Antelope Arrow Set Up's... What are you running?

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a solid archery goat hunt here where I will have chance at 80" or better! That being said wind, distance and speed are always a factor when it comes to antelope shots. That being said... Does everyone run the same hunting arrow all the time or change it up based on the factors listed above?

I usually run a 480/500 grain with AAE Max Stealth but thinking of shooting maybe a lower 400 grain arrow and 3 vanes or smaller 4 fletch for wind and distance. Also be nice have a little more speed. Maybe no change is needed but always interested to ask since drawing Antelope is such a rarity in NM for at least!

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I run the same arrow for everything. VAP TKO, 75gr outserts and heat vanes with helical fletching. I've killed Antelope, Deer, and Elk with it her in WY no issues.

S.Clancy

WKR
Antelope react really badly to a loud bow. I had many antelope "jump" my arrow when I shot lighter and faster. Now 500+ gr and quiet = dead antelope. I would stay where you are.

OP
OCHO505

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Actually lots of people use a lighter arrow kind of how I came to the possibility of trying it. I may just switch to a 3 vane low profile for less wind. Thanks for the replies...

I use same setup I use for elk and everything else. 26” Easton arrow weighing in at 486 with flex fletch Sk200 vanes. Ironwill broadhead

Jaker_cc

WKR
550 gr black eagle spartan with a 100 gr kudu head. Speeds about 297. I don’t change my setup to chase different animals. I built my bow, found an arrow that flew perfectly, sharp broadhead, and shoot everything with it.

Ajax2744

FNG
For deer and antelope I run a victory vap with a firenock outsert, rage hypodermic, 3 bohning heat vanes. TAW right around 460. Has worked good for me on deer and antelope the past few years

I only change heads depending on game. I run 450TAW running mid 280's. For whitetail and pronghorn I like a big mechanical or wide fixed head (if it is closer shots)

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I have two arrow setups that I interchange site apertures with, one for elk/moose and one for goats/deer. My goat arrow is a three fletched Easton Carbon Injexion with a 100g Vented Iron Will broadhead. Average speed through chrono is 309fps. Goat in my avatar was taken at 105yds with this arrow setup.

Pretty sure that's false. Heavy arrows just retain momentum.
Well to go fast your arrow must be light, the faster it goes the more resistance acts on it, so no it's not a law but in a way its inversely proportional.

Last edited:

three5x5s

WKR
I drew a solid archery goat hunt here where I will have chance at 80" or better! That being said wind, distance and speed are always a factor when it comes to antelope shots. That being said... Does everyone run the same hunting arrow all the time or change it up based on the factors listed above?

I usually run a 480/500 grain with AAE Max Stealth but thinking of shooting maybe a lower 400 grain arrow and 3 vanes or smaller 4 fletch for wind and distance. Also be nice have a little more speed. Maybe no change is needed but always interested to ask since drawing Antelope is such a rarity in NM for at least!
I'm probably not even an average archer so take that into account. Without knowing your DL, poundage, bows real IBO, and your true marksmanship its hard to say 400gr. or 600gr. If your capable of ethical shots out to 100 yards but you can only get your sight pins to 80 w/ 500 grains then I would drop weight to get to your full ability. If your shooting heavy arrows fast then I may not change. Are you good at judging distance? Have plenty of time to use your range finder? Try and maybe find middle ground. Fast but still quiet and accurate. Antelope aren't real thick. Some are in love with the heavy slow arrow, but few of them would pick a 45/70 for a sheep hunt where they could have a long range shot. Bullet coefficient is a an important thing, but not so much for arrows, why is that?

Well to go fast your arrow must be light, the faster it goes the more resistance acts on it, so no it's not a law but in a way its inversely proportional.

Yeah but a 400g arrow out of the same bow as a 500g arrow will still hit higher at every distance.

Yeah with a huge a penalty in energy and increase in noise. So what do you gain in the praire where pin gap doesnt matter.

OP
OCHO505

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Well in addition to the weight the vanes would be big I am not shooting a huge COC most likely an Exodus or TOA and won't need the big AAE Max Stealth for less wind. I am only going from 485 to 445 but mostly because I would like smaller vane and likely 3 fletch opposed to 4. I am not going from 550 to 400...

I have shot lots of animals unranged so in that regard it does matter. I am not aimlessly shooting as I am avid indoor and 3D shooter. It helps to know what 44 yards looks like. I'm not perfect but I can do well.

OP
OCHO505

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Bowtech SR6 74#'s 28.5, Mach 1 74# 28.5, Bowtech Invasion same and Bowtech Reign 6 77#.... Taking them to 100 let the groups sort them out!

Mach 1 the first non Bowtech I have bought in quite a while!