Another truck thread... Ram 1500

fmyth

WKR
Guys that upgraded to the 2500 that don't necessarily use it to tow often, How is ride quality compared to your 1500? I just came back from a hunt in west Texas and a 3/4 ton was miserable on the oil field roads. My f150 felt like a raptor after switching trucks.

Anyone have experience with the eco diesel 1500? I'm looking heavily at that pickup right now based on all the traveling to hunt I do.
I traded a 2019 Power Wagon for my Ram 1500 and sold my 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins. The 5th Gen 1500's ride and drive like a car. I can drive 12 hours in the 1500 only stopping for gas. In the Power Wagon and 2014 Cummins I had to stop every 2 hours to walk around and take ibuprofen. Your experience may be different. I do miss the Cummins when pulling my toy hauler up over the mountains but that is only a half dozen trips a year.

I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie I bought 3 years ago last month. It's the 5.7 hemi. I have 52000 on it now, it's never been to the dealer for anything. Best vehicle I've ever owned. I may trade up to a 2500 in December.

Beendare

WKR
One other note, as @Beendare mentioned above, the air ride is insanely nice...I wish I would have got it now...It does more than just give a great ride, but also sets the truck at optimum ride height to improve mileage when cruising at speed...
yeah don’t even think about driving one unless it’s an option for you. I put a spacer on mine for larger Tires which is essentially a 1 1/2 inch lift.

The air suspension not only gives you the ride of a Cadillac Eldorado but also let you adjust the height. So if I go in a parking garage I can drop it down a notch. If I I am in the woods 4wheeling I can ratchet it up about three or 4 inches.

it’s one of the things that sold me on this truck. FWIW I am not a ram fan boy. i’ve owned a couple of each of the major models of gas and diesel over the years.

it used to be that the dodge motors were awesome and the rest of the truck fell apart. I think ram has solved a lot of that. it helped when I bought mine it was $7000 cheaper than the comparable Ford or Chevy or Toyota.

benklein

FNG
I've had a 2020 Bighorn with Level II and the offroad package for about 7 months now. I had a 2017 bighorn prior to that (leasing). Overall I love it!

It's all about personal preference, but it's hard to argue that the Ram isn't ahead of the others right now. Drive them all and you will see that it's not just the features of the Ram that are the best. The ride quality between the big 3 is almost night and day with the Ram, especially the new gen Silverados.

Just my 2 cents...

Rob5589

WKR
My buddy has a new one. Rear window plastic (window frame) broke at 8k and started leaking into the cab. Sounds like it’s a common issue on those trucks. Dealer will replace the rear window.

Seem decent enough otherwise.
It's an issue with the window manufacturer of the power slider. I have read the same manufacturer provides them to GM as well, which are also cracking. They changed something because I have had no issues since the swap.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a 21' Rebel with the Tow Pkg/Night Edition. So far so good, but as others have said, don't test drive one with the air suspension unless you are prepared to buy it. It will ruin you!

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Bought the 1500 Bighorn (2019) a few weeks ago used with 29k miles. I think I got a great deal. I was thinking used Tundra but was shocked at the mileage. The 5.7 hemi is a rocket! Glad I'm not 25 anymore, I'd probably kill myself.

JakeSCH

WKR
I went from a F150 to a 2019 Ram Rebel, a lot of truck for the money for sure. My buddy paid about 10k more than more his his Chevy with the same features.

Its a solid truck that I am glad I have.

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie with the Hemi it has 23000 miles on it. I never thought I would ever own a Ram over the years but it was about $5K cheaper than the F150 and has more options. The ride is excellent and it is very quiet, I put about 1,000,000 miles on Ford and Chevy pickups on the road while working and the Ram is on par if not superior. Newer makes a difference in the ride and quietness no doubt but I have no issues with this pickup.
wmd

Scoot

WKR
I've got a 2018 1500 Bighorn and I love it. 57K on it and so far so good. The ride is excellent- smooth and quiet. A few problems I've had with my vehicle:
1) it is not impervious to sticks going through the back window. I was disappointed to see the glass shatter when I threw the butt end of a stick in the bed of the truck and accidentally threw it too hard/far.
2) The grill is also not immune to the SCUD missile known as a rogue hungarian partridge.
3) The front bumper is solid, but when it meets a deer at a high rate of speed it just doesn't hold up.

