Another wall tent thread??!!

I'm curious about the tolerances of the final build out of canvas wall tents. Specifically, the difference between "cut" lengths and "final" lengths. I watched the @Davis Tent videos and they talk about a 5' cut length for walls and 4'7" length for "final" walls. I really like that they are clear about that. The other manufacturers don't appear to explicitly state that (i know i could call/email, but I'm curious about real world deltas between cut and final).

Why?
I chalked out some floor dimensions on my garage floor and been playing with configuring my cots and table. I'd hate to have everything planned for a 14x16 and then get an actual 12.77x15.3 floor dimension.

Are the tolerances like +/- 5"? I realize that wet/dry shrink-expand happens too.

Also, I'm reading that practiced pros with colored marked frames claim that they can have a tent built out in <1 hour (some say 30 min). What kind of time should I expect from bag-to-built for a healthy/strong solo guy? (assuming I've practiced 6 or 7 times and my poles are color coded)

What's a better real world choice for the back wall? Window or zip/flap door? This is pointed at summer usage and cross ventilation.

Last edited:

Davis Tent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey @shoeshineman . Right now our 14x16 tents are finishing right around 16' 2" - 16' 5" for the length. The width hangs out in the 14'0" - 14'1" range. Each tent maker has their own philosophy on what a finished size of a 14x16 is. As you stated they can vary, but should be inches either direction, not feet.

We don't color code our poles, but you absolutely can. We have many customers that do color code their poles. We can get one done solo in about 30-45 minutes.

You can go either way in the back wall of your tent. I personally like just a window. If I add a back door then I loose space if I want to use that door. I typically have a table or cot in the back wall.

Hope this helps you on your journey to owning a wall tent!

JeffP_Or

WKR
Our group owns three tents of varying sizes from two different manufacturers made over a period of maybe 8 years(?).

My recollection is the footprint dimensions did not change - perhaps this was accommodated in the manufacture as Davis Tent notes. We did have shrinkage/pull in the final wall height - it varied among the three and was not consistent. We actually adjusted (cut) the pole lengths (internal frame) to fit after using the tents over a few seasons as they weathered in. Largest is 15x20; medium is 12x18; smallest is 12x14 - I seem to recall the most we cut off the leg poles for any of them was about 3-4 inches. The issue will not be loss of space rom shrinkage but loss of space from folks loving the comfort of a wall tent and bringing more stuff!

We have two poles sets for the three tents - one set has a section of (3) modified poles [eave/ridge/eave] that is interchangeable for the two 12x tents that accounts for the different lengths of tent [14-foot or 18-foot]; these slip in poles are the only one that get color marked (color duct tape). Otherwise, the lengths are pretty easy to figure out, especially with seperate storage bags - though, we also used sharpies and just wrote 'leg', 'ridge/eave', 'rafter' on them the first time too.

We went with zippered flaps on all ours front and back - we can then interchangeably 'attach' them to one another and make larger/smaller camps based on numbers in attendance. Back doors can the be fully or partially opened for ventilation or air flow as well. Worked great to have both 'doors' wide open during pronghorn camps at night. We do wonder what a window in the sides would be like as none have windows.

Finally - as recommendation go - I would consider a stove pipe opening in the side wall and not the roof; we believe it cuts down on the potential ember damage. We also really like the internal frame style over the ridge and support pole style.

Good luck - you will enjoy the wall tent.

OP
shoeshineman
Thanks everyone!

I called and spoke with Taylor at Davis. He was very helpful with my questions.

I realize everyone here is focused on hunting, but im envisioning this wall tent idea as a substitute for an rv trailer for family of small kids. I think the 2 windows and 2 doors will help with heat during summer even at 9k or so during family outings. Ive already got the tankless water heater system for hot showers.

Anyone else use this as a family rv substitute during summer? Tips to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its been awhile but im sure I can pitch my canvas cabin exterior pole in 30 mins.

Its the legions of other crap that makes it awhile to pitch the entire camp.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you going to be using the internal frame or traditional setup? I picked up an internal frame and tent to try, but I'm still not confident that I can get it done solo any faster than my traditional frame setup. And still not sure I can keep it as clean with that internal setup while it's flopping all over the place while I'm trying to get it all squared away over the frame.

With the traditional I can have all four corners staked, poled, and ridge in place (so standing) very quickly. Then the biggest amount of time is hammering all the rest of the stakes. I'm pretty sure I'd have my traditional standing before I was even done putting the top half of the frame together on the internal. But I will see when I try the internal. With two people I can totally see the internal being pretty darn quick to set up.

I have Davis 14x16 that i just purchased, but I used a canvas tent from Montana on a trip to Lake Powell a couple of weeks ago and it was windy and dusty as heck. But a canvas tent is pretty stout and didn't bother us much at all inside. I sleep alot better in a canvas tent. Looking forward to this winter and taking the new one out for a spin