Another truck thread... Ram 1500

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a '14 Ram 1500 and love it! My next truck will likely be a 2500. Not sure if I would go Power Wagon though.

My question is. Does your buddies 1500 with the eco diesel have the capability of carrying more or towing more than the regular 1500? I ask because my truck on a 4300 mile trip to Colorado and back from NJ got 21.5 mpg and I have often had trips between 200-500 miles getting 24mpg.

If not I really don't see an advantage unless my truck is the exception to the rule with gas mileage when you figure in the additional cost of the diesel engine, higher costs of repairs and higher cost of diesel fuel.
Short answer is no. It‘s just regular 1500 payload and towing, actually the max tow rating is less than a hemi v8 truck.

As to mileage and cost of the engine, that is a more complicated answer.
My fuel economy is going be on the low end of the ecodiesel range due to gearing (lowest factory gearing option), tires (falken wildpeak), and camper shell (more weight), and the fact we were loaded down and driving 80mph most of the time. Supposedly guys are getting high 20’s with these trucks, I don’t see that because of what I’ve already said and also I live in the hills and nowhere I ever drive is flat or straight.

I also did not pay a premium for the engine, they were blowing out the ‘19 Classic (old body style) trucks last year and the only engine option on the Laramie was the ecodiesel, and they had crazy incentives so the cost was way lower than any other half ton on the market except for a bare bones trim, which I wasnt interested in.

It has been my experiance that most men are not honest about their gas mileage. Not sure why, but everyone seems to want to inflate the number instead of just saying what it really is. Or they put on large tires and go off the computer telling them, which is already wrong, as it isn't calibrated for the larger tire size.

Same way with the guy that shoots coyotes at 1,000 yards, when it was more like 200 :)

Rob5589

WKR
It has been my experiance that most men are not honest about their gas mileage. Not sure why, but everyone seems to want to inflate the number instead of just saying what it really is. Or they put on large tires and go off the computer telling them, which is already wrong, as it isn't calibrated for the larger tire size.

Same way with the guy that shoots coyotes at 1,000 yards, when it was more like 200 :)
1000, 200, what's the difference? 😁

Definitely recalibrate your speedometer when installing a taller tire. Not only do you have the correct speed and mileage, they will generally correct transmission shift points as well.

My honest best hwy mpg with one size taller tire (recal'd), shell, and gear is 21.7. I'll take that any day for a crew cab full size with V8.

Reactions: ZDR
I have a couple sizes larger on a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with a tune that had recalibrated to the tire size and to your point, cleaned up the transmission shifts a lot.

I get 14 in town consistently and anywhere between 17-19 on the hwy, depending on how fast I drive and how the wind is. I check mine every fill up so that I can see if there are any issues going on.

A couple months ago it dropped significantly for a couple tanks. I knew something was going on and when I could barely pull my boat up a hill I have gone up many times, that gave me another clue. No check engine light but I knew the Cats were bad. Sure enough, two new ones and she is back to normal.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
You'd probably be fine out in CA, but here in the upper midwest with road salt and other road treatment products on our highways in the winter, rust prevention is an absolute must for any vehicle. It's not just dodge's sheet metal that sucks though. the cab corners go just as fast in 2004-2014 Ford F150s. Nearly every 2007-2013 silverado/sierra has wheel well covers/fender flairs because the wheel wells are rusted through. I haven't heard much about the 2014 & up Silverados and Sierras having as bad of issues yet. Avoiding rust is a big reason Tundras and 2015 & up F150s are popular. Tundras seem to keep the rust at bay, and the F150's aluminum body doesn't react to the road salt like their steel bodies did.

You’re speaking to my heart here as my 08 Sierra has fist size holes from rust above both fender wells.

I was completely sold on an aluminum body Ford after my last 2 gms were rust buckets. Then I started reading about the Rams and like everyone is saying- you seem to just get so much more for your money on Rams.

Are the 5th gen rams rusting already? Or are you just speaking to all rams through the years.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Are the 5th gen rams rusting already? Or are you just speaking to all rams through the years.
I have two different friends that own body shops and both have had 2015 & 2016 rams in the shop for rear wheel well and rocker panel rust repairs. One shop is in SD, the other is in MN.

Unclemoe

FNG
I got a 2016 ram 1500 tradesman stock as hell and i treat it like shit scratched up drove hard almost 100k miles on it with nothing but basic maitance and tires, great ride good mileage and so far no rust or anything i didnt cause on it and i live in the chicago area and wash my truck once a year

Ravenk

FNG
I own a 2019 ram limited 20,000 mi with the air ride, it drives really nice and smooth. Plus I heard it drives better than some Lexus.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I own a 2019 ram limited 20,000 mi with the air ride, it drives really nice and smooth. Plus I heard it drives better than some Lexus.
The RAM Limiteds are incredibly luxurious trucks. I had a 2015 and now I have a 2019. The 2019 is like a spaceship inside. The ride is crazy nice.