Another which caliber question... or chuck it all in?

Boreal

WKR
If you were a 47 year old, returning to your mountain hunting traditions of old (in your 20s) but with a little more cash than was available to you in your days of old, and you had opportunity to choose a Kimber Mountain Ascent, which caliber would you choose? What if your safe contained a Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Browning X-Bolt in 30-06? Would you choose the .280 AI? The .300 WSM? .300 Win Mag?, 7mm Rem Mag?

Or would you chuck it all in and get the new carbon bow you've been drooling over at the local bow shop?

pwsINC

WKR
I have Kimber Mt. Ascent in 300wsm. If I could go back I'd have gotten one in 300 win mag.

Hand loading is important with that rifle i feel. Mine was super sensitive to it's ammo likings.

If your going to get one consider getting it as part of the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers life membership. Nearly same price but BHA life membership as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I much prefer to carry an 84L vs the 8400. The slimmer magazine box makes for a slimmer stock that lays in the hand very nicely.

All of the calibers will work its a matter of personal preference for ergonomics etc......I seldom use a sling as my 84 L is so handy to carry.

As mentioned, the BHA life membership wouldn't be a bad way to go.

I think I'd go with the .280ai. I was wanting a MA in that cal. for a while and was actually looking on the used market, then found a used Montana in .280ai and couldn't pass it up. I still kind of wish that I would have held out for the MA, but if so, I may still be waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bates

WKR
I am partial to the 280AI

I build my custom mountain rifle in 280 AI

Its a good balance of power and recoil in a gun that light, plus it feeds like a champ.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
I have Kimber Mt. Ascent in 300wsm. If I could go back I'd have gotten one in 300 win mag.

Hand loading is important with that rifle i feel. Mine was super sensitive to it's ammo likings.

If your going to get one consider getting it as part of the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers life membership. Nearly same price but BHA life membership as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The BHA life membership is exactly what I'm doing. I'm already a member, and have been looking at a new MA already, so the two seem like a no brainer. I have to admit I've been eyeing the .280 AI, seems to fit nicely between the Creedmoor and the 06, but wanted to see if there was significant love for one of the others. I reload, so no troubles there. Nice things to think about for a bit, anyway.

Dougfir

FNG
I don't want to stand in the way of your new rifle, but unless you're looking to shoot things out in the 500+ yard range, I'd say you're covered already. I'd use a 6.5 c, or a .30-06 for just about any critter in North America. I love new rifles too, though... If I were going to get a mountain ascent and had the rifles you do already (and I was a handloader), I'd probably go for the .280 AI.

Get the bow!!!! In my opinion you have two very good rifles for hunts that you want to do and can take all the animals you need to Both in the Last Frontier and the Lower 48. My guess is that you have done most of the hunts you want to (aka Bucket List) and now just want to revisit and do it in a different style... Thus, the BOW! If tinkering is what you like to do then a bow will give you the opportunity to do that with some basic knowledge. Fetching arrows and changing broad head weight etc. can be as addicting as changing and working up loads for your rifle and you can shoot in your backyard (If you have enough room).

Perhaps not and you have a specific hunt in mind that you haven't done. Well then, it comes down to what suits your fancy for that hunt. I personally think that the 280 and the 7mm are close enough to your rifles now that others need a look. I have never shot the Mountain Ascent but my previous experience tells me that both 300's will have similar recoil in that platform. I like the WSM and its performance even though I don't own one. I have looked at a Montana in that caliber and like that idea so if you don't get the bow. Then get the WSM

16Bore

WKR
First, I'd take a HARD look at the reality of your health, finances, time you have to hunt, and places you have to hunt. Then I'd wonder why any other the rifles you already have WOULDNT take care of whatever your going to do anyway. Then Id take a reality check and realize that the one old reliable rifle you have, that's never missed a beat and shoots like a mofo is going to take care of 99% of what you're going to do anyway. And realize that at 47, I'm likely a damn knowledgeable person and quite a friggin good shot. Then I'd dump all the rest of the fluff and buy the bow, only because it's adds a dimension of opportunity to a short hunting season anyway.

Then spend the other 49 weeks of the year living a fine life, experiencing other shit, and learning new things; because the real reality of it all is its more than half over.

But that's just me.

Literally.

