Antelope blind

I’m getting ready to build me a plywood blind to hunt antelope over water this coming fall. I’m curious if anyone who has built themselves a blind have any tips or tricks to make their blind more efficient. I have a pretty good idea on how I’m going to build mine just looking for additional ideas.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Haha! So true, unfortunately. Unless you are in a stationary location and able to drive right to it, a portable blind works better. Also easier to move and conceal.

wytx

WKR
Any decent sage around, dig a pit.
I shot my archery buck out of a blind made of snow fence and burlap. 4 t posts, snow fence and burlap to cover it all except for my shooting port.

OP
T
Check the price if plywood then go buy a double bull.
I’ve gotten a stash of odds and ends plywood I’ve been saving for a couple years. Trust me, if I had to go buy the wood right now this project would be a no go. I also have the double bull blind for more portable spots.

OP
T
Haha! So true, unfortunately. Unless you are in a stationary location and able to drive right to it, a portable blind works better. Also easier to move and conceal.
I’ve gotten a spot that this blind will go on. I also have a pop up blind that I will use for more run and gun spots. My problem is I’ve had goats shy away from the portable blind. I want something in place ahead of season that they can get use too.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
They'll get used to a popup. I've used one and had it set up prior to the season, and left it up several weeks. I've found that blinds with more of a Matte finish work better, and those with brush loops to put brush in help. Digging it in can help even more.

TSAMP

WKR
Where ya hunting? I know the wind can eat up a pop up blind quite easily. it's important for quiet windows, preferably tinted in a fixed blind. Also air tight so wind isn't howling through or shaking things.

OP
T
They'll get used to a popup. I've used one and had it set up prior to the season, and left it up several weeks. I've found that blinds with more of a Matte finish work better, and those with brush loops to put brush in help. Digging it in can help even more.
I agree. Given time they will get used to anything put there. My thoughts are I want something to survive the wind and cattle in the area. I figured the plywood would be able to stand up to the conditions better. I’ve shot a couple bucks out of pop ups.

WCB

WKR
#1 make sure it is big enough. Bring your bow during construction make sure you can draw.

#2 Make sure you have some port holes are peep holes out the back to check for animals coming in. I've seen guys build permanent blinds with no way to see anywhere but straight out the front.

#3 I would also make sure you paint the inside of it black.

#4 Build a good quiet bow hanging system in it. Also hangers for a pack or other storage. I have sat in some well built structurally blinds but had to set crap on the floor and lean a bow or rifle in a corner...makes no sense.

If I had time and a spot to do this I would dig it in a bit and paint it in a way that blends it in better more so for myself and aesthetics. Maybye make a curtain system with string or bungees so you can slide fabric windows back and forth to block sun or block some of the window out if needed.

I wouldn't let cattle have a free for all with your new creation. Trust me, they have nothing to do all day, every day. I've seen plywood blinds look like a tornado hit them after cattle get around them. If there are cattle, I'd still put a two strand barbed wire fence around it.

I've made some blinds of the years, friend did as well. Some really nice ones. For me, a pop up put up two weeks before the season staked down, and three t-post pounded in and lashed to the blind via bungee, or rope will not budge. It is way easier to transport etc plus no storage of you blind and it's 5 panels.

In saying that, a wood blind is normally more comfortable, but for me, just aren't worth the effort.

OP
T
Where ya hunting? I know the wind can eat up a pop up blind quite easily. it's important for quiet windows, preferably tinted in a fixed blind. Also air tight so wind isn't howling through or shaking things.
#1 make sure it is big enough. Bring your bow during construction make sure you can draw.

#2 Make sure you have some port holes are peep holes out the back to check for animals coming in. I've seen guys build permanent blinds with no way to see anywhere but straight out the front.

#3 I would also make sure you paint the inside of it black.

#4 Build a good quiet bow hanging system in it. Also hangers for a pack or other storage. I have sat in some well built structurally blinds but had to set crap on the floor and lean a bow or rifle in a corner...makes no sense.

If I had time and a spot to do this I would dig it in a bit and paint it in a way that blends it in better more so for myself and aesthetics. Maybye make a curtain system with string or bungees so you can slide fabric windows back and forth to block sun or block some of the window out if needed.
Great ideas, thanks for the info.

OP
T
I wouldn't let cattle have a free for all with your new creation. Trust me, they have nothing to do all day, every day. I've seen plywood blinds look like a tornado hit them after cattle get around them. If there are cattle, I'd still put a two strand barbed wire fence around it.

I've made some blinds of the years, friend did as well. Some really nice ones. For me, a pop up put up two weeks before the season staked down, and three t-post pounded in and lashed to the blind via bungee, or rope will not budge. It is way easier to transport etc plus no storage of you blind and it's 5 panels.

In saying that, a wood blind is normally more comfortable, but for me, just aren't worth the effort.
My only thing with the pop up is they are easier to disappear. I know of a few pop ups that have disappeared in my area. A plywood blind is a lot harder to pickup and take off with. That small percentage of people make it hard for the rest of us.

Erict

WKR
May want to consider a "trap door" vent in the ceiling for cooling and/or something big enough to sneak your head out with binoculars/spotting scope.