These issues may have involved a touch of operator error, however... :)

2015 Ram Limited owner with 75k miles, bought used 2 years ago, mostly used on weekend excursions/hunting backpacking trips. Have driven Ford F150 XLT for the past 20+ years as that is what my company purchases for us to use. Great perk, usually put 70-80K miles on them and trade them in, so I get a new F150 every couple years. Was a diehard GM fan boy previous to the company perk kicked in.. For the money, Ram all the way.

I ripped the air bag suspension system outta my Limited in favor of a true off-road kit from BDS. If you somehow manage to puncture that air bag, you are not going anywhere without a tow truck and if you are someplace where a tow truck cannot reach you, your truck just became part of the scenery until you can complete repairs on site.

Rob5589

WKR
I bet in a year or 2, anything with a V8 will be taking a big price drop.
Nah, people are used to 4+ dollar a gallon fuel now. Plus, if you have a pickup, you likely need it for one reason or 20.

accuracy

FNG
have had my 15' Silverado since new. no problems but a/c goes out and is a known problem that gm wont repair, very frustrating since they want $1500 to repair it. It does shift clunky and had valve failure from AFM which was covered under warranty.

Buddy has had a 16' Ram 1500 ecodiesel, with no problems but the cost of diesel + maintenance (even tho he gets 26mpg) for him is about the same as my truck running 89. His oil changes cost a fortune since it takes so many quarts. 10.5L per oil change. his has had no issues so far. Heard that ram's have serious engine problems after 130k or so miles or something, or maybe thats the HEMI.
Know someone else that needed a repair on ecodiesel engine, at around 100k or something, And the repair was like $15,000 or so. Maybe he had to get a new engine, i can't recall.

Watch out for diesel trucks with known turbo issues though, since everytime you take it in for something turbo related, will run you a lot of $$$.

Last edited:
Bought the 1500 Bighorn (2019) a few weeks ago used with 29k miles. I think I got a great deal. I was thinking used Tundra but was shocked at the mileage. The 5.7 hemi is a rocket! Glad I'm not 25 anymore, I'd probably kill myself.
Curious what you paid for it? I have a 2014 which was my first Ram being a die hard GM guy with the odd other brand. My previous truck was a 2007 GMC Yukon xl and I loved the drive but it was peeling paint within a few years, burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles and then the engine sludged where I thought I blew my engine. GM wouldn't do anything for me so in 2016 I started to research what was out there. I didn't need the seating of a SUV since my kids were all driving now. I ended getting a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 36,000 miles. It came with a Procomp leveling kit, Upgraded Zone UCA and Max suspension parts in the front end. It has been a great Truck. I did an elk hunt driving from the NJ shore in 2019 about 4200 miles round trip. I had my bed loaded down with two 120 quart coolers filled with ice, food for 2 weeks, backpacking and basecamp equipment for my son and I. We averaged for the full trip 21.5 mpg and that was with the unknown to me speed limits of 80mph on Route 80 and often with my cruise control set at 88. I also found on that trip it was more comfortable on long drives than the Yukon. I was able to go 400 miles without stopping while in the Yukon I had to stop every two to hours an stretch.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
$36k before taxes and other fees. Just put running boards on myself (wife not too tall) for $400. Taking it on a road trip next week to Arizona. Gonna be fun.

$36k before taxes and other fees. Just put running boards on myself (wife not too tall) for $400. Taking it on a road trip next week to Arizona. Gonna be fun.
That was the first thing I did with my wife. She is only 5'4 and couldn't climb in without a boost. I got a folding step stool until I had the steps installed.

Here’s my trucking the Routt National Forest in 2019.
c05fb2e62dec7b68d5e77de4bc1bec15.jpg

Reactions: ZDR

Rob5589

WKR
That was the first thing I did with my wife. She is only 5'4 and couldn't climb in without a boost. I got a folding step stool until I had the steps installed.
Mine is 5' and a quarter, and don't leave out that quarter :LOL: She sort of insisted on some kind of step so I installed some Westin Pro Traxx 4".