First off, don't listen to 16Bore! Man, that last post was a real bummer. Your still a young pup Boreal, I can say that because I got a couple years on ya, and if you feel anything like myself, your planning on hunting the mountains of Alaska for the next 20 years or so. As far as rifles you already have in your safe, don't sweat it, if you still have room, you need to fill that space. I owned two Montana's when I purchased my first Mountain Ascent, I say first because I don't think it will be my last. As far as my "mountain hunting" rifle quiver is concerned, it consists of a .7mm-08, .270 Win, .280AI, and .300WSM and I'll never pass up a good deal (if I can help it). Like you stated in your original post, your at the point in your life, financially, where you can afford to spend a little more money on the things that you weren't able to 20 years ago. I say live and enjoy, and if buying a new MA, in whatever caliber, is what you want to do, do it!

stevevan

WKR
16 Bore? The fellas on this forum live and breathe hunting all 52 weeks of the year. If you got an itch for another rifle/caliber then scratch it! To many of us that is living fine.

elkguide

WKR
Life is good. Enjoy every day.

I'm looking for a MA in .300 WM right now.

(And yes, I'm older than you and I already have several other .300's along with Montanas in .270 WSM, 7mm08 and .300 WSM. Love them all but have an itch for a new .300 WM in the MA!)

hodgeman

WKR
Just my $0.02.... Hard to imagine anything your '06 won't do... take that money and go on a fly in trip, buy some better boots, buy better rain gear...

A bow is nice, I like mine- but in AK it really won't add much hunting season for you unless you really just want to use a bow on something.

I agree you have the bases well covered on rifles unless you wanted a heavier hitter and a heavier hitter than 30/06 in a MA doesn't sound all that enjoyable! My vote is Bow but you can't go wrong.

I'm with 16 bore on this. I have spent more on rifles than the vast majority have on houses.....and you know what, I always shoot the same one. So much time and money spent for nothing. I am not much of a bow guy. I shoot traditional, but don't bow hunt....at all. It is like the new fad of retirees spending their life savings on a new house that has twice the bedrooms as people in it. I see it all the time here. Couples build their dream home of 4k sq feet and 4+ bedrooms and only 2 people live there. Spent everything they had and now can't afford to leave the place to do anything. Save your money.....life is short. Spend it on adventure. That is my life experience, that I am now trying to catch up on.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
First off, don't listen to 16Bore! Man, that last post was a real bummer. Your still a young pup Boreal, I can say that because I got a couple years on ya, and if you feel anything like myself, your planning on hunting the mountains of Alaska for the next 20 years or so. As far as rifles you already have in your safe, don't sweat it, if you still have room, you need to fill that space. I owned two Montana's when I purchased my first Mountain Ascent, I say first because I don't think it will be my last. As far as my "mountain hunting" rifle quiver is concerned, it consists of a .7mm-08, .270 Win, .280AI, and .300WSM and I'll never pass up a good deal (if I can help it). Like you stated in your original post, your at the point in your life, financially, where you can afford to spend a little more money on the things that you weren't able to 20 years ago. I say live and enjoy, and if buying a new MA, in whatever caliber, is what you want to do, do it!

Thanks, Troutbum. I read one of your blog posts about a bike supported caribou hunt in the Clearwater Creek CUA, and that was one of the things that got me back in the hunt. Did my own bike supported hunt out there with two buddies, and had a great time. Punched two Unit 13 tags, and enjoyed a September weekend in a beautiful part of Alaska.

And thanks 16Bore. Although I have to agree the post was a downer, sure made me realize I'm not going to be that guy. I'll get out in the backcountry as often as I can, wherever I can. That can only improve the serious look at my health.

Hell, I may decide on the rifle AND the bow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spend some time on the archery talk classifieds, you can probably find that carbon bow for $5-600 cheaper than off the rack.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It depends. Do you already have a bow? If so, I probably wouldn't buy anything. If not, I'd definitely get a bow. Bowhunting is a heck of a lot more fun than rifle hunting. I shoot my bows every day, hard to do that with my rifles living in town. They mostly just sit in the safe.

mtnkid85

WKR
I went through a similar debate between the 06 and the 280AI in the MA. I went for the 30-06, just because I wanted to be shooting a ~180gr bullet and I wasn't certain the 1:9 twist barrel in the 280ai would stabilize the 175gr bullets.

So maybe consider what load your wanting to shoot.