another which hunting scope thread - F1, illuminated, ~3-15x

davsco

right now it seems to be NF SHV or $$$ ATACR.

really like the leupold vx3i LRP but no illumination. vortex LHT looks great but no first focal.

406Smith

right now it seems to be NF SHV or $$$ ATACR.

really like the leupold vx3i LRP but no illumination. vortex LHT looks great but no first focal.
Gotta give way more info than that man. There are worlds of difference between a generic VX3i and ATACR.

What's your budget?
What's it going on?
Weight goal?
How far are you shooting?
What kind of shooting conditions?
Any preferred features?

OP
davsco

davsco

the main features are F1, illum, ~3-15. 30-35mm tube, 50mm obj.

don't have a budget set, the atacr is $2500 and i'd rather not spend that much, closer to the shv $1200 range but i don't want to save a couple hundred and have it fail in sub-zero with an elk in my sights.

this will be either for my 300wsm or 6.5, not sure which yet. max distance, at least hunting, will be 5-600yds.

lighter is better. but i like lotsa light and realize bigger tubes and objectives generally don't come light. i have a vortex razor hd gen2 3-18 on my prs gas gun and love it, but it is big and heavy.

i don't like second focal plane because i prefer holding over (and certainly for wind) vs dialing and i won't necessarily be at max magnification.

i realize that's still a wide range...

406Smith

I'm not sure which ATACR you're talking about (guessing 4-16x42 or 4-16x50??). The 4-16x42 is listed at 30 oz and the 4-16x50 is listed at 33.3 oz. At those weights and at the new price of $2,500, I'd look more at a used/demo Kahles k318i (listed weight is 32.8oz, and demo/used can be found around that $2,500 range). A used/demo 4-16x42 ATACR can be found in the $1750 - $2,000 range, which is much more commensurate with that optic IMO.

In the sub-$2k range, where weight is a concern, I'd look at the Leupold 3.6-18 Mk5. However, the upcharge for illumination from Leupold is crazy. That little 44mm objective was about as bright at dusk/dawn as my 56mm Gen2 Razor. Personally, I didn't think I'd ever need illumination on the Mk5 while hunting. I only used the Mk5 for 1 season, but didn't feel at a disadvantage not having illumination.

Cameraland has the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-27 on sale for $1,150. It should be pretty comparable to the G2R, and weigh a bout a pound less (although still pretty heavy at 36oz). EuroOptic has the Steiner T5Xi 3-15 for $1650 (on backorder) right now and weighs 30oz - and I think Steiner has a free rings promotion running with these as well?

The Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 at Cameraland for $750 is about the best deal on optics going right now. It's about 28oz, has a decent reticle, 10 mil/rev turrets with zero stop, and locking windage. It doesn't have illumination though if that's the major sticking point for you. I'd definitely take the LRTS over an SHV.

Iron ghost

Trijicon has a new 3-18x44 from their new Tenmile series that might be worth looking at.
FFP, illuminated.

OP
davsco

davsco

Trijicon has a new 3-18x44 from their new Tenmile series that might be worth looking at.
FFP, illuminated.
hmmm hadn't seen that one. 24oz. prefer a wider obj and MOA v MIL. but it checks the big buttons.