Antelope-3,3,3,3

archp625

WKR
You are probably confused by the title but I need to poll you guys. Can 3 guys kill 3 bucks in 3 days in a unit that needs 3 points special tag? One buddy wants to hunt 7 days and the other can only hunt 3. Is 3 not enough or is 7 too much? Thanks for your opinion.

Last edited:

Gonewest

WKR
Yes but I don’t think you need 3 days:). Last year I took my wife and step daughter and my cousin took his daughter. None off them had ever hunted out west and my wife had never hunted before. We started hunting late Friday afternoon. We had all 3 tags filled by 10am Sunday. The unit took less than 1 point to draw.

Two year ago in a left over unit we filled 3 tags in less than a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
More days, more fun. How about some fishing or bird hunting while out here?
I would plan on at least 4-5 days just in case of weather. If you tag put early great, head home or stay and fish.

FURMAN

WKR
If you are burning 3 points and a special tag I would expect to use the 7 days and actually find the quality animals that warrant the points and added cost of the special tag. I would guess you could be limited out in less than a few hours. If you just want to kill stuff save the points and money.

robie

WKR
The answer is yes. Assuming you aren't looking for an 80" buck.

Lots of factors go into what you are after on the hunt but you can do it and do it easily in a lot of units in WY.

BuzzH

WKR
I wouldn't apply with someone that puts a time limit on their days in the field...or I would drive/hunt separately.

Hunting isn't supposed to be a race...its supposed to be enjoyable. Also why I only hunt with a select few people when I have a tag also, or more than likely, hunt alone.

If just blasting 3 pronghorn bucks is the goal, you can do it in a half a day...not why I go, but to each their own.

Blinn

FNG
If YOU only have 3 days to hunt, then it is what it is. Make the most of your 3 days. Just make sure your buddy that can hunt 7 days goes out about 4 days before you so he can narrow down some options for you:).

wytx

WKR
Looking at the areas you can draw with 3 PP in the special I would say yes it can be done. There are some good areas to be drawn with 3 PP in the special draw.
Why not have the limited time guy fly out, you could haul his stuff and have more days to hunt ?

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Thank you all for your replies. Keep them coming. We already have units narrowed down with the Special tags and the regular tags. Now its down to what days we go out and hunt. Have any of you guys shown up the day after the opener. The one buddy that can only hunt three days is limited because of his wedding and honeymoon this year that myself and the other guy are in. So its really hard for me to say he cant go then turn around and be in his wedding two weeks later.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
The answer is yes. Assuming you aren't looking for an 80" buck.

Lots of factors go into what you are after on the hunt but you can do it and do it easily in a lot of units in WY.
This is our first experience out west so an 80'' is not our intentions. We want to go out figure out the layout of the land, figure out our camping gear and hopeful take an animal or two. We are also using this trip as a scouting and get to know the land for next years mule deer hunt.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Looking at the areas you can draw with 3 PP in the special I would say yes it can be done. There are some good areas to be drawn with 3 PP in the special draw.
Why not have the limited time guy fly out, you could haul his stuff and have more days to hunt ?
That's not a bad option at all. He told us that if he didn't drive with us he wasn't going. Hes a little hard headed.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
That's not a bad option at all. He told us that if he didn't drive with us he wasn't going. Hes a little hard headed.

If he was in my group, he wouldnt be going unless he would be flying. Not fair to the group to cut the hunt short because of his personal schedule.

I have a similar situation on going within my group and the hunter didnt even question the options, he first let us all know he would crunched for time and followed up it by "I plan to fly out, rent a car, meet you guys at the trailhead or camp, if I am sucessful drop the animal at a processor with it being paid in full prior to you guys picking it up on your way home, and fly home. I also would like to toss you guys a few bucks for bringing my gear out and hopefully my gear and meat home"

^ thats the kind of guy I will continue to hunt with.

Russp17

WKR
ption at all. He told us that if he d

I would either have him fly so you can adjust the hunt if need be or I would buy a point and go with 4 next year when time isn't a constraint. I just don't think I would want to hurry my hunt that you have been waiting for. 3 days is a quick hunt to get 3 animals!

BuzzH

WKR
I
Thank you all for your replies. Keep them coming. We already have units narrowed down with the Special tags and the regular tags. Now its down to what days we go out and hunt. Have any of you guys shown up the day after the opener. The one buddy that can only hunt three days is limited because of his wedding and honeymoon this year that myself and the other guy are in. So its really hard for me to say he cant go then turn around and be in his wedding two weeks later.

There's one in every group....I'd be looking at a 2,2,2,3 hunt where 2 guys, can hunt 2 weeks, when they want, for 2 great pronghorn with 3 points.

Then next year, I would be looking where 3 guys can use 4 points to hunt another area next year...and still make your buddy drive separate. Wouldn't want him to miss his wedding anniversary that lands right in the middle of hunting season.

Your buddy needs a life coach and planner...

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I

There's one in every group....I'd be looking at a 2,2,2,3 hunt where 2 guys, can hunt 2 weeks, when they want, for 2 great pronghorn with 3 points.

Then next year, I would be looking where 3 guys can use 4 points to hunt another area next year...and still make your buddy drive separate. Wouldn't want him to miss his wedding anniversary that lands right in the middle of hunting season.

Your buddy needs a life coach and planner...
This is awesome and made me laugh out loud at work.

j_volt

WKR
The friend that wants go hunt 7 days sounds like a real gentleman and a scholar. A true sportsman and great friend.

cnelk

WKR
3 days is better than 0.

Nobody lives the guy's life that can only hunt the 3 days.
And he sure the hell dont live yours.

BuzzH

WKR
This is awesome and made me laugh out loud at work.

I was laughing pretty hard when I typed it...glad you didn't take it the wrong way like cnelk. It must be tough for him to sit down at the computer with a stick up his ass.

Good luck on your hunt, you'll have a good time.

cnelk

WKR
Man, Somebody is really sensitive, I didnt even reference you BuzzH.
Is that what BHA meetings teach?