Ant Control in Floorless Shelter

Fatcamp

WKR
Will put the DE next to borax, and maybe bring both. It could go either way with weather at 10,000’ in september. Only been in the area once, scouting last week, so cant tell you what to expect besides ants lol. Id rather just be prepared. Stove may get left behind depending on weather and potential fire hazards. If the cold keeps the ants away then its a mute post. Given our current weather and fires, Im expecting it to be hot, stoveless, and with ants.

So then a tent makes sense.

Mike7

WKR
The double version of this in the permethrin treated option works well for 1 person if you don't want to have a custom inner nest built.

This can also be used for napping in the shade outside the floorless shelter.

I just wrap the edges of this netting in under my piece of Tyvek, and have never had a carpenter ant get in (maybe smaller ants would get in easier?), but a person could also rough hand sew the tyvek in place.

To lighten this up, you can replace the pole they send with an old carbon arrow cut to fit.

And to finalize customization, a person can set up their floorless shelter and sew a loop of ribbon inside at the exact place they want to hang the net from...and of course, seam seal the shelter where you do this.

def90

WKR
You have ants at the same time that it is cold enough that you can’t possibly sleep in a tent without a stove? How does that work out? They should be dormant in their hive if it’s that cold out.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Thanks guys! Great ideas. Cinnamon, sevin dust (will have to look up), and baby powder?! I will have an arsenal in the truck for these b@$#@%ds.

So I dont have a lightweight floored tent, and really like being able to stand up. Depending on weather, ants may be in their holes, we may be using the stove, maybe not. Even at 40* ants could be out and a stove feels nice. Its only a 2-3 mile pack in so I can bring extras. Just being prepared for anything - cant predict the weather. Not looking to buy a bunch of new gear. A nest would be nice but 99% of the time I wont use it. I will keep it in mind though, especially for future outings with my wife n kid. For hunting though, I prefer minimal gear/weight.

Sevin dust, also called livestock, pest control powder, etc We also use it here on our tomato plants and other garden plants to control caterpillers, etc. You can find it in garden sections of the big box stores.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Diatomaceous earth. That stuff works wonders on the little black house ants around our house. It also kills other bugs as well.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Peppermint oil spray.. it'll work on mice & other critters too
Although there are few bears in the area, I am hesitant to use stuff with strong odors mainly because of the possibility of spooking elk. Good to know for mice though in general.

JNDEER

WKR
Had an ant issue in a tree I wanted to hunt a tree stand out of. Brought a giant can of Walmart ant killer. Sprayed everything around the tree, on the tree, and any ant within a 5’ radius of the tree.

the ants have never returned.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Thanks @Beendare That idea is great for a future project. I do not have the time/resources for it now but a sod/liner/bug skirt would be awesome. Do you have a link or can you pm me more pics of how its setup?

@JNDEER Thanks, I figured ant killer would work but its the smell of it that concerns me again. Just setting trail cams with deet on taught me that deer/elk really dont like chemical scents.

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks @Beendare That idea is great for a future project. I do not have the time/resources for it now but a sod/liner/bug skirt would be awesome. Do you have a link or can you pm me more pics of how its setup?

@JNDEER Thanks, I figured ant killer would work but its the smell of it that concerns me again. Just setting trail cams with deet on taught me that deer/elk really dont like chemical scents.
The smell is so so. If you hike in early, find your camp spot and clear it for your TP then spray the hell out of everything and wait an hour or two before setting up the TP- you should be good.

either that- or invest in a double wall tent and a puffy jacket

Beendare

WKR

I

Last edited: