Antelope Arrow Set Up's... What are you running?

Sled

WKR
Actually lots of people use a lighter arrow kind of how I came to the possibility of trying it. I may just switch to a 3 vane low profile for less wind. Thanks for the replies...

i've used the same arrow for spot and stalk with antelope. shots are usually longer and wind is a factor. if you like to switch things up, you might choose a light setup with 4 low vanes and send it out as fast as your draw length will allow. accuracy still trumps speed but pay attention to their situational awareness. when they get spooked they will accelerate forward and take off like a rocket. for that reason, i prefer to shoot them bedded if possible.

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
Was listening to Dudley’s latest podcast tonight, and he was saying in a hunting situation he prefers a heavier arrow over a light one in a windy situation.

I tried a few different fletching combos and for me 3 AAE Max Stealth shot the best in the wind on a FMJ weighing in at 510 grains with Exodus head.

Yeah with a huge a penalty in energy and increase in noise. So what do you gain in the praire where pin gap doesnt matter.
I would say pin gap absolutely matters in the prairie where you have no reference to judge distance and typically shoot further than you would in elk or whitetail woods.

I would say pin gap absolutely matters in the prairie where you have no reference to judge distance and typically shoot further than you would in elk or whitetail woods.
If I'm shooting past 40 I'm using a rangefinder, 1-2 in error past 60 yards could be a lost animal. I understand flatter=more room for error, but given you have a rangefinder there's no reason for it. I'd bet if you are shooting 80-90 yards you have a slider and a well put together dope tape that you've checked.
Obviously we can agree to disagree all day, just my opinions.

Sled

WKR
Was listening to Dudley’s latest podcast tonight, and he was saying in a hunting situation he prefers a heavier arrow over a light one in a windy situation.

I tried a few different fletching combos and for me 3 AAE Max Stealth shot the best in the wind on a FMJ weighing in at 510 grains with Exodus head.

With a the right vanes and all else being equal, I'd agree about the heavier arrow is less likely to blow off target. If I'm not sitting water I still want as fast of an arrow that I can get. I'll just try to hunt earlier before the winds come up.

OP
OCHO505

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the big question is what's light. I don't feel like 450 vs 515 for an goat is a "light arrow" I am going with smaller vanes than AAE Max Stealth and maybe going away from 4 Fletch to 3... Not quiet sure yet... My RIP TKO just over 450...

Sled

WKR
It's all relative. Goats don't need 500+ grain arrows. For my setup 425ish to 350 is light. Reasonable FOC is good enough as long as it flys well and fits the spine of your arrow.

With that said, you can probably shoot those tko's and be satisfied it'll do what you want.

I shoot a 446 grain rip Tko that has the 50 grain insert/outserts and 100 grain g5 montecs. I killed a horns shorter than ears antelope in Nevada at 94 yards. The wind was pretty steady and it bucked the wind and made a good shot. Take that for what it is but the same arrow setup will do a number on a mule deer too

KineKilla

WKR
Let me see what I can find in the arrow boneyard....yup, that'll do.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

mtnlomo

FNG
Personally, where legal for antelope I would push a mechanical, same weight as your other broadheads and on the same arrow that you normally shoot. Having confidence in your arrow build is crucial, so don't change the arrow, just screw in a mechanical. Antelope are thin skinned, and longer shots are normal on the prairie which is why I think antelope hunting is one arena where mechanicals have a distinct and definite advantage to fixed blades.

550 gr black eagle spartan with a 100 gr kudu head. Speeds about 297. I don’t change my setup to chase different animals. I built my bow, found an arrow that flew perfectly, sharp broadhead, and shoot everything with it.

I’d like to see your bow setup! Sounds about perfect lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OCHO505

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just gonna swap the vanes 4 fletch AAE max stealth’s little big for further shots (catch a lot of wind) and there’s usually some wind to factor. I actually have a dozen unfletched. I’ll build.

My mach 1 is cooking. 488 grain arrow 293. RIP TKO w/ 75 Brass Hit and Iron Will Titanium Sleeve.

I drew a solid archery goat hunt here where I will have chance at 80" or better! That being said wind, distance and speed are always a factor when it comes to antelope shots. That being said... Does everyone run the same hunting arrow all the time or change it up based on the factors listed above?

I usually run a 480/500 grain with AAE Max Stealth but thinking of shooting maybe a lower 400 grain arrow and 3 vanes or smaller 4 fletch for wind and distance. Also be nice have a little more speed. Maybe no change is needed but always interested to ask since drawing Antelope is such a rarity in NM for at least!
I keep the same hunting arrow set up for the whole season, to include Antelope. I run the Valkyrie system with a 4 fletch AAE pro max vanes, 200grain ti jaggers solid. I use the 300 reign arrow and my arrow is 478.8-480 grains. The only thing I change is I use the deathswitch 200 grain mechanicals for antelope .

I shoot the same setup for Antelope that I use for all big game. 486 grain arrow. Skinny shaft 20 perfect FOC.

Attachments

• D62A553E-927F-4CDC-8BC3-A611E0C80B3B.jpeg
    D62A553E-927F-4CDC-8BC3-A611E0C80B3B.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 21
My two antelope I have killed have both been with the same arrow set up I use for whitetails... 5mm FMJ with 100 grain NAP Spitfire XXX. Total weight 480grains. Does the job, and does it well

tracker12

WKR
Nothing special needed for an antelope. Only consideration is the wind that is usually present in lope country. Small diameter arrow and Low profile vanes help.