend of mine bought the same truck, different color and has had his breaks rebuilt once and no other issues.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be glad to help.
Wow, crazy. I traded my 2015 Ram in with 99K miles this past summer. Never had to do anything to it. Brakes still had a ways to go. My driving miles are mostly 60 miles daily on rural blacktop to and from work though.

FLAK

WKR
I have a 2016 2500 Cummins turbo diesel that is the stuff for long trips.
Just made a 16 hr. drive back from West TX.,,,long bed has plenty of room
for meat, horns, gear, and wife. Loving it.

wyosteve

WKR
I've been a Ram fan for 30 years. On my 8th Cummins and never a problem. Have an '18 Cummins for my 'tow' truck. Bought a 2019 Power Wagon for my daily driver a year ago and it has been wonderful. Lots of power, decent fuel mileage and comes with a lot of off road goodies already installed. Only have 12k miles on it, but it has been flawless.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 5 month old 2020 Ram Bighorn Level II in the Built to Serve package. BTS is a combination of the night editions and the North editions. I really like the truck. The ride and interior is awesome, as others have said you get WAY more options than you would with a GMC or Ford for a lot less money.
Naturally, I got T-boned in a snow storm (girl slid through the red light at an intersection) the truck is still in the shop getting repaired ($18,000 worth of damage). Before that I didn't have any major issues. The minor one was that the rear power window would "click" while opening/closing. THe dealership is getting a new rear window because they think there is a burr or defect in the track. The only other thing I noticed is that when I back up out of the garage for the first time of the day the brakes squeal/moan a little bit. I will have this looked at iwhen they fix the rear window.

TSAMP

WKR
Guys that upgraded to the 2500 that don't necessarily use it to tow often, How is ride quality compared to your 1500? I just came back from a hunt in west Texas and a 3/4 ton was miserable on the oil field roads. My f150 felt like a raptor after switching trucks.

Anyone have experience with the eco diesel 1500? I'm looking heavily at that pickup right now based on all the traveling to hunt I do.