Another "which would you choose"?

I know i know.

But I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Model 70 Extreme Weather SS or Bergara B14 Hunter. Gonna go 30-06 if that effects how you would choose. I know there's a couple hundred bucks difference between the two but that's not too big of a concern for me. I've held them both in the store but have not been able to shoot either. I'm slightly leaning one way but I'll see what kinda feedback i get.

So, what say you?

N2TRKYS

WKR
The only way I’d buy a M70 is if they started back offering them in a push fed action. I wish they had left them that way.

OP
uwantasandwich
The only way I’d buy a M70 is if they started back offering them in a push fed action. I wish they had left them that way.

really? admittedly I'm not the most knowledgeable about the intricacies of a rifle but I was always under the impression that controlled feed was generally preferred to push and one of the reasons the pre-64 model 70s were more desirable

Oldffemt

WKR
3 position safety on the winney is why I keep coming back to them. I’m considering getting a new rifle and that EW is definitely on the short list

N2TRKYS

WKR
really? admittedly I'm not the most knowledgeable about the intricacies of a rifle but I was always under the impression that controlled feed was generally preferred to push and one of the reasons the pre-64 model 70s were more desirable

A lot of folks seem to like them, however, I ain't one of them. I can't stand the looks of it and it offers nothing that I need in a rifle's action.
The three position safety is not a selling feature for me, either. I've never needed to lock my bolt down. I've never had a need to run my M70 push fed in the locked down position.
There again, a lot of folks like that. This is just my preferences.

Oldffemt

WKR
I hate that safety. For that reason alone, I'd go with the Bergara. I've got both manufacturers' rifles, and the Bergara is my favorite for certain.

To each their own. I like to be able to lock the bolt closed and still be able to keep it on safe while loading/unloading the rifle. It’s a great feature especially for teaching kids or new shooters. I’ve owned rem 700’s too and liked them just fine but I still take the m70 95% of the time. My only complaint is the lack of aftermarket parts.

16Bore

WKR
M70. CRF/PF doesn’t mean diddly to me. I trust M70 safety over M700. And certainly don’t mind being able to disassemble the bolt with a simple twist. PF’s are notoriously accurate. I know mine is.

I have a m70 EW SS in 7 rem mag. It shoots lights out! If I were buying a factory off the shelf rifle around the 1k mark it would be another one like it. You cant go wrong. Only thing I suggest is having/doing a better bedding job.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the extreme weather 30-06. I like it. I haven’t been impressed with the Bergera rifles, not saying they aren’t nice but they don’t do much for me.

On a Remington action the bolt can flop open when slung and going through vegetation. Know folks that had to walk back to find their rounds on the ground.

Winchester safety is louder unless you take your whole hand off and pinch the lever to slowly put it on fire. But it’s more protected from bumps because of its location. Remington safety is much easier to quietly put on fire.

TwoTikkas

WKR

Bergara here. These are from the first outing. Not an 06, but easy accurate and the barrel cleans up like a dream. I've had semi customs with Bartlein, Shilen and PacNor barrels that were no better than this one. A little over $800 out the door. Ill be looking to add an HMR in six creed in the near future.

OP
uwantasandwich

Bergara here. These are from the first outing. Not an 06, but easy accurate and the barrel cleans up like a dream. I've had semi customs with Bartlein, Shilen and PacNor barrels that were no better than this one. A little over $800 out the door. Ill be looking to add an HMR in six creed in the near future.

that's a really nice looking gun. I can't quite tell from the picture, is that the same action and barrel as the B14?

Looks like it's a Ridge so yes the same action but a bigger barrel and a "tactical" bolt knob. Factory threaded and a little heavier.

I dont like the Winchester safety but it's not a deal breaker for me. If I was buying an 800 rifle today it would be a Bergera Ridge or another Tikka.

I'm in the same boat as OP, looking for a new 06. Probably over thinking it but the EW has a 22" barrel instead of a 24". Which has its own pros and cons. But if one liked the 22" barrel then why not go with a 308 because it preforms better out of a shorter tube plus you get the shorter action and weight savings that goes along with that. Not to mention less recoil. But I really like that you can go higher in bullet weight with the 06 over the 308. If I was to only hunt whitetails then I would probably stick with my .270. But I don't, and I find myself in the 30 cal camp for Elk but I am not a fan of the mags. I know a 308 is plenty for Elk at reasonable distances but why not take the extra speed and thump of the 06 (even in a 22" tube). I seem to land on the 06 because I like the bigger case over the 308 even in a shorter but easier to maneuver 22" tube. Not to mention a shorter overall length which would make the gun better in timber but can still reach out in the open. At least this is what I have been mulling over in my head. Curious to hear what others think about this.

On a side I read a Chuck Hawks article a long time ago about having a 270 and 06 as a great all purpose two gun duo (not the end all be all or the only). But where both calibers excel at what they do, but one can back up the other just fine.

3 position safety on the winney is why I keep coming back to them. I’m considering getting a new rifle and that EW is definitely on the short list

ABSOLUTELY AGREE ! it's the sole reason I've given Kimbers so many chances (I believe they finally have "it" figured out too, at least my 280 AI HUNTER tells me it's so) MODEL 70 "STYLE" all the way

I'm in the same boat as OP, looking for a new 06. Probably over thinking it but the EW has a 22" barrel instead of a 24". Which has its own pros and cons. But if one liked the 22" barrel then why not go with a 308 because it preforms better out of a shorter tube plus you get the shorter action and weight savings that goes along with that. Not to mention less recoil. But I really like that you can go higher in bullet weight with the 06 over the 308. If I was to only hunt whitetails then I would probably stick with my .270. But I don't, and I find myself in the 30 cal camp for Elk but I am not a fan of the mags. I know a 308 is plenty for Elk at reasonable distances but why not take the extra speed and thump of the 06 (even in a 22" tube). I seem to land on the 06 because I like the bigger case over the 308 even in a shorter but easier to maneuver 22" tube. Not to mention a shorter overall length which would make the gun better in timber but can still reach out in the open. At least this is what I have been mulling over in my head. Curious to hear what others think about this.

On a side I read a Chuck Hawks article a long time ago about having a 270 and 06 as a great all purpose two gun duo (not the end all be all or the only). But where both calibers excel at what they do, but one can back up the other just fine.
a 22" barrel on an '06 will perform JUST fine … don't let anyone pull yer leg on that one