Another VA Mountain Buck

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Got er done this afternoon on opening day of rifle. Walked 8 miles today and finally connected at about 2:30 this afternoon. The wind was blowing something terrible, so I got up and started still hunting around 8 am. Got into a clearcut and started still hunting, so I didn't have to worry about the widow makers...
I love hunting the National Forest! Not many deer, but when it all comes together, there's no better feeling. Even a bonus that I killed him with my own reloads. 20211113_141358.jpg20211113_141321.jpg

OP
WESTERN VA HUNTER

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on great buck. What is your system for getting them out when you drop one that far back in?
This one I killed on an old logging road that makes a huge loop around the mountain back to the truck... it has several different old clearcuts about 20 yrs old.
I jumped this buck or his brother back in early muzzleloader on a rainy day when I was still hunting with the same wind direction we had yesterday. I had a good idea where he was bedding in this wind direction, so I figured the gusting wind was my best opportunity to slip back in there after him.
I use a Kifaru with external frame, have a Stryker and an old DT1 that I usually pack them out with.
My buddy helped drag this one out. Was about 200 yrds of dragging uphill and the rest was straight down the mountain to another road, then went and got the truck and hauled him out.