Ant Control in Floorless Shelter

Moserkr

WKR
We got ants…. Obnoxious, and everywhere, by the tens of thousands. Apparently they are well known where we (buddy n I) are elk hunting.

Sleep system is a floorless shelter and bivy, backpacking in a bit. We could zip up the bivy, which Ive never had to do before, but these are the types of ants that will swarm you while you sleep, or even just stand there. Id prefer not to wake up to a million ants covering me and my gear the next morning.

Any recommendations on something we can backpack in that will keep them at bay or annihilate them instantly?? Or just suck it up and deal with em the old fashioned way.

Permethrin is on ants. Get yourselves an anteater. Raid the entire campsite before you leave so it is better for the next trip. But basically, I have no good legal solution other that a pile of bait close, but not to close.

Hammock and rest the guy lines with crazy amounts of permethrin and maybe some duct tape wrapped with the sticky side out. Never tried it…just an idea.

Those Terro ant bait stations will annihilate a colony overnight. JK. That’s very much not leave no trace. It’s their home, not ours…but I do use that stuff at home and it is amazing. Had ants on the counter last night. Put one of those out at 9:00pm. Woke up at 6:45am and haven’t seen another ant since.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
We hammocked once in fair weather and ants (different area) kept getting on us. Every ant killed released a smell attracting others - it was weird. They werent bad though and few in numbers. These are fairly big, aggressive, and bite lol. Ive never had ants swarm me for just standing there. Its wilderness so Id prefer to not nuke them chemically, although Im sure they could repopulate overnight. This will be mid september at 10,000’ so im not keen on hammocking, and mine is not even a 3 season set up.

Our other thought was diatomaceous earth. But so far I like pyrethrum and borax the best. Appreciate the ideas!

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Permethrin is on ants. Get yourselves an anteater. Raid the entire campsite before you leave so it is better for the next trip. But basically, I have no good legal solution other that a pile of bait close, but not to close.
I think you are onto something. We dont just need 1 anteater…. We need a pack string!!! Freaking genius. Thanks bubblehide. Close thread. Its handled, and now i can bring steak n beers!!

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Are you finding them everywhere up there? Couldn't you just camp in a different spot?
They are literally everywhere. At the truck, camp, glassing spot, where I dug a hole…. All different kinds too. The place is unique. Its just a known issue in the mtn range we are hunting.

Scorpion

WKR
I would suggest diatomaceous earth and sprinkle around the perimeter of your shelter. It is non toxic and should help.

One question, if the ants are that bad it can’t be very cold. Why the need for a heated shelter? Genuinely curious, I prefer a floorless shelter as well, but would make an exception in bad bug country.

I think you are onto something. We dont just need 1 anteater…. We need a pack string!!! Freaking genius. Thanks bubblehide. Close thread. Its handled, and now i can bring steak n beers!!
The beers are a prefered drink for anteaters, but steak can kill them, so you might want to leave the steak at home; fyi, no need to thank me again.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
I would suggest diatomaceous earth and sprinkle around the perimeter of your shelter. It is non toxic and should help.

One question, if the ants are that bad it can’t be very cold. Why the need for a heated shelter? Genuinely curious, I prefer a floorless shelter as well, but would make an exception in bad bug country.
Will put the DE next to borax, and maybe bring both. It could go either way with weather at 10,000’ in september. Only been in the area once, scouting last week, so cant tell you what to expect besides ants lol. Id rather just be prepared. Stove may get left behind depending on weather and potential fire hazards. If the cold keeps the ants away then its a mute post. Given our current weather and fires, Im expecting it to be hot, stoveless, and with ants.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
Cinnamon both repels and kills them. The oil repels and they suffocate when they breathe it in.