Another year, another WDFW donation

Hmmm maybe ill give it a few more years.

My hunting partner has drawn two quality deer tags both with 5 points. I won’t say where the tags were bc it will just make us all mad but you can’t win if you don’t play. I figure it’s a small fee compared to other states I apply in and the odds aren’t that great in those draws either. I get the frustration bc I’ve been there for the last 9 years. The tag I drew was a surprise for sure as I’m used to getting the “unsuccessful” banner a lot. This year I’m 2 tags out of 15 I’ve put in for, in fact this is the first quality tag I’ve at I’ve ever drawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As one of the few non residents that apply for Washington I wish they would narrow down what you can apply for. If you could only apply for one elk tag and one deer tag or one of the big 3 odds would go way up. Do that and keep the point system and that’d spread the applicants every year and really help with odds. You’re most likely going to only draw one tag a year anyways so why not make the odds of one tag higher.

As one of the few non residents that apply for Washington I wish they would narrow down what you can apply for. If you could only apply for one elk tag and one deer tag or one of the big 3 odds would go way up. Do that and keep the point system and that’d spread the applicants every year and really help with odds. You’re most likely going to only draw one tag a year anyways so why not make the odds of one tag higher.
It’s expensive to apply as a non res. I did it for a few years and after drawing another quality tag in the blues I quit applying there. They will never make you choose. They would lose way to much revenue.

It’s expensive to apply as a non res. I did it for a few years and after drawing another quality tag in the blues I quit applying there. They will never make you choose. They would lose way to much revenue.
Yup for sure. I lived in Washington a long time before moving to Idaho so I hate let those points go to waste. You have to buy a tag so it gives me another general hint every year at least

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I had more elk points than that. Once I draw a elk tag....im not spending a single dollar on drawings.
Don't give up. You're going to hate me for telling you but I just drew my 2nd quality archery tag in the Blue mountains. Going back to the same unit Dirtytough and I hunted in 2015. I think we had 11 points or so each when we drew before and this year I had 6.

The odds in WA suck big time but someone has to get lucky! I always figure it may as well be me!

slvrslngr

WKR
Nada for me but I only applied for OIL tags and points for everything else. Figured if I pulled a sheep, goat or moose tag it would be worth the hassle of coming back from Japan.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
Don't give up. You're going to hate me for telling you but I just drew my 2nd quality archery tag in the Blue mountains. Going back to the same unit Dirtytough and I hunted in 2015. I think we had 11 points or so each when we drew before and this year I had 6.

The odds in WA suck big time but someone has to get lucky! I always figure it may as well be me!
Someone has to get lucky for sure, says the lucky one! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to hearing how this hunt goes! Congratulations on an awesome draw.

Blank on me for any elk (I was drawing with more points than you for a worse tag)or quality deer, but drew multi-season deer, a 2nd deer antlerless archery, and an archery muley buck tag. Not a terrible year for deer.

Huntnnw

WKR
It’s pretty ridiculous, guy i work with has 25 points for moose and 12-15 for just about everything else and didnt get drawn.
who cares! those points mean nothing with the few tags and huge number of apps. Its a lottery and gotta put your mane in the hat every year someone gets drawn

Huntnnw

WKR
pretty dumb to not apply if you are a resident. Its the cheapest state you can apply in. Other than that you are a NR playing the game elsewhere.

Ive drawn 2 buck tags, 1 spring bear, 3 quality elk tags, 1 quality deer and moose

BluMtn

WKR

I have learned over the past 10 or 15 years that once you draw a tag for some reason it gets easier for you to draw another tag. I have several friends that are on their third tag. Ran into a guy couple years ago who was on his fourth tag. And archery seems to be the easiest to draw. I think they should do away with the archery tags put them in the modern rifle for locals only. Might have a chance if my name was the only one in there.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have learned over the past 10 or 15 years that once you draw a tag for some reason it gets easier for you to draw another tag. I have several friends that are on their third tag. Ran into a guy couple years ago who was on his fourth tag. And archery seems to be the easiest to draw. I think they should do away with the archery tags put them in the modern rifle for locals only. Might have a chance if my name was the only one in there.
I'm good with that as long as I can get my dad one of those rifle tags! I really want to get him on a good bull hunt before he can't do it anymore.

OP
RFOUST89

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
pretty dumb to not apply if you are a resident. Its the cheapest state you can apply in. Other than that you are a NR playing the game elsewhere.

Ive drawn 2 buck tags, 1 spring bear, 3 quality elk tags, 1 quality deer and moose
Dang, you're luckier than anyone I know then. I've drawn two out of state tags in back to back years, I still plan on applying in Washington, just gets old not drawing anything is all.

Huntnnw

WKR
problem with many is the choices they pick and weapon.. its not rocket science with some of these units people continue to apply in and wonder why they havent been selected.

Ive drawn UT book cliffs deer, NV deer, ID deer twice and elk 2 times all in the last 10 years

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
Saw the points to draw for basically everything was out of reach of my measly 3, so figured I’d just keep collecting for now

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
Struck out this year.

It would be nice to see WA go to a more discerning system but I don’t see that happening with the revenue generator they have created.

On the plus side my family got lucky this year 2 quality deer tags, 2 buck deer tags, 3 second deer tags, and a spring bear tag.

Drew desert unit early archery. Hard hunt with a bow but already getting after it with scouting. Anyone who has previously hunted this unit with a bow please pm if you have any tips!