Another "which would you choose"?

deerkiller - haha, I totally agree. But then you spend too much time on the internet reading into the nitty gritty of it all and start to rethink and then rethink again... Sometimes there is too much information, makes a fella consider too many variables that at the end of the day don't matter a bit in real world hunting

wildcat33

WKR
I know i know.

But I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Model 70 Extreme Weather SS or Bergara B14 Hunter. Gonna go 30-06 if that effects how you would choose. I know there's a couple hundred bucks difference between the two but that's not too big of a concern for me. I've held them both in the store but have not been able to shoot either. I'm slightly leaning one way but I'll see what kinda feedback i get.

So, what say you?

You gotta go with whichever one speaks to you. You've held them in the store, I always think that the best measure (rather than just internet opinion). Whichever one had the best fit/feel/balance/weight etc in your hands is the one for you.

deerkiller - haha, I totally agree. But then you spend too much time on the internet reading into the nitty gritty of it all and start to rethink and then rethink again... Sometimes there is too much information, makes a fella consider too many variables that at the end of the day don't matter a bit in real world hunting
Ain't THAT the truth …….

16Bore

WKR
I'm in the same boat as OP, looking for a new 06. Probably over thinking it but the EW has a 22" barrel instead of a 24". Which has its own pros and cons. But if one liked the 22" barrel then why not go with a 308 because it preforms better out of a shorter tube plus you get the shorter action and weight savings that goes along with that. Not to mention less recoil. But I really like that you can go higher in bullet weight with the 06 over the 308. If I was to only hunt whitetails then I would probably stick with my .270. But I don't, and I find myself in the 30 cal camp for Elk but I am not a fan of the mags. I know a 308 is plenty for Elk at reasonable distances but why not take the extra speed and thump of the 06 (even in a 22" tube). I seem to land on the 06 because I like the bigger case over the 308 even in a shorter but easier to maneuver 22" tube. Not to mention a shorter overall length which would make the gun better in timber but can still reach out in the open. At least this is what I have been mulling over in my head. Curious to hear what others think about this.

On a side I read a Chuck Hawks article a long time ago about having a 270 and 06 as a great all purpose two gun duo (not the end all be all or the only). But where both calibers excel at what they do, but one can back up the other just fine.

Read it really fast (like after drinking a six pack of Red Bull) and it’s pretty funny.

TwoTikkas

WKR
I'm in the same boat as OP, looking for a new 06. Probably over thinking it but the EW has a 22" barrel instead of a 24". Which has its own pros and cons. But if one liked the 22" barrel then why not go with a 308 because it preforms better out of a shorter tube plus you get the shorter action and weight savings that goes along with that. Not to mention less recoil. But I really like that you can go higher in bullet weight with the 06 over the 308. If I was to only hunt whitetails then I would probably stick with my .270. But I don't, and I find myself in the 30 cal camp for Elk but I am not a fan of the mags. I know a 308 is plenty for Elk at reasonable distances but why not take the extra speed and thump of the 06 (even in a 22" tube). I seem to land on the 06 because I like the bigger case over the 308 even in a shorter but easier to maneuver 22" tube. Not to mention a shorter overall length which would make the gun better in timber but can still reach out in the open. At least this is what I have been mulling over in my head. Curious to hear what others think about this.

On a side I read a Chuck Hawks article a long time ago about having a 270 and 06 as a great all purpose two gun duo (not the end all be all or the only). But where both calibers excel at what they do, but one can back up the other just fine.

I've rolled this way in the past. The ought six for 180s. The 270 for the lighter stuff. 110 through 150s.

MinixJT

FNG
I have the EWSS in 30.06. Switched it to a Timney trigger and love it. Shots very well with factory ammo. Like it so well I’m thinking about getting one in 300 WM (no reason, just because I have only one 300 right now )

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Between those two, I'd go M70.

But then again, I'd also recommend handling an Xbolt and a Tikka T3x before you decide as well

EmperorMA

WKR
I had a M70 EW in .308 Winchester that was ridiculously accurate with a bunch of different factory ammo right out of the box. I sold it because I’m much more of a 6.5/.270/7mm guy than .30 cal but I’d have no hesitation buying a M70 EW again. Great rifles!

WKR
I have a M70 EW in .325wsm and its a good gun. Finding a load for it was a bit tough but also limited with bullet selection with that caliber. It shoots .75 moa groups and the trigger is easy to adjust to a lower weight.

I have a M70 EW in .325wsm and its a good gun. Finding a load for it was a bit tough but also limited with bullet selection with that caliber. It shoots .75 moa groups and the trigger is easy to adjust to a lower weight.
If a person loading for 325 WSM was not opposed to shooting a good 220 gr "slug" the 220 Sierra GameKing is a solid bullet with a thicker jacket than most of it's brethren - 215 primer and IMR 4007 gives me outstanding results from several Kimbers and one model 70 - worked exceedingly well on Moose and Elk even out approaching 500 yd mark

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
You’re comparing apples to watermelon. I’d pick the M70 10 of 10 tines over the Bergara. I have owned both and sold both. Tho M70 is just a better built rifle than the Bergara. But, the stock is a beast. I traded the m70 on a Kimber Hunter and I traded the tikka for partial towards a gunsafe.

Both guns were plenty accurate, btw.

Vaultman

WKR
In 30-06, I'd do the M70. Well any caliber I would choose that. (Only thing on the Bergara may be the threaded barrel, but I am not sure the model you are considering has that op.)

I like the 3-position safety. Miss mine on the ruger I sold. Though it never was as quite as the M700's I now have, I did not feel the need to check the 3-position every hour just to be sure it was still on safe.

OP
uwantasandwich
As I’m sure you were all dying to know which rifle I ended up going with...
here’s the new model 70 that just got finished up. Can’t wait to start shooting it. Thanks all for the input! in the end I went with the familiarity of the Winchester. 777A20E7-EE0E-44C2-8289-C76F79554BCB.jpeg