Another vs thread!! NX8 4-32 vs mk5 5-25?

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
The leupold illuminated reticles are twice as thick as the non illuminated reticles in the mark 5 line. Just make sure you know which one you’re getting feed back on. I’ve heard guys says I could see the reticle fine even without the illumination turned on but again, that reticle is twice the size so that wouldn’t necessarily mean you’d be fine going with the non illuminated model.

Another versus thread! Aren’t you excited?

So I’m replacing a scope with a higher magnification scope on a long range build and have narrowed it down to these two.

The details:

NX8 - I played around with one and the eye box doesn’t seem as bad as the 2.5-20. Very manageable in my hands, but obviously was not on a rifle. Glass seems good enough? Again, a brightly lit sporting goods store so take that with a grain of salt. I’m sure the parallax is finicky but I’m not too sure that it’s a deal breaker for me?

mk5hd - Everyone keeps saying leupold got it right this time. I have never owned one due to the fear of not RTZ/tracking correctly. Have they been out long enough to squash that? Glass might be a little better than the nx8? Not a huge point of contention for me honestly. Not a huge fan of the reticle options either, was planning on mil-c with the nightforce. Eye box? Parallax?

More so than anything else I want this scope to be durable and track. I’m tough on my stuff and I don’t want to be on a hunt that Ive been waiting for all year (or sometimes more than a couple) and have my scope crap out on me. I know nightforce has the durability edge. But at what cost? Are 8x erectors really that bad? Has the leupold been put through the wringer yet?

Lastly, the NX8 is on the extreme high end of my budget. Atacr is out of the question unfortunately. What other scopes should be considered on my end? SWFA? Not really interested in athlon. Weight is not a huge huge factor for me either. Just no bricks. A couple ounces here and there isn’t gonna kill me. Would love to save the money with the leupold if I could, just not sure at it’s the right move.
Help!!!!
Mk5 without a doubt, both of mine have been through 2 years of hell and they track perfectly.
I was really disappointed with the nx8 4-32, and sold it after a few months.
The NX8 is Inferior to the mk5 in every comparison that I put it through

Don’t want to derail the OP‘s thread, but I’d like to hear about 3.6-18 as a hunting scope. I’m considering one to place on a rifle for a NRL Hunter comp or two, but mainly for hunting.
I have a none illuminated TMR, though I wouldn’t mind updating to one with the PR2 soon.
I think the 18X would be a great optic for NRL hunter. I used the 5-25 at the Nebraska NRL hunter, and there were a couple stages where that extra power was nice to locate a couple hidden targets.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
I have a none illuminated TMR, though I wouldn’t mind updating to one with the PR2 soon.
I think the 18X would be a great optic for NRL hunter. I used the 5-25 at the Nebraska NRL hunter, and there were a couple stages where that extra power was nice to locate a couple hidden targets.
I've got a 3.6-18 MK5HD on a custom built 280AI hunting rifle. It's the non illuminated PR2-MOA reticle, and in my opinion its a perfect hunting reticle. On 3.6 magnification it appears about like a standard duplex reticle. It's crisp, clear, and uncluttered. On 18 magnification its still great. I've got 0 complaints about it. I think its the best option out there for a dedicated hunting rig.

Can’t comment on the Leupold, but I just traded my NX8 F2 4-32 for another trusty NXS. I spent 6 months trying to warm up to the reticle in the NX8 and couldn’t, the parallax is Not forgiving. I find the multiple subtensions and fine reticle to be a little to busy as well for my taste. I new it would cost me a low light quick shot eventually, so away it went. A shame, because I really wanted to like that scope, I think they knocked it out of the park feature wise with that model otherwise. As a guy whom generally purchases NF, I would try the MKV before I bought another NX8. My 2 cents.
That’s what I am worried about. I have never spent 2000 on a scope and I want to make sure I make the right decision