Another Vane Thread... AAE vs FF

Wapiti406

WKR
New to fletching arrows. Picked up a Bitz over the holidays. I think I have my options narrowed to the Flex Fletch SK-300 and the Max Stealth. Easy to see that the AAE are slightly heavier and require a little more prep and the cost of FF is quite a bit more. For those of you that have used both, which is more durable, and what are other downsides to each when they are properly applied?

Also, any input in glues and primers is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I hated the SK's. They're a pain to prep and fletch and when they pass through a target they get wrinkled up badly.........and keep the wrinkles. And they didn't work any better than most every other vane out there that I've tried.

I love the SK 300’s. Less prep than with the AAE Max Stealth and no special glue recommended. They are lighter yet a bit stiffer and steer the arrow as well or better and they seem quieter to me. I have not had any any durability issues with them. The Flex 2 version of them are supposed to be no prep, just glue, but I have not used those yet. Truth is they both work fine. I have arrows fletched with both of them now and have used both extensively and have not had any issues with either. I do prefer the SK 300 for the resons stated but either will work fine. Another option if you prefer AAE is the Hybrid 2.6

I never did like the SK 300, I shot the 200 for a
Few years until I found the max stealth (actually the trophy taker version) and switched for quieter arrow flight and better durability. SK 300’s were fairly loud while the 200 was a bit quieter but both far surpass blazers which are very loud. Still shooting the max stealth but I’m playing with a few different fletching, offset, and helical configurations to see if I can gain some accuracy by tightening groups.

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
Do you guys hear a whistle while shooting the arrow, or while you're down range when someone else is shooting?

Trophy Taker makes a version of Max Stealth? The only fletchings I see on their website are shrink fletch with Blazers.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I forgot about the sound. The SK's are the only vane I've ever heard after the arrow has left my bow......and I shoot Quickspins, which apparently are notoriously loud.

The SK's will work, I just prefer a vane that has no prep at all.......glue, press, and hold for 10 seconds. But I haven't tried their new ones, perhaps they're easier. If they were the best working vane out there with improvement over what I currently use.......I'd deal with some prep and other issues. But I can get equal or better performance elsewhere with much less hassle.

Beendare

WKR
I still have a bunch of the FF 360's I used to shoot.

Good vanes...but they were such a pain to prep. You have to use Acetone...and I'm trying to limit my chemical exposure [too late!] That Acetone is nasty stuff.

I have not used either of those vanes. I shoot Flex Fletch FFS-212 vanes in a four fletch. I buy all my fletching products from Jerry at South shore archery supply. I use his glue and a vibratite primer pen then clean the shaft with acetone.

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
As far as prep for vanes that require it, is there much more in the primer pens than acetone?

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I used to shoot FF a lot, but had a love/hate relationship with them. They were the best vane I tried but such a pain to fletch that I stopped shooting them eventually. I recently tried some of their No Prep vanes on my target arrows (marked NP on some online stores) and the set I fletched so far were a night and day difference compared to the old FF I had. I’m hopeful and will probably try them on my hunting arrows in the future.

No idea what’s in them, but I always figured those pens were just acetone or denatured alcohol or something. They never really help with my old FF vanes.

As far as prep for vanes that require it, is there much more in the primer pens than acetone?
Can’t speak for all primer pens but the AAE is not acetone. It has something that is an activator, if I accidentally touch the glue tip to part of the game that is still wet it’s stuck instantly

Trial153

WKR
I like AAE. I am shooting max stealth, pro max and just bought two sizes of their hybrids. The max stealth are the nicest vanes I have used to stabilized the full sized fix blade heads I like. bought a bunch when TT was selling them under their name. I have enough for life in preparation for when they stop making them

I like the stealths just heavy, I had my bitz set up with the hardest helical I could with the stealths and then tried the SK and they kept popping off I could only run half the helical as the stealths

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
I like the stealths just heavy, I had my bitz set up with the hardest helical I could with the stealths and then tried the SK and they kept popping off I could only run half the helical as the stealths

I'm not super concerned with an extra couple grains. I shoot a relatively heavy arrow. You don't happen to have pictures of those two setups do you? I also have a helical jig.

Lawnboi

WKR
Just so you know aae makes a hybrid vane in the same shape as the max stealth. I switched to them from max stealth cause I got sick of the prep work involved and still not getting adhesion i was used to. The hybrids are exactly the same shape, lighter, a little more flexible and stick like nobody’s business with no prep. As far as steering and toughness are concerned iv noticed no difference between the original max stealth and the hybrid stealth. Maybe another one to add to your list.

Just so you know aae makes a hybrid vane in the same shape as the max stealth. I switched to them from max stealth cause I got sick of the prep work involved and still not getting adhesion i was used to. The hybrids are exactly the same shape, lighter, a little more flexible and stick like nobody’s business with no prep. As far as steering and toughness are concerned iv noticed no difference between the original max stealth and the hybrid stealth. Maybe another one to add to your list.

Interesting. Good to know

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I never like the SK for the reason stated above. I'll throw in a wrench on this one look at the Q2I Fusion X-II vanes. I use the 2.1" low profiles in a four fletch and they are extremely tough and quiet.

dkime

WKR
I shot FF for years, then vanetec, now AAE hybrids and even though I see no noticeable accuracy differences between any of my flavors, I will probably never shoot a different vane again after messing with these hybrids. They’re bullet proof and you can pull the gates off hell with them once glued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk